Prototype for everything corner.

3 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Damn, that cat has knocked the top off again.

Heysham Moss Sidings

Not in the context that's normally used, but this surely gives a whole new meaning to "open access"!

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

I don't think anyone's got round to forging a new crank axle in preservation ...... though one or two have been re-purposed from austerity saddle tanks for use in replicas, I believe. The time will come, though ..........

Boston Lodge?  Not standard gauge admittedly.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Heysham Moss Sidings

Are you sure it was the cat or are you just trying to frame it?

• Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, blackpete said:

Wondering what to do with all your spare road signs? 

Kilmarnock

Outside a driving test centre? Or did local authorities set up sample signs when these new design of signs were introduced.

Edited by brushman47544
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Boston Lodge?  Not standard gauge admittedly.

A good point - and there must be other narrow-gauge / miniature replicas / rebuilds ........ though off the top of my head, I can't think what on the Ffesty hasn't got outside cylinders ?

One minor irony about the four standard gauge loco mentioned ( to date ) is that the G5 is by far the simplest to build - EXCEPT that it's the only one with a two-throw crank !

7 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Heysham Moss Sidings

"Collect all 250 issues to build your own perfect replica of this beautiful piece of railway heritage. Issue one only 99p, rrp £8.99 plus yearly Network Rail subsidy..."

• Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
On 16/05/2020 at 22:28, blackpete said:

Kilmarnock

This is Cardiff's 'Magic Roundabout', in Splott, which IIRC was put up in 1990.  It is a well known local landmark and notorious as a location at which one can pick up ladies of the night, or even the afternoon for that matter, or so I'm told...

6069389200_dd4b83c538_b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, The Johnster said:

This is Cardiff's 'Magic Roundabout', in Splott, which IIRC was put up in 1990.  It is a well known local landmark and notorious as a location at which one can pick up ladies of the night, or even the afternoon for that matter, or so I'm told...

Where is Splott?  Asking for a friend. :)

• Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
On 16/05/2020 at 21:28, blackpete said:

Kilmarnock

The German language is very flexible and therefore it is easy to make up new words by sticking two or more words together. This picture is a good example of a Schildwald (sign forest). 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, The Johnster said:

That's not a magic roundabout - all the traffic goes round it in a clockwise direction according to Google Maps.   This is a proper magic roundabout (and it's called The Magic Roundabout) and you can go round it in either direction although it looks like some traffic islands have been added to it which must spoil the fun a bit-

(Railway link? - it's in Swindon)

1374818514_magicroundabout.jpg.c156f67b9f50d074f5844121a212679e.jpg 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

That's not a magic roundabout - all the traffic goes round it in a clockwise direction according to Google Maps.   This is a proper magic roundabout (and it's called The Magic Roundabout) and you can go round it in either direction although it looks like some traffic islands have been added to it which must spoil the fun a bit-

Been through this a few times - the first time in a blizzard.  Trick is not to stop, just keep moving.

Cheers

Darius

• Agree 1

59 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Only been on it once and then it was in on the A4312 and out on the B4289.

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Where is Splott?  Asking for a friend. :)

Splott is an area and council ward in Cardiff, broadly the area south and east of the SWML and west of the branch to Tidal Sidings (railways, some of them defunct and built over for many years, form a lot of Cardiff's boundaries as they preceded the development of all but the central area), it's western boundary being the dock complex.  The name is derived from the farm that occupied the area before it was developed for housing in the 1870s, Splottlands, itself a derivation of the medieval Welsh name, Ysblott (The Splott).  Local myth alludes to the name being derived from the land's ownership by the See of Llandaff, making it 'god's plot', but there is church owned land all over the place that does not attract this sort of thing.

To quote the famous rhyme:-

I'm Caardiff born I'm Caardiff bred 

an'

wen I dies I'm Caardiff ded

They'll build a little plot in Splott 

in memory of meeee....

It was originally marshland but drained behind a sea wall probably at some time in the medieval period but possibly in the Dark Ages or even by the Romans. who built Cardiff Castle.  It is a largely working class area of stone faced brick terraced houses, and relatively prosperous for such a demographic; percentage of owner/occupier house ownership is fairly high, and student blight low as it's a good way from the university campuses (campi?  No, that would mean that following the scampi rule the singular of campuses must be campo...).  

Shirley Bassey is from Splott, not Tiger Bay, Portmanmoor Road where she began her career singing in a pub called the Bomb and Dagger (allegedly because you were advised to take at least one of those items in there with you; the sort of spit and sawdust place where the sawdust is last night's furniture) at the age of 13.  That end of Splott is all industrial units now, but was a bit 'interesting'.  In Tiger Bay the coppers went in pairs for protection, but they didn't go down Portmanmoor at all unless they were proper mob-handed.  It was next to the steelworks and orange from iron ore dust.  

