Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

If he had spoken Brummie, he would have failed. The audience at The Globe would not have understood him.

I thought they went there for a good p*ss up and a pull, not sure about listening to Shakespeare:jester:

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Guilty as charged, m'lud.

Just to remind you, here's the theme tune (Jameko/Jamaica):

It's a pub song, also known as Jolly Broom Man (Brewman)

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Jolly little thing, isn't it.  Bout 50 years too late for Stratford Bill, though; not only railway modellers who have to check periods!

Shorter than that. Playford published his first book in 1651. My experience of Playford dancers is that they are a bit up themselves. No room for error, which is part of the fun!

Edited by 62613
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, 62613 said:

Shorter than that. Playford published his first book in 1651. My experience of Playford dancers is that they are a bit up themselves. No room for error, which is part of the fun!

:offtopic:Playford's Dancing Master is only a collection of traditional tunes, some which existed well before edition 1.

Jolly Broome Man/Jameko et al was published as early as 1633 as a ballad and set to an earlier tune "The Slow Men of London", Stratford Bill may well have heard the tune in the boozer.

The Dancing Master is an interesting collection of English folk tunes (I've a copy of Jeremy Barlow's volume) Unfortunately I'm not very musical so my keyboard renditions of a few were awful.

Stratford didn't have a very good train service in those days:no:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Owd Bob said:

Was it in a 'Lancashire Triangle' Pt.1 by Dennis Sweeney?

And there it was, on Page 142! The entire caption reds: "Plate 177. A trio of Stanier locomotives at Ellenbrook on 21st October 1963. On the right is 8F No. 48770, already mentioned on Plate 149 at Tyldesley, waiting for the road in Ellenbrook Sidings with a coal train for Patricroft North Yard. Driver Jim Carter had gained an advantageous position in Ellenbrook Signal Box for the shot. Drawing slowly up towards the signal box are Class 5 No. 45413 and Jubilee Class No. 45657 "Tyrwhitt" also en-route to Patricroft having worked local trip freights in the area. Note the brake van sandwiched between the locomotives, an unusual and pos­sibly illegal working as the power of the locomotives could literally pull the van apart if they were not working in unison."

It might not be realised that rough handling could easily cause a train to break in two, or more, sections. If this happened, it might be no more than a broken coupling, but even this played havoc with the operating with the need to rejoin the two parts, which took time and, in those days, a wrong line order which would go in the signal box train register. If you were less lucky, you could pull the drawhook clean out of the headstock, which made recoupling impossible. But you could go for the biggie if it were an old  wagon whose condition wasn't too good and pull the headstock away from the solebars. Unusual but far from impossible. It's up to you if you call this 'pulling the van apart.'

And speaking of Jim, some time in the 1980s I was a member of the Liverpool Railway Photogrophers Group, or some such name, and persuaded Jim to come along one evening. Even he admitted that he didn't know how I managed this as it wasn't his thing at all; he didn't like being the centre of attention. Personally, I reckon the promise of free beer tipped the balance!

Anyway, the evening started with a cine show of local railways, and one of these featured a train ex-Liverpool Exchange arriving at Southport. Chapel Street station approaches are a triangle and that from Liverpool is a tight left hand curve. The train approached slowly, then part way around the curve put steam on to get into the station. One of the group announced, "I reckon he misjudged that and came in too slow, that's why had to open up again." Jim stared at him for several seconds, enough to make him uncomfortable, then said, "You've never actually driven a train, have you?"

You had to approach slowly to avoid sitting your train all across the junction, but once on the curve the curvature rapidly scrubbed the speed off so there was no option but to open up again. The professional railwayman knew this, the amateur one did not.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, 62613 said:

When the wife and I were into folk dancing we had a go at Playford on quite a few occasions mostly we had fun a session at Sidmouth festival was one of the best.People who were really into it were very uptight and indeed did not like errors ! 

• Agree 1

On 10/05/2020 at 19:09, The Johnster said:

Remind's me of GJC's comment to a GW shareholder at an AGM who'd asked why his locomotives cost twice as much as Mr Bowen-Cooke's at Crewe.  

'Because one of my ******rs will pull two of his ******rs backwards'!

If only someone had the wit to ask him where that appeared in working timetable.

26 minutes ago, LMS2968 said:

Anyway, the evening started with a cine show of local railways, and one of these featured a train ex-Liverpool Exchange arriving at Southport. Chapel Street station approaches are a triangle and that from Liverpool is a tight left hand curve. The train approached slowly, then part way around the curve put steam on to get into the station. One of the group announced, "I reckon he misjudged that and came in too slow, that's why had to open up again." Jim stared at him for several seconds, enough to make him uncomfortable, then said, "You've never actually driven a train, have you?"

You had to approach slowly to avoid sitting your train all across the junction, but once on the curve the curvature rapidly scrubbed the speed off so there was no option but to open up again. The professional railwayman knew this, the amateur one did not.

Hi LMS,

I have a feeling that the curve you speak of is fitted with a check rail, the curve between Meols Cop and Saint Luke's certainly has a check rail and appears of similar radius.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=16&lat=53.64589&lon=-3.00145&layers=168&right=BingHyb

Gibbo.

1 minute ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi LMS,

I have a feeling that the curve you speak of is fitted with a check rail, the curve between Meols Cop and Saint Luke's certainly has a check rail and appears of similar radius.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=16&lat=53.64589&lon=-3.00145&layers=168&right=BingHyb

Gibbo.

I'm absolutely certain you're right, Mate, which of course raises the rolling resistance even more./

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

I'm still struggling to believe that this actually happened, but still....

Dorchester 1967

670709-C914-35030-&-diesel-last-steam-arrives-Dorchester

Not unusual on the Western in Cornwall in the early 60s

Originally they would put a steam pilot (Grange/Hall) in front of a Warship (or a pair of Baby Warships) but this was soon stopped due yo loose coal breaking the diesel cab windows.

After that the kettle had to go inside.

Another steam/diesel combo:

7071003033_568aafe78f_b.jpg

• Like 12
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, daveyb said:

Train set curves and a large loco? Here's the prototype situation... (plus a few nearly 90 degree crossings and a mix of modern and steam traction)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAlK61l6yQI

I didn't know it could do that!

I mean, I know it's articulated but...

Kev.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, melmerby said:

Not unusual on the Western in Cornwall in the early 60s

Originally they would put a steam pilot (Grange/Hall) in front of a Warship (or a pair of Baby Warships) but this was soon stopped due yo loose coal breaking the diesel cab windows.

After that the kettle had to go inside.

Another steam/diesel combo:

7071003033_568aafe78f_b.jpg

It's not the idea of a diesel pilot that surprised me, it's the fact that it was in rail blue.

• Agree 1