Prototype for everything corner.

Change of modelling era from 1960s passenger to 2020s freight? Couple of Mk1 BGs left over from the old layout? No problem:

671531745_66766Rotherham24feb2020.jpg.d0de17547d9b1d9cb29002df4290951c.jpg

This was a Long Marston to Gascoigne Wood working today. The BGs are apparently Porterbrook barrier/match/translator vehicles, and the coal hoppers are GBRF ones.

Don't ask me why.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, eastwestdivide said:

Change of modelling era from 1960s passenger to 2020s freight? Couple of Mk1 BGs left over from the old layout? No problem:

This was a Long Marston to Gascoigne Wood working today. The BGs are apparently Porterbrook barrier/match/translator vehicles, and the coal hoppers are GBRF ones.

Don't ask me why.

Perhaps just working them to somewhere, to avoid the need for an extra path, loco and driver?

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

Don't ask me why.

If they are translator vehicles with MU couplers between them , not sure it's a good idea to couple a load of hoppers onto them 

6 hours ago, russ p said:

If they are translator vehicles with MU couplers between them , not sure it's a good idea to couple a load of hoppers onto them 

I don’t think they have any special couplings between them, the coaches appear to have buffers in my shots below, and AFAIK from Flickr searches they’re only used for HST stock transfers, so putting 2+2 together they probably have drop-head buckeyes...

Bluebird Oddball

025E7A9B-ADF6-4274-ADE8-2AF9AB06C786.jpeg.cdbf079c1b97db7adce9139b3106ad9f.jpeg

E7FB7E0E-9766-40F8-B457-BA34F23C3058.jpeg.00c18aa828d9cf0953dd7ad766ce95d0.jpeg

Coach nos. 6393 & 6394.

Thanks,

Jack.

• Like 8

Pretty certain it was only EWS who fitted their coal hoppers with buck-eye type couplings. I don't think the thing with a shock-absorber attached is a buffer, as it's not doing anything, though I'm not sure what it is; something to do with 'damping the movement of the bogie, perhaps? I found a clearer view on Martyn Read's site:-

https://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/H/HYA-bogie-coal-hoppers/i-sgRH5Vw/A

• Agree 1

I was looking at Martin Zero's YouTube video on Horwich works, during which he showed this still: untit239.jpgI hope he doesn't mind me pinching it, but as it's also a plug for his videos, probably not.

He admits that he isn't knowledgeable on steam, so he probably didn't realise what this photo shows. The Class J goods is triple headed, very unusual in steam days, by Crab 2813, a Super D and a 4F passing Nuneaton Up Sdgs signal box. The Crab is in fore gear but the signals, assuming they apply to this line, are all On. The Crab has BRITISH RAILWAYS in full down the tender so early BR days, and the 2B shed code is not on a plate but hand painted on, 1968 style.

Presumably the 4F has failed but why the need for two big engines to drag its train is a bit of a mystery.

Edited by LMS2968
  • Like 4

Haven't got a photo but I always think it is surreal that the latest class 800s with all their technology will still run along track controlled by good old manually controlled semaphore signals complete with bell code communication etc. I'm sure this happens at some point between Worcester and Hereford. Are there any semaphores left in Cornwall or anywhere else on the network where these run?

Edited by Chris M
  • Agree 1

Just now, Chris M said:

Haven't got a photo but I always think it is surreal that the latest class 800s with all their technology will still run along track controlled by good old manually controlled semaphore signals complete with bell code communication etc. I'm sure this happens at some point between Worcester and Hereford. Are there any semaphores left in Cornwall?

And LNER's versions under semaphores on the Highland main line, and at Harrogate

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Chris M said:

Are there any semaphores left in Cornwall or anywhere else on the network where these run?

There's a photo on Wikipedia on the page for Par station of an 802 passing the semaphores there; if they've gone it must've been very recently.

