Prototype for everything corner.

On 06/04/2020 at 16:56, melmerby said:

They were a step up from the typical kids pedal car of the day, even had some working accessories such as lights & horn:

http://www.austinworks.com/pedalcar.html

Would you like to buy one?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUSTIN-J40-PEDAL-CAR-TOTALLY-ORIGINAL-J-40-/153854846127?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

I had (a well used) one in green, received for Christmas 1970. I thought it was great, but became less enthusiastic when I discovered that its staggering weight was well beyond the ability of my chubby little legs to propel. It got left behind in a house move a few years later, which was, in hindsight, a bit of a shame. If anyone happens to have found one in a garden in Wallingford, it's mine and I wouldn't mind it back, thanks. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, BR(S) said:

Bachmann produce two different styles of 101 but use the same running number.  Never mind (though have the original numbers been poorly painted over or has the picture been edited?!):

49278374001_b98610ae4a_c.jpgHaymarket depot by Jonathan Hazan, on Flickr

How come Scotland had refurbished ones with four marker lights?  I wonder if the middle two were still wired up 

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, russ p said:

How come Scotland had refurbished ones with four marker lights?  I wonder if the middle two were still wired up 

If you look at allocations and formations 101361 had one of each for some of the time, so that picture could be the two ends of the same unit.

(especially as th RH car doesn't look like it's coupled to what is behind it.)

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, melmerby said:

If you look at allocations and formations 101361 had one of each for some of the time, so that picture could be the two ends of the same unit.

(especially as th RH car doesn't look like it's coupled to what is behind it.)

The Railcar.co.uk gives the set formation in Summer 1986 as follows:101361 - 53192 59112 53234.  The unit would appear to have been disbanded in August that year and in that month 53234 is shown as "based at Haymarket - Operating vehicle not on official list" with 53192 being show as part of unit 303.  It would look like the photo was taken on June 29, 1986 just as the units were being reformed and 53192 has not yet had it's new set number applied.  53192 and 53234 were transferred to Ayr in October 1987 were 53192 was almost immediately withdrawn.  53234 was then transferred to Heaton 14/05/88.

Jim

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

Gone a bit mad with the ballast - there's a prototype for that

Newhaven Port  new sidings 15 4 2020 c 4net.jpg

Mind you the line that used to run on more or less the same route - the East Beach Tramway - is in a somewhat worse condition now as can be seen in these photos. If you followed the line in the lower right photo you would meet up with new sidings. The upper left view is towards Bishopstone and Seaford. The rails stop just before the sailing club - the white building with two long dark windows, to the right of the red life-buoy case. It's purpose was to transport shingle from the beach for construction work around the port. I don't think that the shingle from there was used as ballast.

Newhaven_East_Quay_Branch_2013.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
More info.
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

Found this rather sad photo on Flickr while looking for something else, it is the short lived signalbox at Blackpool South Station, which found itself rather removed from the track that it controlled following the removal of the carraige sidings in 1970, just proves that the signal box does not need to be positioned right beside the track or station.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/masonphenix19/15799513397

Jim

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Interesting video of how to move a completely assembled switch (turnout) to site in the US

It arrived a few days back in bits on flat trucks and has been assembledclose to where it is to be used (further west out of camera range

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, melmerby said:

Interesting video of how to move a completely assembled switch (turnout) to site in the US

It arrived a few days back in bits on flat trucks and has been assembledclose to where it is to be used (further west out of camera range

Presumably they couldn't afford to buy or hire the proper gantries to do the job?

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Presumably they couldn't afford to buy or hire the proper gantries to do the job?

If you at any US railroad/railway maintenance you will find an abundance of those Caterpiller machines and little in the way of custom kit.

This is the same:

And this:

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

That 16T mineral needs weathering.

Two "prototypes for anything" for the price of one.

As they were building about 1000 per week at the time it's probably not difficult to find one like that in use. I remember seeing a picture of a train of about 50 leaving a wagon works all fresh painted.

On the other hand I wouldn't trust that 7-Plank to hold together with half a dozen loaded ones behind it on the bank up to Camp Hill.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

22 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

That 16T mineral needs weathering.

Hi Joseph,

You have highlighted very well the dichotomy between the real railway and models of real railways.

I have always found it quite something that a great amount of effort goes into modelling the condition of vehicles, especially such as 16ton mineral wagons, to reproduce a condition that complete neglect ultimately led to.

Gibbo.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

If you want complex trackwork, try this lot

Snow Hill station.

A 4 way point on the up platform line (left)

A 3way point on both the down platform (middle) and LH bay platform.

The three way point on the LH bay has one rail of the crossing track from the RH bay cut through both frogs.

From Warwickshire Railways:

gwrbsh1747.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Space a bit short for the crossover and siding connection. Use a 3-way, even in the main line like this one at Camp Hill

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/mrch861.htm

A very handy configuration! Likely to rerail any spontaneous derailments approaching right line....

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

On 11/04/2020 at 20:35, nightstar.train said:

Presumably the tube is going to Rosyth for some work? An awful long way from London!

Quick question about this, does anybody know what the maximum speed would be for these moves? 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, sb67 said:

Quick question about this, does anybody know what the maximum speed would be for these moves? 

I seem to recall that these trains used to run as a class 8 so probably 30-35mph. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, melmerby said:

If you want complex trackwork, try this lot

Snow Hill station.

A 4 way point on the up platform line (left)

A 3way point on both the down platform (middle) and LH bay platform.

The three way point on the LH bay has one rail of the crossing track from the RH bay cut through both frogs.

From Warwickshire Railways:

gwrbsh1747.jpg

Designed by a draughtsman on a Friday afternoon after a pub lunch!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, rab said:

Designed by a draughtsman on a Friday afternoon after a pub lunch!

A bit of a 'mare to get the connections/bonding right for the track circuits as well - one reason for simplifying the point work! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, iands said:

A bit of a 'mare to get the connections/bonding right for the track circuits as well - one reason for simplifying the point work! 

I am going to dig out the track plans (Historical Survey....) but as I recall there was a fair amount of space at that end of the station and it could have been laid out more simply with no loss of functionality.

• Like 1