Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Chris M said:

Despite this photo evidence and even though I like to run rakes with mixed liveries I  couldn't run a crimson & cream coach in one of my rakes when running as summer of 1963; just the thought of doing it makes me feel uncomfortable.

There were a few still around in '63; my memory suggests they were all gone by the end of '64.  This would mean a coach not repainted since at least 1956, 7 years in '63.  Fixed rakes on principal expresses were wall to wall lined maroon by then but cross country and secondary main line services could and did throw up blood'n'custard coaches, especially ex LMS and LNER designs.  It's just an impression, but the WR seems to have been more keen to repaint it's ex GW designed stock in lined maroon, though they were being culled rapidly by '63, as was the Southern, whose Bulleid stock lasted a few more years in malachite.  There must have been a good number of Staniers and Thompsons built by BR in blood/custard that carried that livery until withdrawal.

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, 62613 said:

Baguley Fold Junction, with the cattle pens for the abbatoir left and top?

And a model railway connection with the CIS building central on the backdrop

• Informative/Useful 1

Trainspotters are like anglers when it comes to tall stories, but when I got this tip off......I was a tad sceptical.

Cardiff Canton 'Load Bank' compound, Hallowe'en 1970.

The nearest 25kv wires (then) were in Birmingham.

Brian R

Scan-Canton-15-mod-1.jpg

• Like 13

On 09/03/2020 at 08:14, Chris M said:

Despite this photo evidence and even though I like to run rakes with mixed liveries I  couldn't run a crimson & cream coach in one of my rakes when running as summer of 1963; just the thought of doing it makes me feel uncomfortable.

I don't see why it makes you feel that way. For me, that is one of the joys of model railway operation. As long as I'm pretty sure it could happen, then in my imagination it will. 

After all, there were hundreds of rakes of coaches which spent most of the year in sidings, and were only dragged out for summer/bank holiday special services. I remember that during the big freeze early in 1963, all manner of 'waiting for scrap' coaching stock was pressed into service to replace frozen DMUs. 

Watching from our kitchen window, it was like I had been transported back 10-15 years. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, br2975 said:

Auto train, twenties style, and NO not the 1920s !

Brian R

DSCF2022.JPG

DSCF2037.JPG

Seeing the tow bar - a week or two ago, walking across the footbridge from Earley station into Woodley during an engineering possession I was surprised when a road rail excavator appeared underneath, pushing one, and pulling another trolley using tow bars a bit like this. Each trolley was loaded with recently cut down tree trunks. Running wrong-line it passed through Earley station, projecting leafy branches sweeping the surface of the down platform. Further on in the walk, returning down Henley Wood Road where the track runs parallel to the road, the trolleys had been unloaded onto the side of the track and an articulated lorry with a hydraulic boom grab was lifting the trunks over the boundary fence and loading them up for disposal. Note to self - take a camera next time you go for a walk! What was surprising was that the wood was being removed at all since in many places it is left on the cutting sides.  Would make a nice model, especially the out of gauge load sweeping the platform!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On ‎11‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 21:04, Artless Bodger said:

Seeing the tow bar - a week or two ago, walking across the footbridge from Earley station into Woodley during an engineering possession I was surprised when a road rail excavator appeared underneath, pushing one, and pulling another trolley using tow bars a bit like this. Each trolley was loaded with recently cut down tree trunks. Running wrong-line it passed through Earley station, projecting leafy branches sweeping the surface of the down platform. Further on in the walk, returning down Henley Wood Road where the track runs parallel to the road, the trolleys had been unloaded onto the side of the track and an articulated lorry with a hydraulic boom grab was lifting the trunks over the boundary fence and loading them up for disposal. Note to self - take a camera next time you go for a walk! What was surprising was that the wood was being removed at all since in many places it is left on the cutting sides.  Would make a nice model, especially the out of gauge load sweeping the platform!

Not just engineering trains that sweep the platform... A couple of years back one of the touring railtour trains came down road to King's Lynn (Royal Scotsman?). In the formation was the Mk1 that had been cut to have a nice little open balcony at one end. I got a call from the station staff at Ely Downside to inform me that the potted palm on the balcony was out of gauge, as its branches had swept the platform as it went through.

It was a bit of an odd conversation with the driver, I'm not entirely sure he thought I was being serious, but when the train went by there was no evidence of any plants on the balcony...

Andy G

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, uax6 said:

Not just engineering trains that sweep the platform... A couple of years back one of the touring railtour trains came down road to King's Lynn (Royal Scotsman?). In the formation was the Mk1 that had been cut to have a nice little open balcony at one end. I got a call from the station staff at Ely Downside to inform me that the potted palm on the balcony was out of gauge, as its branches had swept the platform as it went through.

It was a bit of an odd conversation with the driver, I'm not entirely sure he thought I was being serious, but when the train went by there was no evidence of any plants on the balcony...

Andy G

Almost as daft as the call I had from a signalman one day seeking a ruling on an item in the Block Regulations - in terms of an animal on the line is a wallaby a 'large animal'?   I asked him if he knew how big the wallaby was and he didn't so I told him to play safe for the first train through the section - turned out the wallaby had by then left railway property.

• Like 4
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

I had to email the management team at work a couple of weeks ago to advise a shipment had been delayed after native Americans caused damage to the train carrying the container.....part of recent oil pipeline protests in Canada...

• Friendly/supportive 2

5 hours ago, Jonboy said:

I had to email the management team at work a couple of weeks ago to advise a shipment had been delayed after native Americans caused damage to the train carrying the container.....part of recent oil pipeline protests in Canada...

Fake news! Recent protests were against a natural gas pipeline. The protests against oil pipelines are entirely separate! :nono: :D

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Almost as daft as the call I had from a signalman one day seeking a ruling on an item in the Block Regulations - in terms of an animal on the line is a wallaby a 'large animal'?   I asked him if he knew how big the wallaby was and he didn't so I told him to play safe for the first train through the section - turned out the wallaby had by then left railway property.

Mike may recall the ostrich that escaped from Pensycynor (I may not have spelled that right) Bird Gardens, which backed on to the Neath & Brecon line just a mile or so outside Neath in 1971.  I was road learning over the Vale of Glamorgan line with Barry men on an Aberthaw-Blaenant MGR job at the time, and we were asked to keep a lookout for the escapee.  

This was excuse for reporting the sighting of oomeegoolie birds, tigers, herds of wildebeeste sweeping majestically across the A465, polar bears, anything we could think of!  We never saw the ostrich...

Place was a popular tourist attraction in SouthWales in those days, and the bright car window stickers ‘I’ve been to Pensycynor Bird Gardens’ were a common sight.  They lost an eagle as well at one time, seen flying over Tongwynlais north of Cardiff 40 miles away.  Place closed years ago.   

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 4
  • Funny 2