• RMweb Gold

Haven't got a photo but I always think it is surreal that the latest class 800s with all their technology will still run along track controlled by good old manually controlled semaphore signals complete with bell code communication etc. I'm sure this happens at some point between Worcester and Hereford. Are there any semaphores left in Cornwall or anywhere else on the network where these run?

Pockets in west Wales where they also run.  Pembrey and Burry Port, and also Ferryside.  Kidwelly still has a box controlling the level crossing but colour light signals.  Pic at Ferryside during testing before sched services started.

rev800009 FYS 02Dec17 5Z41 CMN-Stoke Gifford.jpg

Edited by Metr0Land
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Haven't got a photo but I always think it is surreal that the latest class 800s with all their technology will still run along track controlled by good old manually controlled semaphore signals complete with bell code communication etc.

Almost the same thing was said when IC125s were introduced, although over the years the number of places you could see this did reduce somewhat.

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Chris M said:

Thanks. It does look like a bad mixing of eras though. 

Yes, but it does provide opportunities to run "modern" traction on "steam/mechanical signalling era" layouts without the tut-tut brigade spitting their dummies out.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, iands said:

Yes, but it does provide opportunities to run "modern" traction on "steam/mechanical signalling era" layouts without the tut-tut brigade spitting their dummies out.

There will be plenty of other details that separate the eras. Some of the signals have modern cages on them, there are the roadsign-style speed signs, flat bottomed (CWR?) track, and that's just a few of the things within the railway boundary. Probably one rivet changed somewhere too.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LMS2968 said:

I was looking at Martin Zero's YouTube video on Horwich works, during which he showed this still: untit239.jpgI hope he doesn't mind me pinching it, but as it's also a plug for his videos, probably not.

He admits that he isn't knowledgeable on steam, so he probably didn't realise what this photo shows. The Class J goods is triple headed, very unusual in steam days, by Crab 2813, a Super D and a 4F passing Nuneaton Up Sdgs signal box. The Crab is in fore gear but the signals, assuming they apply to this line, are all On. The Crab has BRITISH RAILWAYS in full down the tender so early BR days, and the 2B shed code is not on a plate but hand painted on, 1968 style.

Presumably the 4F has failed but why the need for two big engines to drag its train is a bit of a mystery.

This photo also appears in the book 'The Birmingham to Leicester Line' by Chris Banks. The caption suggests the most likely explanation is that the train engine will have uncoupled from its train, the other two locos arrived on other freights, and the three locos are coupled together and will make their way to Nuneaton shed which is on the other side of the main lines, thus saving paths. This type of movement was common practice. Apparently it was a Nuneaton oddity to have the headlamp over the buffer instead of in the centre. It is dated 1951.

Graham    

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, LMS2968 said:

This situation has come up on other threads.

it could just be a way if getting locos to where

they were needed without requiring extra paths.

10 hours ago, rab said:

10 hours ago, rab said:

What makes this different is that the three locos are at the head of a train on a running line, presumably a loop, and are not running light - at this point anyway - to or from a shed. That might be the reason and the engines are about to move away from the train, but that isn't evident from the photo.

By the way, dropping the head - and tail - lamp over the nearest buffer instead of correctly in the middle for a Class G (light engine) move was common everywhere: it was easier and saved going on to the four foot. A loco dropping into a station to work an express would have a lamp over one buffer as its tail lamp, and on coupling to the stock the other side lamp iron would become occupied. The train in the photo is carrying - rightly or wrongly - Class J lamps: Mineral or Empty Wagons not fitted.

• Like 1

On 24/02/2020 at 16:55, Fat Controller said:

Perhaps just working them to somewhere, to avoid the need for an extra path, loco and driver?

On those BGs in the train of hoppers, the wnxx site reports that they're to be used for the transfer of ex-LNER HST stock from Gascoigne Wood to East Midlands Railway, as those HSTs are replacing EM's current ones shortly (because of their better accessibility).

• Informative/Useful 2