Prototype for everything corner.

I was struggling to work out what was going at here at first, but I think that the wagon is being using as a stationary storage tank for some reason? Does anyone knows for sure?

Meeth Clayworks 1975

Meeth clayworks (3), 1975

Edited by montyburns56
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Odd shape to build a shed though. I wonder if it was originally a roundhouse (i.e. accessed directly from the turntable) but they then relaid the whole outfit when locos got bigger and needed a larger table.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

I was struggling to work out what was going at here at first, but I think that the wagon is being using as a stationary stroage tank for some reason? Does anyone knows for sure?

Meeth Clayworks 1975

Meeth clayworks (3), 1975

Build a proper fuelling point for locos?

Nah, just use a couple of tank cars:

1a34726u2.preview.jpg

4 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Odd shape to build a shed though. I wonder if it was originally a roundhouse (i.e. accessed directly from the turntable) but they then relaid the whole outfit when locos got bigger and needed a larger table.

I would surmise that as it was (still is) a terminal with mostly, frequent services there was a requirement to turn locos without blocking the servicing and shed facilities. 

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

I would surmise that as it was (still is) a terminal with mostly, frequent services there was a requirement to turn locos without blocking the servicing and shed facilities. 

Your reply prompted me to look it up on Google Earth. Still an interesting location for someone who wants a simple modern US layout. The turntable is even still there, albeit marooned in a car park.

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Your reply prompted me to look it up on Google Earth. Still an interesting location for someone who wants a simple modern US layout. The turntable is even still there, albeit marooned in a car park.

Well spotted

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@41.0993127,-72.3644072,3a,90y,80.06h,88.56t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sndxpjkQgf1bXAHWqfSPrHw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, rockershovel said:

Quite possibly, but roundhouses were rare in the UK, tank engines common, and wyes or balloon loops unknown. In U.K. terms, it is an unremarkable configuration. 

There were some locations in the UK where the shed did not need a turntable because there was a nearby triangular junction, effectively a wye.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

There were some locations in the UK where the shed did not need a turntable because there was a nearby triangular junction, effectively a wye.

There’s one around the Bristol area.

Is Yarmouth on a wye? I remember going there by train as a child, and there being some sort of reversing manoeuvre to get the train turned 

20 hours ago, The Johnster said:

The GW were interested at one time in a scheme to electrify the South Devon Railway downline from Newton Abbott, and I assume the Cornwall as well, the issue being the same one it always is with the GW, the South Devon banks.  These are the legacy of Brunel's failed atmospheric railway, and are a major obstacle if you want to run a service through non-stop from Paddington to Plymouth and not have to stop to change locos or attach at pilot at Newton Abbott; your steam loco is near the end of it's journey, and coal is limited, and your fireman is tired.  Of course, the electrification needs you to stop at NA or EX for a loco change; most trains stop there anyway.

The electrification study was published in (IIRC) 1937, and was predicated largely on trying to avoid high coal costs west of Newton Abbot. Similar considerations were behind the original GWR oil-firing scheme for the West Country (using war surplus fuel and facilities built for the Royal Navy) and I believe a scheme for diesel traction early in the BR years.

20 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I believe it was a 1,500v dc scheme that was being investigated, and like many things, it fell foul of German foreign policy decisions between 1939 and 45.  What the locos would have looked like is anyone's guess, but if you look at contemporary mainland European schemes, they tend to be boxy or crocodiley.  Twin or triple units were used in Scandinavia for the iron ore trains.

Nice thought, isn't it, an unlined green crocodile or triple box rod drive combo of about 6khp with a 60 wagon china clay humming up to Brent out of Plymouth at a rock steady 50mp not even at full throttle, while the down CRE passes behind a 3khp 2-D-2, fully lined out with shining brass window frames and air horns, and perhaps a polished copper shirtbutton roundel, followed by perhaps a 3 car articulated local emu stopper styled like a flying banana, good for 60mph with 3 fully loaded K40s in tow.  On the down, the next train is a fully fitted express goods, the 47xx having come off at NA, coasting downhill behind a 2.500hp mixed traffic 1-D-1, fully lined out but not with the polished metalwork.  For some reason in my mind's eye all these locos have silver painted roofs...

Given the GWR worked with the LNER out of London on the GC and the LNER was actively pursuing electrification on Woodhead to overcome a similar problem then I could imagine something very similar to the EM1 design being built for or at Swindon.

1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

And some sheds did have their own wye, eg Nine Elms and Grantham, so they were not unknown, although certainly not common.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1