Prototype for everything corner.

11 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

Oops I must double check what is typed, as it should read brake control units!

normally one per vehicle but 153’s have two as a backup in case of failure!

For the benefit of the ignorant, what bad things happen if you have 'too many' Brake Control Units?

3 minutes ago, lanchester said:

For the benefit of the ignorant, what bad things happen if you have 'too many' Brake Control Units?

Voltage drop as it could cause the EP valves of the rear units to deenergise causing a brake application on the vehicle concerned!

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 18/06/2020 at 17:10, JDW said:

I'm sure there was a discussion not long ago about how many units you can run together but can't find it.

Apologies if shots of these have appeared before; these are the only train pics I've taken since Lockdown commenced... the stored Pacer fleet on the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway.  Mentioned here because some members were joking on the FB group for the railway if the reopening special could be a diesel gala of the whole lot running in one long, horrifying train up the branch :)

BEN_BUCKI_KWVR-PACERS_2020_02.jpg.93b4f0b2bc38e7f9cd6eafdf45dfc111.jpg

Lighting isn't great, but it was about 6am :)  I gather most of these units are still there, certainly looked the case the last time I drove past.

BEN_BUCKI_KWVR-PACERS_2020_01.jpg.c637248ae51f95fcd990b360d101b08e.jpg

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ben B said:

Apologies if shots of these have appeared before; these are the only train pics I've taken since Lockdown commenced... the stored Pacer fleet on the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway.  Mentioned here because some members were joking on the FB group for the railway if the reopening special could be a diesel gala of the whole lot running in one long, horrifying train up the branch :)

Add few more and they wouldn't need to, the train would be longer than the branch!

• Funny 5

4 hours ago, melmerby said:

Maybe Northern are hoping that they can just dump them there and leave it to the K&WVR to dispose of them?

:jester:

Probably hoping some of the locals will, a couple have already been graffitied...

Well, they've still got a pair of Waggon und Maschinenbau pre-Pacers to make up the numbers.

KWVR will be keeping one of the Pacers, partly for their operational fleet, partly so they have a more modern-looking unit for filming contracts I gather.  Would be handy for the Railcar Wednesday timetables off-season, where the W&M tends to get overwhelmed if there's a school trip on the line as well as the regular passengers.

• Like 3

Surely they will find homes on railways throughout the UK  such a wonderful design the hight of comfort and the liveries are fantastic.You can fool the people most of the time but I think if one of these turned up there would be a riot!!

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Ben B said:

Probably hoping some of the locals will, a couple have already been graffitied...

Difficult to tell the difference between this and legitimate liveries deze daze!

49 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

60046 Broad Lane, Nr Coalpit Heath

I actually initially thought that this was pulling a 158 DMU, but looking closer it seems to be 2 MK3's with the new plug doors in Mainline livery?? 

Is the intention to host rugby matches during weekend occupations?

• Funny 6

4 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Additional ? ......... you mean they've had income since lockdown ? ( Apart from loads of very generous donations to their appeal, of course.)

My understanding is that Northern are paying for the Pacers to be stored there. Which is money the KWVR wouldn't have been earning otherwise, hence the term additional.

I'm not affiliated with KWVR in anyway and just going off what I have gleamed from Facebook posts and conversations with people who are. Therefore I could be quite wrong.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

I actually initially thought that this was pulling a 158 DMU, but looking closer it seems to be 2 MK3's with the new plug doors in Mainline livery?? 

That is Chiltern Railways Mainline livery. Looks just as good if not better than the CT livery class 68s, only needs a DVT at the other end to complete the look.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

1 hour ago, Davexoc said:

That is Chiltern Railways Mainline livery. Looks just as good if not better than the CT livery class 68s, only needs a DVT at the other end to complete the look.

Pretty obvious if you click on the pic and magnify as it says "Chiltern Railways" on them:)!

chiltern.JPG.f90f2fd4d24dd655d137f03b799cbe8a.JPG

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LMS2968 said:

I wonder if he maintained the timetable?

Hi LMS,

I thought of Robert Louis Stevenson's quote:

"Little do ye know your own blessedness; for to travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive, and the true success is to labour." 

Gibbo.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

I think we should have a caption competition on this one .......... i reckon the diesel driver's saying "Nah - not what you think : I'm only pushing this smelly old thing out the way ...... 'onest guv."

..but which one is the "smelly old thing" and which one is "driving"?

Kev.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

There is an image of a GWR Large Prairie No 5134 at Leamington Shed with the shirtbutton emblem on its tanks but is in line with the middle of the firebox, compared to the usual center of the tanks.

Didn't ask permission for posting the photo, so I will not post it. I stumbled upon it on Warwickrailways gwrls230

EDIT: I should at least post the link: Warcickshinerailways

I guess you could say the instructions were unclear on where to put that 12" emblem ;) 

Edited by Ribird
  • Like 2

Is that photo of the Triang or Bachmann models? (Both makes have/had a Jinty & a BP in their ranges). I reckon it must be the Triang ones because the Jinty has a smoke unit.

BTW is that a cat curled up near the BP bogie?

Stewart

• Like 3