Prototype for everything corner.

10 hours ago, keefer said:

just linked to this, if you wanted to run 3rd-rail units that were typically 'tied' to certain other SR-lines, you could always model somewhere on the Shepperton branch as that's where a lot of the testing was done. 

There must've been approval/permission to test/commission the new/refurbed units there, as opposed to out on the 'main line'.

Yes.  Also many SR emu types, including REPs, were overhauled at Ashford and generally worked there and back under their own power which on a SED based layout gives you an excuse to run "foreign" types.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Ah - yes - Chart Leacon ! ............. anyone know, off hand, why that site was abandoned ? - it hadn't been sold off for housing last time I passed.

It was taken over by Bombardier, who shut fairly soon after. There was a Planning Application for it to re-open, mainly for stabling purposes, by South-Eastern. It would hold stock displaced from the sidings next to the Hitachi site, at the other end of Ashford Station. Planning approval was granted in January 2019.

• Like 1

On 12/06/2020 at 15:15, Wickham Green too said:

Hmmm ...... gone are the days when 'the railway' didn't need planning permission to do what it wanted on 'its own' land ! 

Looks like my last visit was to an open day a few days over twenty eight years ago !

'Ashford 150'- it's where my wife introduced me to Paul Wade.

On 09/06/2020 at 21:07, Joseph_Pestell said:

I can see what you mean. For some reason some of the gaps between the carriages show up less. But count the doors and windows.

Really? They all show up just fine for me.

• RMweb Premium

That’s very curious. Is it the remains of a scissors crossing? Or a double trap point? If it’s a double trap it’s very interesting that’s it’s protecting the line both ways, with no obvious sidings it serves in view. 

• RMweb Gold

Not the remains of a scissors as there’s no room to the right for the roads leading to it.  Moreover the trap point is protected by a signal and has a motor, so is controlled by a box or panel, while the ‘opposing’ ‘catch’ point is operated by a hand lever.  It is not a sprung point that has to be held over or the lever would have a foot plate.  It is, just to complicate matters already difficult to explain, not closed properly and will, left like that, derail anything passing over it in a facing direction.  

Paging Stationmaster, Mike to the thread, please...

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

Not the remains of a scissors as there’s no room to the right for the roads leading to it.  Moreover the trap point is protected by a signal and has a motor, so is controlled by a box or panel, while the ‘opposing’ ‘catch’ point is operated by a hand lever.  It is not a sprung point that has to be held over or the lever would have a foot plate.  It is, just to complicate matters already difficult to explain, not closed properly and will, left like that, derail anything passing over it in a facing direction.  

Paging Stationmaster, Mike to the thread, please...

I wonder when that was as the track layout has changed somewhat.

With an arrangement like that, surely anything derailed by the trap would re-rail itself at the other one!

It's in the down line heading for St Andrew's junction behind the camera. (rising gradient)

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

I think the photo is c.late '70s. The layout has been changed twice since then - it's a good job those catch points are long gone, a mate of mine had to set back with his train a while back when he couldn't get up the bank to St.Andrew's.... ;).

Landor St is still a regular relieving point for us, on the Small Heath job (6G67) we usually wait till we're given two yellows at the new gantry before setting off up the bank as you need to keep up the momentum with over 2,000tons behind you, if the single yellow at St.Andrew's is a flashing one you can breath a sigh of relief as you're guaranteed a single yellow with the route indicator off at Bordersely Junction  for going round the corner towards Tyseley. I've had a few wobbly standing starts from a red at St.Andrews in the past...!

Is the facing trap point to protect St Andrews Jc should a train pass the signal at danger, whereas the trailing catch point is to derail anything running away down the gradient ?

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, caradoc said:

Is the facing trap point to protect St Andrews Jc should a train pass the signal at danger, whereas the trailing catch point is to derail anything running away down the gradient ?

That's what I thought, the trailing point could be sprung to catch runaways but held closed when necessary, although it doesn't look too good in that photo.

• RMweb Premium
On 07/11/2013 at 21:45, jonny777 said:

This DMU formation is not something that I saw everyday.

post-4474-0-37260600-1383860696_thumb.jpg

This thread kicked off way back in 2013 with an unusual DMU formation: Here's another one that would raise eyebrows at a show if you modelled it:

Five FGW 153s - the front three have lights on and appear to have a few passengers on, the rear two are in darkness. I'm sure there was a discussion not long ago about how many units you can run together but can't find it.

• Like 9

38 minutes ago, JDW said:

This thread kicked off way back in 2013 with an unusual DMU formation: Here's another one that would raise eyebrows at a show if you modelled it:

Five FGW 153s - the front three have lights on and appear to have a few passengers on, the rear two are in darkness. I'm sure there was a discussion not long ago about how many units you can run together but can't find it.

I am sure it is a max  number of cabs 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, JDW said:

I remember that there were often unusual and lengthy DMU combinations on particular late evening workings used to get stock back to depots for servicing or maintenance. In Wessex days I remember travelling from home Bristol Temple Meads regularly on a service bound for Exeter St Davids often formed of 3 or 4 sets, often with only one or two sets in passenger use. Conversely some of the early morning ecs moves were formed of mixed sets to get them in position for the start of the timetable. Not many photographers active at 21.00 or 05.00 though,

cheers 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 18/06/2020 at 17:10, JDW said:

As far as I am aware that it is the limit - 5.

On 18/06/2020 at 18:04, Mark Saunders said:

Not quite, it is the number of Brake Control!

I know when I was working in planning we used to 'count cabs'. Clearly the reality might be brake controls but we used to do it by cabs. (Is that one and the same?)

Al

• Like 1

There were trains, such as those Exeter ones Rivercider mentions, at Cardiff when I was working nights at Southgate House near Central station about 15 years ago. I would see them about 0430-0500 on many mornings with combinations of 158s, 153s, and 150s heading east through the station. I don't know where they were heading, but maybe someone who worked there can fill in the gaps? 

• RMweb Gold
On 18/06/2020 at 18:04, Mark Saunders said:

Not quite, it is the number of Brake Control!

That must explain why some if not all of the hybrid central trains 3 car 150s had them removed in the intermediate cabs

1 hour ago, jonny777 said:

There were trains, such as those Exeter ones Rivercider mentions, at Cardiff when I was working nights at Southgate House near Central station about 15 years ago. I would see them about 0430-0500 on many mornings with combinations of 158s, 153s, and 150s heading east through the station. I don't know where they were heading, but maybe someone who worked there can fill in the gaps? 

That may also be the Wessex Trains era?

I think for a few years back then there was no booked maintenance for DMUs in Bristol, sets were maintained in Cardiff and Exeter. The first Cardiff-Portsmouth Harbour service each day conveyed a set, or sets, which were detached at Bristol or Westbury for other services, there may have been an ecs working also,

cheers  

• Like 1