Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

At first glance you might not realise exactly what's going on here...

Great Western Freight Workings in Mid Wales By Ted Davies

Had the standard prairie failed, or being taken for scrap?  Looks like the pannier is pushing it,

• Like 2

1 minute ago, john new said:

Had the standard prairie failed, or being taken for scrap?  Looks like the pannier is pushing it,

Yes, according to the caption it says that the Standard 2-6-2T has failed and the direction of smoke and the direction that the crew is looking at suggests that it is actually being pushed.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

It was far from unusual to work light engines in that way with a brake between two locos. Jim Carter in the caption to one of his photos specifically mentions it, commenting that care had to be taken to avoid pulling the van apart! I don't remember doing it with diesels in my time, but I have other photos in the SMF Archive showing it being done.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Isn't there a thread about how steam locos never really topped and tailed trains? :P

Unusual Formation

That reminds me of the tug of war events

we used to have at traction engine rallies

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 08/05/2020 at 12:50, Owd Bob said:

Just for a laugh, my 12 year old Philips lekky razor, it could almost be a cl.802 & TPE livery prototype.:)  

DSC09206.JPG

It'll shave minutes off your point to point timings...

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Where is this?

Ah, just read the screed on Flickr, Oswestry!

Edited by The Johnster

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, rab said:

That reminds me of the tug of war events

we used to have at traction engine rallies

Remind's me of GJC's comment to a GW shareholder at an AGM who'd asked why his locomotives cost twice as much as Mr Bowen-Cooke's at Crewe.  

'Because one of my ******rs will pull two of his ******rs backwards'!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Remind's me of GJC's comment to a GW shareholder at an AGM who'd asked why his locomotives cost twice as much as Mr Bowen-Cooke's at Crewe.  

'Because one of my ******rs will pull two of his ******rs backwards'!

Which reminds me of William Shakespeare's comment, "You can fool some of the people all of the time . . ."

• RMweb Gold

That’s fightin talk, that is!

‘Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war’. 

I thought the ‘some of the people’ quote was Winston Churchill; definitely sounds better in his bulldog growl than Stratford Bill’s Brummie whine...

’Croi ‘avuck, an’ lit sleep the digs of wowah’; nah, don’t cut it, mate. 

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 2
  • Funny 2

17 hours ago, LMS2968 said:

........... care had to be taken to avoid pulling the van apart! I don't remember doing it with diesels in my time, but I have other photos in the SMF Archive showing it being done.

C'mon then - if you've got pictures of brake vans being pulled apart, I'm sure we'd all love to see them !

36 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

C'mon then - if you've got pictures of brake vans being pulled apart, I'm sure we'd all love to see them !

I didn't say it, it was Jim Carter, sadly no longer with us.

As always happens in these circumstances, I'm struggling to find the book containing the photo and caption. I'm pretty certain it was taken at Tyldesley and one of the engines was a 5X.

I visited Jim on several occasions and he was wonderful company with a store of anecdotes, which were not prone to exaggeration. Apart from his talent for photography he had a second: he had a very effective way of putting down enthusiasts who thought they knew better than professional railwaymen, such as himself.

14 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I thought the ‘some of the people’ quote was Winston Churchill; definitely sounds better in his bulldog growl than Stratford Bill’s Brummie whine...

You have not experienced Shakespeare until you have read him in the original Klingon:D

• Funny 6

21 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Kyle Of Lochalsh 1991

Network Scottish East?

Kyle of Lochalsh 37416 Jan 91

86401, painted NSE livery ostensibly for working to Cambridge, kept turning up in Glasgow.

Cheers

David

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

31 minutes ago, LMS2968 said:

I didn't say it, it was Jim Carter, sadly no longer with us.

As always happens in these circumstances, I'm struggling to find the book containing the photo and caption. I'm pretty certain it was taken at Tyldesley and one of the engines was a 5X.

I visited Jim on several occasions and he was wonderful company with a store of anecdotes, which were not prone to exaggeration. Apart from his talent for photography he had a second: he had a very effective way of putting down enthusiasts who thought they knew better than professional railwaymen, such as himself.

Was it in a 'Lancashire Triangle' Pt.1 by Dennis Sweeney?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

You have not experienced Shakespeare until you have read him in the original Klingon:D

Much fun can be had from reciting some of the speeches in a Brummie accent, particularly the Hamlet one; 'slings an' arrers uv owtrAAAAjus forchoon'.  This is,  nonetheless, how they must have sounded when they were first spoken aloud by Bill himself!  'A norse, a norse, moi kingdum ferran orse'!

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Much fun can be had from reciting some of the speeches in a Brummie accent, particularly the Hamlet one; 'slings an' arrers uv owtrAAAAjus forchoon'.  This is,  nonetheless, how they must have sounded when they were first spoken aloud by Bill himself!  'A norse, a norse, moi kingdum ferran orse'!

If he had spoken Brummie, he would have failed. The audience at The Globe would not have understood him.

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Somebody has been watching too much Upstart Crow.

• Funny 2