Prototype for everything corner.

On 26/05/2020 at 13:02, Fat Controller said:

It's a movement which requires propelling between Ipswich yard and Griffin quay.

Mmm, maybe Andi Dagworth can clarify. It likely has been propelled from Griffin Wharf to the GEML at Halifax Junction thence hauled through the tunnel and will likely be marshalled into a train in the Upper Yard.

If going to Griffin it'd be routed on the up main through platform 2 08 leading, van in rear for propelling from Halifax to the wharf?

C6T. 

Edited by Classsix T

• RMweb Gold
On 26/05/2020 at 14:40, montyburns56 said:

"Excuse me sir, is this your vehicle?"

D1595 Waterloo Dock, Liverpool, June 1966,

D1595 Waterloo Dock, Liverpool, June 1966,

When I ordered a pre owned class 47 I forgot to say OO scale.

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, keefer said:

By  chance i saw a video of these cars recently. Even when not in use, they make an impressive train.

Basically the 2 end sections are joined together, with the extra side-beams etc. carried on flat wagons.

I assume they do the same as the old UK transformer wagons (Crocodile/Weltrol etc) where there were a standard set of beams, supplemented by custom ones for unusual loads.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Classsix T said:

Mmm, maybe Andi Dagworth can clarify. It likely has been propelled from Griffin Wharf to the GEML at Halifax Junction thence hauled through the tunnel and will likely be marshalled into a train in the Upper Yard.

If going to Griffin it'd be routed on the up main through platform 2 08 leading, van in rear for propelling from Halifax to the wharf?

C6T. 

There's an account of this particular working in 'Freightliner; Life and Times'

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

16 hours ago, keefer said:

By  chance i saw a video of these cars recently. Even when not in use, they make an impressive train.

Basically the 2 end sections are joined together, with the extra side-beams etc. carried on flat wagons.

That is certainly a very impressive piece of kit 

My cousin sent me this photo. I imagine it is copyrighted to someone, but I thought it was too good to miss, even if only for a short time. 

It is for those ER modellers who would love to run the occasional GWR coach on their layout without needing to invoke rule 1. 

Here 44414 arrives at Bourne on the M&GN with a train from Nottingham. The first two coaches are GWR examples. If the destination was an east coast resort, they would have been even more of a rarity. 

44414 bourne gwr stock 1950s.jpg

• Like 18

I wasn't quite sure where to post this, I was sent it among a load of other photos of Glasgow Buchanan Street Station.  There is so much going on here, obviously the aftermath of a shunting accident involving some sort of gas tank wagon (or two, there is another at an angle to the rear), love the chalked notice warning "Danger - no naked lights" while several men stand about surveying the scene, it appears that a hose has been connected, presumably to remove the gas form the tanks.  It looks as though Buchanan Street Station came close to being demolished earlier than planned1426759143_gastank.jpg.f124e53fc297273e2b9cf74c27b8cef0.jpg

Jim

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Couldn't find the Darwinian Selection thread but for those with WNXX access I noticed the use of very long (like 10 or 15'+) camera poles/selfie sticks a couple of pole lengths from the OHL whilst filming a Class 88 on the juice :wacko:

http://www.wnxx.com/20/2005/310520/88002.htm

I recall the warnings not to get close to OHL as it could arc but somehow survived 15 years of commuting standing on wet platforms with the wire only about 6 or 7 foot away above me!

2 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

I wasn't quite sure where to post this, I was sent it among a load of other photos of Glasgow Buchanan Street Station.  There is so much going on here, obviously the aftermath of a shunting accident involving some sort of gas tank wagon (or two, there is another at an angle to the rear), love the chalked notice warning "Danger - no naked lights" while several men stand about surveying the scene, it appears that a hose has been connected, presumably to remove the gas form the tanks.  It looks as though Buchanan Street Station came close to being demolished earlier than planned1426759143_gastank.jpg.f124e53fc297273e2b9cf74c27b8cef0.jpg

Jim

Great photo Jim. Surprising that 4 staff members were willing to be in such close proximity. Looks to have been shunted "through the stops".

No ideas on the wagon they are dealing with, it seems to be long wheelbase, with an unusual handbrake lever orientation at the near end of the visible side? Something of a mystery to me. Presumably internal use for a location in the area where gas was needed but there was no other access, or even for mobile train heating via a boiler (the wagon appears to have lost its vacuum pipe in the "shunt" but has a steam heating pipe).

Thanks for sharing.

Martyn.

Edit: looks like the remains of a tender chassis, on its side, beyond the brick hut, hard to be sure though?

Edited by Signaller69
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

Great photo Jim. Surprising that 4 staff members were willing to be in such close proximity. Looks to have been shunted "through the stops".

No ideas on the wagon they are dealing with, it seems to be long wheelbase, with an unusual handbrake lever orientation at the near end of the visible side? Something of a mystery to me. Presumably internal use for a location in the area where gas was needed but there was no other access, or even for mobile train heating via a boiler (the wagon appears to have lost its vacuum pipe in the "shunt" but has a steam heating pipe).

Thanks for sharing.

Martyn.

Edit: looks like the remains of a tender chassis, on its side, beyond the brick hut, hard to be sure though?

Hardly likely to be internal user as it has (or had) both a vacuum pipe/bag and a steam bag so definitely equipped to run attached to a passenger train as tail traffic.   Presumably a supply for restaurant car gas or maybe even for any surviving gas lit coaches running between the gas works, wgerever that was, and the station.

• Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Signaller69 said:

Looks like a gas tank wagon built on a six-wheeled carriage underframe

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

Thanks for sharing.

Martyn.

Doesn't surprise me at all, considering some of the behaviour I’ve seen on site over the years. People tend to think that because it hasn’t already happened, it won’t; “the Germans/Japanese/whoever didn’t kill me, so the railway won’t” was a common attitude among that generation. 

Orwell describes an acceptance of danger among coal miners in “Road To Wigan Pier”.

Edited by rockershovel
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Jim

Jim,

Further to this, this is the only incident recorded (1959), a runaway which could well be what is shown in your photo:

https://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/eventsummary.php?eventID=8734

Martyn.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1