There was a pub called the Splottlands but it wan't in Splott, it was in Adamsdown, north of the SWML, and there was an Adamsdown pub over the road from it, but to confuse everyone there is an Adamsdown enclave south of the SWML, Sanquahar Street and it's side streets, which were railway cottages built by the South Wales Railway and among the oldest in the area.  A Splott Pub, the Ruperra, was licensed to open at 6am for the steelworkers.

If your friend has any more questions, I'll do my best!

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Been there done that.  It is apparently impossible to drive around Swindon without encountering this, this, whatever this thing is...  Is there any truth in the tale that it is in fact a magic pentangle to seal a portal to hell, and if you're in Swindon, how do you know whether or not it's shut...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

My brother, who was a postie in Swindon for many years, loved this monstrosity.

He always nipped through it quickly leaving the bewildered behind!

I've used it several times.

I have no idea where I was, where I was going or how I got there!

Kev.

• Funny 3

On 07/03/2020 at 15:28, Rugd1022 said:

Need somewhere to plonk that left over old carriage body you thought you'd never find a use for....? Ashden Halt, somewhere in Great Eastern territory....

RMW Ashden Halt.jpg

Update to my previous reply, (which reported that it was still there in 2014) - we went for a lovely, long walk in the area today and it's still there now, although looking very much the worse for wear... it is in Ashdon at the end of Fallowdon Lane, just where it splits into two private drives.

IMG_20200518_154030.jpg

IMG_20200518_154126.jpg

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Used to be one in Walsall as you enter on the A34 from Brum bit it has been emasculated over the  years as the number of islands has shrunk.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

The wife and I used to go to barn dances,

and there is a barn dance based on this roundabout.

I could never get that right so I'd be useless on the real thing.

is there one in Milton Keynes as well?

2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Splott is an area and council ward in Cardiff, broadly the area south and east of the SWML and west of the branch to Tidal Sidings (railways, some of them defunct and built over for many years, form a lot of Cardiff's boundaries as they preceded the development of all but the central area), it's western boundary being the dock complex.  The name is derived from the farm that occupied the area before it was developed for housing in the 1870s, Splottlands, itself a derivation of the medieval Welsh name, Ysblott (The Splott).  Local myth alludes to the name being derived from the land's ownership by the See of Llandaff, making it 'god's plot', but there is church owned land all over the place that does not attract this sort of thing.

To quote the famous rhyme:-

I'm Caardiff born I'm Caardiff bred 

an'

wen I dies I'm Caardiff ded

They'll build a little plot in Splott 

in memory of meeee....

It was originally marshland but drained behind a sea wall probably at some time in the medieval period but possibly in the Dark Ages or even by the Romans. who built Cardiff Castle.  It is a largely working class area of stone faced brick terraced houses, and relatively prosperous for such a demographic; percentage of owner/occupier house ownership is fairly high, and student blight low as it's a good way from the university campuses (campi?  No, that would mean that following the scampi rule the singular of campuses must be campo...).  

Shirley Bassey is from Splott, not Tiger Bay, Portmanmoor Road where she began her career singing in a pub called the Bomb and Dagger (allegedly because you were advised to take at least one of those items in there with you; the sort of spit and sawdust place where the sawdust is last night's furniture) at the age of 13.  That end of Splott is all industrial units now, but was a bit 'interesting'.  In Tiger Bay the coppers went in pairs for protection, but they didn't go down Portmanmoor at all unless they were proper mob-handed.  It was next to the steelworks and orange from iron ore dust.  

There was a pub called the Splottlands but it wan't in Splott, it was in Adamsdown, north of the SWML, and there was an Adamsdown pub over the road from it, but to confuse everyone there is an Adamsdown enclave south of the SWML, Sanquahar Street and it's side streets, which were railway cottages built by the South Wales Railway and among the oldest in the area.  A Splott Pub, the Ruperra, was licensed to open at 6am for the steelworkers.

If your friend has any more questions, I'll do my best!

Been there done that.  It is apparently impossible to drive around Swindon without encountering this, this, whatever this thing is...  Is there any truth in the tale that it is in fact a magic pentangle to seal a portal to hell, and if you're in Swindon, how do you know whether or not it's shut...

Yes it is possible to avoid it. There are several ways mind you it is interesting to drive round/through just wish I had a bumper car.

Keith

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Having spent a year at Swindon Training School I knew my way around Swindon, so after taking a trip to The Oasis pool one weekend with some mates (two cars) I proceeded to take us home via the Magic Roundabout. Totally confused my mate trying to follow me as I took a right to go the wrong way around the main island, only to do a 180 a couple of outer islands later. I won't repeat what he called me on arrival back home....

Hemel Hempstead has a similar beast, but the main island is alot bigger, so a little less confusing.