Prototype for everything corner.

15 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

Blowing up the flickr version, it's numbered 9004, which appears to have been a special saloon.

This thread says it was used as an observation coach on the Kyle line:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/54136-gwr-club-saloon-9004/

I'm sure a GW expert will be along shortly with more info

Thanks, you're right and I've even managed to find some better pictures of it at Kyle Of Lochalsh.

GWR saloon at Kyle of Lochalsh Ex GWR Obs. Saloon 9004 at rear of Kyle train dep. Garve. Jul'82.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

15 hours ago, melmerby said:

Add Lifford plus the triangle formed by Grand Junction-St Andrews Junction- Saltley Junction

I left out Lifford as I don't sign it...!

Back when we had the HOBC on our patch we used to have to go down to Willesden to put it together and turn it via Acton Wells and Sou' West sidings, it was a right Royal pain the Aris' most nights because when the three sections were coupled together it was half a mile long, weighed 3,000tons and blocked the road for an hour and a half just to get it done.

Another triangle which springs to mind is at Westbury, between the station, Hawkeridge Junction and Blatchbridge Junction.

In my earlier post I referred to triangles within depots, expressly for turning steam locos, rather than triangular junctions which happened to be convenient for that purpose ! (Interesting though that discussion has been). Anyway, in Glasgow we went one better by having the Cathcart Circle (actually a loop) which could be, and I believe was, used to turn locos, sometimes by using them on a passenger train.

Back to triangles, I know Shipley (West Yorkshire) isn't technically a depot triangle, but it has been used for turning locomotives from Haworth shed (Worth Valley Railway) in the past. Happened for example in the 70's for filming 'Yanks' with s160 'Big Jim' heading down and back under steam to turn. Doesn't happen these days given the intense traffic levels on Airedale line (and regs around preserved locos on main line) though gala visitor "Royal Scot" was turned their before heading back for Crewe last year or year before.

1 hour ago, caradoc said:

In my earlier post I referred to triangles within depots, expressly for turning steam locos, rather than triangular junctions which happened to be convenient for that purpose ! (Interesting though that discussion has been). Anyway, in Glasgow we went one better by having the Cathcart Circle (actually a loop) which could be, and I believe was, used to turn locos, sometimes by using them on a passenger train.

Hi Caradoc,

The west coast postal trains were turned on the Cathcart loop to get all of the pick up and set down gear onto the correct side of the train.

Gibbo.

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, great central said:

Triangle just outside Nottingham, Mansfield junction-Beeston South junction, one leg was singled and doesn't see a lot of use but still there.

The single line bit is Lenton curve, we used to use it as the light engine turn back when running round coal trains at beeston before it was resignalled, there is a dedicated run round loop now nearer beeston (not that it’s used much any more either) 

other than the below test train I’ve not been round there for A few years! 

37601 on Lenton curve

Edited by big jim
  • Like 10

39 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Caradoc,

The west coast postal trains were turned on the Cathcart loop to get all of the pick up and set down gear onto the correct side of the train.

Gibbo.

And for a change of scenery they used the Hamilton Circle as well-_-

The ultimate configuration was Ardrossan and Ayr, both depots were built within a triangle, curiously Ayr had a turntable but Ardrossan didn't.

Jim

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Thanks, you're right and I've even managed to find some better pictures of it at Kyle Of Lochalsh.

GWR saloon at Kyle of Lochalsh Ex GWR Obs. Saloon 9004 at rear of Kyle train dep. Garve. Jul'82.

It's a G59 First Saloon built in 1930 and modernised in 1951

It's probably been modernised/modified again since.

EDIT

It now sports Pullman corridor connections & Buckeye couplings for use with other mainline stock as well as dual braking & ETH:

30008314806_0d099b7d22_b.jpg

(And oval buffers!)

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, luckymucklebackit said:

And for a change of scenery they used the Hamilton Circle as well-_-

The ultimate configuration was Ardrossan and Ayr, both depots were built within a triangle, curiously Ayr had a turntable but Ardrossan didn't.

Jim

That hadn’t occurred to me... it’s common US practice to turn complete trains, to get the stock the right way round. 

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Dinting-Glossop-Hadfield

Even the train service uses the full triangle

If we're going for the longest daily diagram that uses a triangle, for the last couple of Sundays I've been out to see some EMR HST's running from Leeds to St Pancras, that have been diverted through my home village on the Barnsley line.

The power car leading as it's gone South in the morning has still been leading on the evenings Northbound return !

Cheers,

Phil.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, caradoc said:

Anyway, in Glasgow we went one better by having the Cathcart Circle (actually a loop) which could be, and I believe was, used to turn locos, sometimes by using them on a passenger train.

I believe that was the only way they could turn the first Caledonian 4-6-0s when they were introduced. There wasn’t a big enough turntable at Polmadie.

7 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

There was a turntable at Ardrossan, at least at one time. A diagram of the layout in 1938 (‘LMS Engine Sheds Volume 7’) shows one, but the text says that a list of turntables made in 1953 does not include one at Ardrossan shed.

I went round Ardrossan shed a couple of times in the 1960s, but didn’t register the presence or absence of a turntable.

(Edit - there’s actually a picture in that book, taken ‘about 1935’ in which part of the table appears. The text also says that using the triangle was usually more convenient for turning an engine.)

(Further edit - here's that picture online:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64518788@N05/21702675044/in/photolist-z4MTbu-zLGGiM-G6behq-2hFkLNq-2is7Hgk-2fRqJRp-cCrb19-cCrc25-2inxn7d-2iHHQAA-2hFkLVp-cVW4cy-cVW3Y1-7WGBAk-2by1Smu-2hFjJtb-T7DTfP-YFzG7N-ucZ3FH-gDWVR-8jA72f-2inxn6b-2hFjJBT-G6m46H-dkCHsf-27NaH8q-dkCEQa-aBZF6L-dkCjtK-Vipj6h-Vipm4q-FSTym2-46RHfq-Ggryzd-GgBnh2-9sGPFS-GcNq4N-Go9NGQ-GL3LgU-GL3Lpu-GcNpVG-GcNpNN-GcXaVt-H5nCT1-H2gBVz-9cxNq8-bUC6Ko-2bkJr9v-2inwe38-7mC8Gm   )

Edited by pH
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

I left out Lifford as I don't sign it...!

Back when we had the HOBC on our patch we used to have to go down to Willesden to put it together and turn it via Acton Wells and Sou' West sidings, it was a right Royal pain the Aris' most nights because when the three sections were coupled together it was half a mile long, weighed 3,000tons and blocked the road for an hour and a half just to get it done.

Another triangle which springs to mind is at Westbury, between the station, Hawkeridge Junction and Blatchbridge Junction.

HOBC ?

13 minutes ago, 73c said:

HOBC ?

To answer your question, HOBC is a High Output Ballast Cleaner.
But don't ask me how it works, I still use soap and water to clean my ballast.:jester:

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, 73c said:

HOBC ?

The ballast cleaning train, some of it in this view here at Toton. When formed up, its big, yellow, and very very long....

21092013j.JPG.1cb8f6146e089384181079ef5edae6a7.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Going back to sheds with triangles, Gateshead was sat between two triangles once, and entire rakes have been sent 'the wrong way' out of Newcastle Central to get them turned round.