Prototype for everything corner.

31 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

I seem to recall a 2+2 HST running on a Manchester Airport to Scotland service in place of a 158 in BR days. Had to be restricted in speed because although it went like the proverbial it was almost impossible to stop at speeds approaching 100mph.

Hi There,

That reminds me of a chap I once worked with that had been involved with the testing of the class 91's when new and he claimed that 0-60 mph light engine was 12 seconds. The chap in question was crackers so I have no way of knowing if this is true or not.

Gibbo.

• Funny 4

3 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

I seem to recall a 2+2 HST running on a Manchester Airport to Scotland service in place of a 158 in BR days. Had to be restricted in speed because although it went like the proverbial it was almost impossible to stop at speeds approaching 100mph.

GWR have run 2+2 And 2+1 formations as DMU replacements.

Cheers 

David 

• Like 3

On 04/12/2019 at 21:52, keefer said:

What would the max. speed for that formation be? Possibly not enough brake force for 125mph running

GWR 2+4s are restricted to 100mph. If running as a 2+3 because a coach has had to come out for one reason or another the speed drops to a 75mph limit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi There,

That reminds me of a chap I once worked with that had been involved with the testing of the class 91's when new and he claimed that 0-60 mph light engine was 12 seconds. The chap in question was crackers so I have no way of knowing if this is true or not.

Gibbo.

I've not ridden a light Class 91, but the Class 90 was pretty sharp. I was working around Willesden - Wembley area when they were being built and used to see them running in with a spare rake of ecs. 

I got talking to one driver who was on one just being released to traffic. He offered me a lift to Euston to catch my train home and show me what they were like. We got turned out Fast line at West London Junction and as he demonstrated setting the auto pilot to 60mph I felt the seat pressing into my back.

• Like 4

Have you ever fancied a retro underground layout, but had little idea of how the platforms might have looked circa 1965? 

Here is a fascinating shot of what I believe to be Paddington Circle/District lines station at that time, although it might be Edgware Road. 

269770620_paddingtoncirclelineplatforms1960s.jpg.4f6ddb070e7b1fdd5e969d28d4b8e96c.jpg

• Like 10

1 hour ago, talisman56 said:

It's not Paddington - there's only two platforms there. From the look of the train describers, it's Earls Court.

Oooops, that'll teach me for trying to be a clever git.

Thanks Talisman. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

and as he demonstrated setting the auto pilot to 60mph I felt the seat pressing into my back.

You could experience this on a class 52 light engine as well.  One day in the 70s I was riding in the cab of one light engine from Swansea, and as we had a secondman (who was driving) I was sitting on the desk. As we passed Aberavon (we spelled it like that in those days), an MGB sports car's driver attracted our attention as he came off the roundabout that in those days was the start of the M4 Port Talbot bypass.  We were doing about 40, and, challenge accepted, opened up.  We paced him to 75mph, the limit for a light engine because of braking distance, and then left him to it, but I'd been propelled off the desk up against the cab rear!  

37s were pretty quick off the mark as well, but there was more to hang on to...

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

You could experience this on a class 52 light engine as well.  One day in the 70s I was riding in the cab of one light engine from Swansea, and as we had a secondman (who was driving) I was sitting on the desk. As we passed Aberavon (we spelled it like that in those days), an MGB sports car's driver attracted our attention as he came off the roundabout that in those days was the start of the M4 Port Talbot bypass.  We were doing about 40, and, challenge accepted, opened up.  We paced him to 75mph, the limit for a light engine because of braking distance, and then left him to it, but I'd been propelled off the desk up against the cab rear!  

37s were pretty quick off the mark as well, but there was more to hang on to...

Fastest accelleration I experienced was one of the older ac electrics on a run out of Crewe. It picked up 3 coaches off for Birmingham off a Holyhead - Euston around 4am. It was crammed with Guinness-filled Irishmen so the driver who I had been chatting to awaiting its arrival invited me up front. We ambled along to Basford Hall then he opened up for the bank to Whitmore, passing Betley Road at over 100 mph.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

This doesn't seem to be in an engineering possession though with a high powered lens you can't see much of the surroundings

Toton

That could possibly be Barrow hill, there is a line in top right corner that maybe line to shed

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

This doesn't seem to be in an engineering possession though with a high powered lens you can't see much of the surroundings

Toton

A brilliant photo. Depending on the line and job involved, a possession can extend over a significant length - quite a number of miles.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

Would you really need a possession if all that was being done was dropping sleepers for a spot replacement programme?

Probably not then, now you need all lines stopped all orange three hospitality units two offices and a helicopter landing pad!

• Like 2
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, russ p said:

Probably not then, now you need all lines stopped all orange three hospitality units two offices and a helicopter landing pad!

In that case why not save a lot of trouble and just drop the sleepers from the helicopter?  ;)

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Metr0Land said:

Apparently this 37 received attention at St Blazey and was sent out on a test with just 1 wagon - ideal for those compact layouts

Drinnick Mill

I once saw a Class 50 heading west through Hayle with a single 16 ton mineral wagon. I posted the picture somewhere on here a long time ago.

• Like 2