Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

Hornby have announced a Mark 1 brake in RTC livery for 2020.  Recreating a prototype train is gonna be expensive. 2 x Class 50 + brake +  loooong rake of ballast hoppers.  (OK the brake is a different diagram but that doesn't make such a good story)

80017-50024 & 50021 Southcote Jn

Strictly speaking, aggregate hoppers rather than ballast. That’ll be the famous trial to see if pairs of 50s were any good for the Mendip stone traffic, taken at one of my childhood spotting spots; Southcote Junction.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 03/03/2020 at 17:13, melmerby said:

Can't have done the road surface much good:jester:

Eh? the whole loco is outside, only cables go through the wall.

I remember pic of this in Canada the year I was there! The papers Had pics of a SD40 though, must dig it out sometime, cause I kept it!

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, RP82 said:

Skip to the 10:40 ish mark

For those of us less knowledgeable of the oddities in the contemporary scene*, what is special about 10:40+? Diesel and a few tank wagons but nothing that leaps out to me.

Edit - * just noticed I had misread the date/year as being March 2020, despite not having got to the 20th yet! I had thought the Barnetby signals had gone though. Senior moment.

Edited by john new
Added extra observation

18 minutes ago, john new said:

For those of us less knowledgeable of the oddities in the contemporary scene, what is special about 10:40+? Diesel and a few tank wagons but nothing that leaps out to me.

The tug still has its tail lights on its leading end. Haha contemporary scene the vid is 20 years old yet it feels like yesterday!

Edited by RP82
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, RP82 said:

The tug still has its tail lights on its leading end

Oops, they just looked like marker lights first time I watched, you have to look closely to see they are showing red.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, pH said:

We need a bufferstop ... yeah, that'll do!

IMG_4905.JPG.23041a73b60f633a39578cebeb44b731.JPG

End of a siding for track maintenance machines. Barnet, BC.

If that was a model the cry "unprototypical application of ballast" would go up, too much ballast, its too clean looking.  Looks like one of those layouts where they experimented with kitty litter and it didn't go well

JIm

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

13 hours ago, RP82 said:

The tug still has its tail lights on its leading end. Haha contemporary scene the vid is 20 years old yet it feels like yesterday!

Good heavens. It shows I'm not a signaller, or observant. I watched that video three or four times trying to find something and never noticed the lights. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

20 hours ago, RP82 said:

Looks like its the Welton tanks, obviously forgot to change over at Welton. Wrawby  must have missed it too.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm puzzled by what the track and signalling was originally.

The tall home signal that is off for the train looks as if it's been in place ages and the one growing out the track still seems to be complete and they are braced together.

The spacing between is obviously too little to have a track between them.

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, melmerby said:

I'm puzzled by what the track and signalling was originally.

The tall home signal that is off for the train looks as if it's been in place ages and the one growing out the track still seems to be complete and they are braced together.

The spacing between is obviously too little to have a track between them.

Rather than having a bracket structure with two signal arms, the signal in the (new) 4ft is for a diverging route out of site behind the camera? 

• Agree 2

The unconnected track running through the signal looks brand new, so it seems that the diverging route was being altered to start further back (perhaps to have the pointwork on a straight section) ? There is another uncommissioned colour light signal at the end of the unconnected track, which would become the exit from the branch.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, caradoc said:

The unconnected track running through the signal looks brand new, so it seems that the diverging route was being altered to start further back (perhaps to have the pointwork on a straight section) ? There is another uncommissioned colour light signal at the end of the unconnected track, which would become the exit from the branch.

There are some decommisioned signal posts in the distance, one of which suggests it may have been an advanced junction signal for the pair shown.

Anyone know where it is?

Edited by melmerby

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

There are some decommisioned signal posts in the distance, one of which suggests it may have been an advanced junction signal for the pair shown.

Anyone know where it is?

Caption says 31192 & 31241 Foxlow Junction. Possibly the Lackenby - Corby steel. Resignalling in progress, & singling the curve round to Hall Lane Jnc. 27/08/1981

• Informative/Useful 3

12 minutes ago, StuartMc said:

It was still there when I visited in 2014. We went for a walk in the area and had a picnic inside it.

I don't know about the current status.IMG_5955.JPG.2288f142c47e596713d49229ce38c51c.JPGIMG_5956.JPG.99584a050786bb9bcd5700815faa1f87.JPG

Hi Stuart,

If nothing else your photograph shews both the quality of the materials and workmanship of the carriage body. I guess it has all stood abandoned since the 1960's.

Gibbo.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

38 minutes ago, StuartMc said:

It was still there when I visited in 2014. We went for a walk in the area and had a picnic inside it.

I don't know about the current status.

Amazing it was still there in 2014. Big thanks for sharing that. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Orion said:

Caption says 31192 & 31241 Foxlow Junction. Possibly the Lackenby - Corby steel. Resignalling in progress, & singling the curve round to Hall Lane Jnc. 27/08/1981

Foxlow Junction, 1939, shows 2 signal posts, side-by-side:

https://maps.nls.uk/view/114587333#zoom=6&lat=6890&lon=9204&layers=BT

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne