Prototype for everything corner.

On 23/03/2020 at 14:58, w124bob said:

How about an all green type one subbing for an A3 on an Edinburgh to Glasgow and the first coach is an ex GWR Hawksworth brake 2nd(probably)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/holycorner/8207352563/in/faves-28630680@N06/

No need to flog all that WR rolling stock just becuase you change layout geography!

trying to figure out the location of the picture. I think it is at Nicolton Bridge (1mile east of Polmont) with the base fro what is now EPB518 in the UP cess 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, ajwffc said:

trying to figure out the location of the picture. I think it is at Nicolton Bridge (1mile east of Polmont) with the base fro what is now EPB518 in the UP cess 

It says where it is in the caption:wink_mini: - Roddinglaw, 4 miles west of Waverley

Entirely different type of bridge. Google shows Nicolton Rd as brick built and it's not a skew either.

Edited by melmerby

On 23/03/2020 at 07:58, w124bob said:

How about an all green type one subbing for an A3 on an Edinburgh to Glasgow ...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/holycorner/8207352563/in/faves-28630680@N06/

I have serious doubts about the details in the caption of that photograph. There were only 3 A3s in service in 1965, I don't think they would have been using them on Edinburgh/Glasgow services by then and I don't remember steam in Queen Street once the last of the V3 bankers went, sometime about the end of 1962/beginning of 1963.

However, if there were A3s running into Queen Street in 1965, and I missed them, then I am retroactively raging!

Edited by pH
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, pH said:

I have serious doubts about the details in the caption of that photograph. There were only 3 A3s in service in 1965, I don't think they would have been using them on Edinburgh/Glasgow services by then and I don't remember steam in Queen Street once the last of the V3 bankers went, sometime about the end of 1962/beginning of 1963.

However, if there were A3s running into Queen Street in 1965, and I missed them, then I am retroactively raging!

Hi pH,

A3's were used on the Waverly route latterly and used to turn up at Carlisle Canal Street, they could also occasionally be found on Carlisle to Leeds trains also.

Gibbo.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi pH,

A3's were used on the Waverly route latterly and used to turn up at Carlisle Canal Street, they could also occasionally be found on Carlisle to Leeds trains also.

Gibbo.

I have seen pictures of A3s on the Waverley in 1965, on freight and as diesel substitutions - they may have been scheduled on passenger services too, I can't say. However, by then Carlisle Canal was closed, and engines off the Waverley were being serviced at Kingmoor. I would be really surprised to see evidence of A3s between Carlisle and Leeds in 1965. As far as I know, all scheduled Leeds-Glasgow services were dieselised from the start of the 1962 winter timetable.

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

I think that should be on the 'When the prototype looks like an improbable train set" threat !

( Actually, I think they've just painted a black square on the backscene ! )

It already is:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/55259-when-the-real-thing-looks-like-a-model/page/20/&tab=comments#comment-2317952

Edited by pH
To correct link

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Talltim said:

(Not UK I know, but...)

Tunnel mouth straight into a diamond? ✓

No support for the tunnel roof?  ✓

43210360644_23cf8f6441_b.jpg

Diamonds outside the bore by Mike Danneman, on Flickr

Do you always feel guilty when you "black out" the hole in the back scene, (in Photo Shop), to the fiddle yard - don't be.

There's literally a prototype for everything!!

Kev.

• Like 3

Surreal situation, a short distance behind the photographer the line crosses the Mississippi. Not far off shore  the bridge ihas an opening swing section for river traffic to add to the excitement.  Not a line for junior's high speed Thomas the tank engine to be let loose on.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 minutes ago, steve W said:

Surreal situation, a short distance behind the photographer the line crosses the Mississippi. Not far off shore  the bridge ihas an opening swing section for river traffic to add to the excitement.  Not a line for junior's high speed Thomas the tank engine to be let loose on.

