Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Fat Controller said:

They often had the bolt-holes drilled for buffing gear; I remember a number of tender underframes at our local steelworks had some wnere buffers had replaced the loco- tender drawgear. 

As for coupling within a train, loco-end to loco-end would work...

The 2 extra ones in the picture are both facing backwards, so the first would couple buffers to buffer with the train one.

That would mean extra buffing gear on both tenders.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, LMS2968 said:

You could generally tell a sludge tender as a seemingly high proportion of said sludge tended to be carried on its outer faces rather than in the tank. However, another Railway, the L&YR, often suffered water shortages at one of its outposts, Blackpool, and whole trains of detached tenders full of water would make their way there from Preston. Perhaps the ER had a similar shortage?

Alternatively, the second tender appears very clean (as does the loco) so possibly ex-works on its way to a shed for a tender swop. The state of the third tender doesn't really add credence to this theory.

Assuming the photo is late August 1951 then 64179 has just been shopped at Doncaster, it's home shed also being Doncaster. That to my mind makes the loco an odd choice to take loco tenders (not both in ex-works condition) for swapping south.  Were new sludge tenders created from withdrawn GN locos in the early 50s? Even if only some of the info on the page I linked to is correct then 2 GN tenders in a train on the same stretch of line makes, to my uneducated eye, sludge tenders a reasonable guess.

Simon

Edited by 65179

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Can't quite manage to get your BR Tops style number transfers looking neat and tidy...? Fear not, the day shift in the Factory at Old Oak beat you to it back in 1974...

D7017 SF 1974.png

Even the spec panel under the number has wonky characters.

I assumed these were a one piece transfer.

• Like 1

On 01/02/2020 at 10:23, F-UnitMad said:

Paint the track carefully, yes - but just tip the ballast out all over the place....

And, you will need green paint too, according to this press picture just put out by NR about possessions in Suffolk this weekend 

New track at Colchester.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
On 07/02/2020 at 08:55, Mel_H said:

When you want to run all three of your Baccy Warships together....

[D838 leading, departing Newton Abbot 9/4/69, westbound. Picture: Colour-Rail 204242. Visit www.colour-rail.com]

D838.png

West of England trains over the Berks & Hants were double headed with Warships in those days, 4,400hp to cope with a faster timetable; the 3rd loco may well be a pilot for the South Devon banks.   With 6,600hp coming out of 240 tons of locos, and a dry rail, the should haveno bother getting to Plymouth...

• Like 1

On 07/02/2020 at 16:55, Mel_H said:

When you want to run all three of your Baccy Warships together....

[D838 leading, departing Newton Abbot 9/4/69, westbound. Picture: Colour-Rail 204242. Visit www.colour-rail.com]

D838.png

I think that's a candidate for the "When the Real Thing Looks Like a Model" thread. I'd swear the sidings in the background look like slightly wonkily laid, and rather minimally ballasted Streamline. 

Edited by PatB

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, The Johnster said:

West of England trains over the Berks & Hants were double headed with Warships in those days, 4,400hp to cope with a faster timetable; the 3rd loco may well be a pilot for the South Devon banks.   With 6,600hp coming out of 240 tons of locos, and a dry rail, the should haveno bother getting to Plymouth...

Or just an easy way of getting a spare loco back to Laira?

• RMweb Gold

A WR roof tank RU ....doesnt look like it survived, not mentioned on Vintage Carriage Trust register ... and given unrefurbished  VB / Steam heat on BR1 bogies probably a bit of a dinosaur by this time .

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2