Prototype for everything corner.

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

Pity this poor Compound:

Duu_0RQXgAUARVv.jpg

Hi Kieth,

Here is one shewing the head board:

It is the same photograph as the one in Brian Haresnape's book  Fowler Locomotives. I have often had the thought of buying a compound and subjecting it to a repaint, so far I have resisted the temptation but here it is back in the daft* ideas section of my mind.

* When I say daft I mean even more daft than the usual nonsense that fills my imagination.

Gibbo.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 27/04/2020 at 13:17, Metr0Land said:

Anyone yearning for a Black 5 that isn't black?   This lockdown's doing strange things to the mind.

6872089709_b9dc0f538b_c.jpg016 44932 dep Carnforth by Chris, on Flickr

14 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

That green Black 5 might not have been to everyone's taste so how about a red one?

71 021 170471 Carnforth 5407

Aren't those just the little-known 2-cylinder versions of the Jubilee class ;)

• Funny 2

Have you a number of Bachmann coal sector 37s and a spare 56, and would like to run them all in one go rather than have to devise separate realistic workings for them all? 

Here is one excuse you could use, although I'm not sure where it is located. My best guess is just south of Bridgwater. 

1435636857_379053789837xxx56xxx.jpg.95391e50a445e3207e4950d4d755ce14.jpg 

• Like 11

3 hours ago, russ p said:

Back in the late 80s and early 90s there were often convoys of engines between thornaby and tinsley due to sectorisation .

I remember one Sunday having five 37s , being young and irresponsible back then I put all of them in multiple,  throttle response was awful but worked fine.

I got stopped under the roof on platform five at York , got on the phone signalman said I'd be about 10 minutes so got a brunch muffin and waited.  Got two yellows opened the power handle but with straight air on on lead loco noise was absolutely awesome they flew out of the station when I released the brake. 

Surprised I didn't get into bother as you could see people with their hands over their ears !, mind the station manager at the time was a major crank

Excellent. I wish I had been there. 

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Going back to the green black five, I remember going on a rail tour in the 70s which was to be Scotsman from Leeds to Carnforth and then to Ravenglass, the return was to be behind Green Arrow. As it happened when we were waiting at Carnforth for the return our train was delayed and we were told that there was something wrong with Green Arrow. After a longish wait a green black five was attached to our train, by this time it was starting to get dark and what followed was unforgettable. The crew gave it everything and didn’t ease up over the summit, plenty of sparks flying. Arriving  in Leeds so many passengers left the train an rushed down to the loco to thank the crew.

By far the best ride I have had behind steam!

Thanks for the reminder.

Brian

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, russ p said:

I remember one Sunday having five 37s , being young and irresponsible back then I put all of them in multiple,  throttle response was awful but worked fine.

Interesting. I always understood the maximum number of 37s you could multiple-up was three.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Orion said:

1927373903_SantiagoChileTrolleybusesdelaPullman-StandardWorcesterMA.jpg.3599a37c88c6b541dbdd129d60cd431b.jpg

Sorry, its a foreign one! Brand new Standard Pullman trolleybus bodies for Chile on temporary bogies

So that is the original inspiration for the class 141, (before the design team ditched the idea of having bogies and replaced with single axles as a cost saving exercise)!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, luckymucklebackit said:

So that is the original inspiration for the class 141, (before the design team ditched the idea of having bogies and replaced with single axles as a cost saving exercise)!

We should consider ourselves lucky they weren't based on this one ;)

Dupl-Sud-Pacifico-De-Mexico-Pickwick-Night-Coach-Train-Car-2-1080x634.jpg.5449c0a492eb1303e8d00d79fec20d87.jpg

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

Noting the railcar pictures above I mention that a section on early railcars will be in the latest SLS From the Archives volume.  Expecting to pick up first batch copies from the printer in a couple of days time. As slightly off topic here more about the book will be in another more relevant thread when sales go live.

203533835_ICTFrontcover300dpireduced.jpg.800c666fb3004fa100610352d71f120b.jpg

Edited by john new
Photo(s) found and/or replaced post crash.
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

Interesting. I always understood the maximum number of 37s you could multiple-up was three.

Technically yes, but the limiting factor is the regulating air . Four 20s were reasonably common 

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Jack374 said:

The 'Badger' made it to Nottinghamshire today as it was towed to the Toton Paint Facility by 60046...quite an odd looking combo!

Badger's Brush Up

Jack.

Showing my ignorance again, what is the badger please.

Can someone full me in on the background.

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, rab said:

Showing my ignorance again, what is the badger please.

Can someone full me in on the background.

Nickname for the one-off OH electric* shown in the shot. IIRC it was because for a while it ran in black livery and with the yellow warning panel on the centre it resembled a badger's snout. I was lucky enough to both see and be hauled by it when still running on the ECML.

(*Class 89?)

• Thanks 1