Add some real water and junior will absolutely love it.   Lifting bridges are even more fun.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Situation replicated at Barry Pier, but the other way around in that the double track running line emerged from a brick faced tunnel entrance to enter Barry Pier station (used for connecting traffic with the paddle steamers, last used 1967 IIRC but happy to be corrected; it had been singled past Barry Island by then), to cross on the level the Barry Docks spur to the Western Breakwater.  There were plain rock tunnel entrances on either side of the running line for tunnels carrying this spur.  It was long disused by the time I remember it, but still in situ.  The Barry had two diminutive and rather attractive 0-6-0s to work this line, which had a travelling crane on the breakwater to load coasters.  The track on the breakwater may still be there; it was used by a hand propelled rail mounted hut owned by the Barry Yacht Club which was pushed out to the end of the breakwater to use as a signalling point for regattas.

I don't understand yacht racing.  The boat that gets over the line first doesn't win, because everybody else complains that it has broken the rules, in fact everybody seems to have broken the rules according to everyone else.  The purpose seems not to be to determine the fastest, but to give an excuse for complaining.  Glad I don't do it; it'd do my 'ed in!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Situation replicated at Barry Pier, but the other way around in that the double track running line emerged from a brick faced tunnel entrance to enter Barry Pier station (used for connecting traffic with the paddle steamers, last used 1967 IIRC but happy to be corrected; it had been singled past Barry Island by then), to cross on the level the Barry Docks spur to the Western Breakwater.  There were plain rock tunnel entrances on either side of the running line for tunnels carrying this spur.  It was long disused by the time I remember it, but still in situ.  The Barry had two diminutive and rather attractive 0-6-0s to work this line, which had a travelling crane on the breakwater to load coasters.  The track on the breakwater may still be there; it was used by a hand propelled rail mounted hut owned by the Barry Yacht Club which was pushed out to the end of the breakwater to use as a signalling point for regattas.

I don't understand yacht racing.  The boat that gets over the line first doesn't win, because everybody else complains that it has broken the rules, in fact everybody seems to have broken the rules according to everyone else.  The purpose seems not to be to determine the fastest, but to give an excuse for complaining.  Glad I don't do it; it'd do my 'ed in!

The main (Wenvoe) tunnel at Barry is now a shooting range.

3 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

In the earlier days of transition there were many case of DMU's having one car in blue and another in green etc.  However, in more recent times I don't ever recall a 2-car Class 150 having different liveries.

8341204317_4c259126c4_z.jpg150140 by 40011 MAURETANIA, on Flickr

Or even more recently:

150210 Winwick

Flickr pic, but I’ve got one of this unit somewhere in the archives but from before I started adding notes to photos, so I’ve got little chance of finding it...

Jack.

• Like 15

...sorry to double-post, but what about this lash up of 5x 150s too!

150113, 150226, 150110, 150210 and 150214 Crewe 14/10/11

The modern railway always throws up surprises. I didn’t expect to see those two fifties this morning in GBRf livery but it was a pleasant surprise!

Jack.

• Like 14

36 minutes ago, Chris M said:

Wrong livery for you? Just write a different name on the side.

IMG_2112.JPG

Worked this as a guard the first day we had it in service at FGW. Toilet door was taped up with West Midlands tape and the ashtrays were full of cigarette butts, five years after the smoking ban was put in place.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 25/03/2020 at 15:43, Talltim said:

(Not UK I know, but...)

Tunnel mouth straight into a diamond? ✓

No support for the tunnel roof?  ✓

43210360644_23cf8f6441_b.jpg

Diamonds outside the bore by Mike Danneman, on Flickr

The stonework above the second loco led to the original bridge. It was replaced with  the present one in 1890.

There is a similar arrangement on the west side of the Mississippi in Hannibal MO about 240 miles downstream.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

21 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

Currently on the way south out of Tyne Yard two East Midlands HSTpower cars top’n’tailed by a pair of GBRf 50’s.

Morning Hoover Reprise, with added HST!

Heading to Long Marston this morning. Used my daily exercise well and cycled there, saw and spoke to no-one else...

Jack.

• Like 16