Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, john new said:

Nickname for the one-off OH electric* shown in the shot. IIRC it was because for a while it ran in black livery and with the yellow warning panel on the centre it resembled a badger's snout. I was lucky enough to both see and be hauled by it when still running on the ECML.

(*Class 89?)

I remember seeing it on the Northern reaches of the WCML when in Inter City colours.

Wasn't it also later called "Avocet"

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, melmerby said:

I remember seeing it on the Northern reaches of the WCML when in Inter City colours.

Wasn't it also later called "Avocet"

I think so.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, rab said:

Showing my ignorance again, what is the badger please.

Can someone full me in on the background.

absolutely fascinating loco, funnily enough I found a couple of pics of it taken from crewe heritage centre viewing platform while on test in 1988? I’ll scan them tomorrow but in the meantime here are a couple I’ve already scanned 

8991bounds.jpg

crewestation5.jpg

crewestation6.jpg

one loco that is sadly missing in RTR form

• Like 14

From the WNXX forum today:

"...all sorts of suggestions have been circulating regarding what the repaint will be into, its likely to be one of the liveries already carried by 89001. The mechanical part of getting 89001 up and running again is complete but its return to the mainline is someway off yet. The systems needed for mainline operation are to be fitted after the repaint. An operator for using 89001 on th mainline is yet to be identified..."

I imagine it was already long stored by the time I was born! Needless to say yesterday was the first time I’d seen it 'properly' apart from stored at Barrow Hill.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Guest Half-full
On 30/04/2020 at 19:57, john new said:

Nickname for the one-off OH electric* shown in the shot. IIRC it was because for a while it ran in black livery and with the yellow warning panel on the centre it resembled a badger's snout. I was lucky enough to both see and be hauled by it when still running on the ECML.

(*Class 89?)

The 89 wasn't painted black, but it ran in a couple of Intercity variations, then was repainted into GNER blue.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Half-full said:

The 89 wasn't painted black, but it ran in a couple of Intercity variations, then was repainted into GNER blue.

Bad memory, that GNER livery was so dark I was remembering it as black with red stripe on the coaches.

On 01/05/2020 at 10:48, Jack374 said:

From the WNXX forum today:

"...all sorts of suggestions have been circulating regarding what the repaint will be into, its likely to be one of the liveries already carried by 89001. The mechanical part of getting 89001 up and running again is complete but its return to the mainline is someway off yet. The systems needed for mainline operation are to be fitted after the repaint. An operator for using 89001 on th mainline is yet to be identified..."

I imagine it was already long stored by the time I was born! Needless to say yesterday was the first time I’d seen it 'properly' apart from stored at Barrow Hill.

So has this now been withdrawn twice and now coming back again, must be some kind of record that! I wonder whos funding this? Cant be cheap to rebuild for mainline running again.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 02/05/2020 at 08:04, john new said:

Bad memory, that GNER livery was so dark I was remembering it as black with red stripe on the coaches.

Retford, 5th Dec 1997. Yes. very dark blue!

Dec 97 2 (2).JPG

Dec 97 1 (2).JPG

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, BR(S) said:

Was it ever a lighter blue or is this just down to lighting, picture age etc?

9566812856_ba31603f49_o.jpgClass 89 by Simon Judd, on Flickr

Probably somewhere between my photos on a grey December afternoon and this one, which seems a bit too bright, from memory.

• Agree 2

On 03/05/2020 at 13:41, Tim Hall said:

Probably somewhere between my photos on a grey December afternoon and this one, which seems a bit too bright, from memory.

No, it was only the one shade. Indeed, it didn't survive in traffic long enough with GNER to need a repaint. The GNER blue appeared very dark, especially on dull days.

On 02/05/2020 at 23:24, jessy1692 said:

So has this now been withdrawn twice and now coming back again, must be some kind of record that!

8Fs 48774 and 48775 can equal that and, if you count preservation as 'coming back', 48773 beats it.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

The joke at Bounds Green was that if 89001 was called Avocet, the 91’s should be called ‘Avareset’ such was the frequency of such a requirement. 
When I worked for Eversholt I had a conversation with Brush about building a small number of additional 89’s. The ECML needed more train sets so the possibility of acquiring and fitting out the spare Mk4 bodyshells was investigated. History shows us it never happened. 

• Informative/Useful 6

5 hours ago, david.hill64 said:

The joke at Bounds Green was that if 89001 was called Avocet, the 91’s should be called ‘Avareset’ such was the frequency of such a requirement. 
When I worked for Eversholt I had a conversation with Brush about building a small number of additional 89’s. The ECML needed more train sets so the possibility of acquiring and fitting out the spare Mk4 bodyshells was investigated. History shows us it never happened. 

Didn't know there were any spare Mk4 bodyshells - do you mean the part-built Met Cam Nightstar stock?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Owd Bob said:

Reminds me a bit of this red unit at Warrington in the late '90's, t'was a bit faded though.

12-21-2018_210dmu (2).jpg

Used this as a route learner at thornaby couple of times,  it had big tv monitors and end cameras. 

It also had a three phase generator which supplied power for this and aircon in the saloon in the former DTC vehicle.  It went rather well too as it had two Leyland TL11s but sounded odd getting turbo scream from a DMU before changing gear

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2