Prototype for everything corner.

2 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

"Boss, we've run out of sheet metal for the cab..... but we have found this old water tank...."

Jersey Eastern Railway Sentinel 

Weelll ...... FORMER Jersey Eastern Railway Sentinel ..................... what a great shame 'DOM' is no more ! - maybe someone should build a replica - starting with a water tank, of course.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

37xxx.jpg.b28a499a7a423fa8735dcc44a08e50f2.jpg

Here’s another unhealthy specimen. I remember pulling off the southbound M6 somewhere in Cumbria or Lancashire having seen this train waiting in a loop and assuming it would follow the next up passenger, which it did. Other than that, I don't know the exact location, loco number, what train it was or even the date (apart from early 90s).  

EDIT: it’s subsequently been identified as 37023 (thanks to poster 37114 for the information).

Edited by Western Aviator
Loco identified
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, melmerby said:

So much for clean air!

Why do diesel locos do that?

In the US it's not unusual to get bursts of flames as well (even without a blown turbo)

White smoke = water, normally from a head gasket or cracked liner, but could also be an leaking inter-cooler.

Blue smoke = oil, which indicates the piston rings have gone, or turbocharger seals.

Black smoke = unburnt fuel, which normally means the injectors are worn and not atomising the fuel properly.

Puffing black smoke = unburnt fuel from a single injector or sticking fuel pump over delivering fuel, possibly accompanied by loud banging.

Flames = unburnt fuel eventually burning in the exhaust system.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

With a diesel white smoke is usually vapourised diesel - i.e. fuel is being injected but the cylinder is not firing. Most prevalent on EE engines cold starting, plenty of videos on youtube for reference!

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Titan said:

With a diesel white smoke is usually vapourised diesel - i.e. fuel is being injected but the cylinder is not firing. Most prevalent on EE engines cold starting, plenty of videos on youtube for reference!

On a cold engine, yes it will be white-ish, but if it is hot, it will be coolant, as vapourised fuel would burn in the exhaust system at running temperatures, and on an EE with straight out the turbo exhaust ports, flames. Hence the unofficial volcano names applied by Tinsley...

• Informative/Useful 1

18 hours ago, Davexoc said:

White smoke = water, normally from a head gasket or cracked liner, but could also be an leaking inter-cooler.

Blue smoke = oil, which indicates the piston rings have gone, or turbocharger seals.

Black smoke = unburnt fuel, which normally means the injectors are worn and not atomising the fuel properly.

Puffing black smoke = unburnt fuel from a single injector or sticking fuel pump over delivering fuel, possibly accompanied by loud banging.

Flames = unburnt fuel eventually burning in the exhaust system.

White smoke = sneaky ciggie in the cab

Blue smoke = sneaky ciggie dropped in lap

Black smoke = sneaky ciggie dropped in lap then brushed off into bag which set on fire

Puffing black smoke = ex Steam driver

Flames = run away

• Like 1
  • Funny 13

1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

I don't fancy yours much Pt 2.

Leeds 1984

07/07/1984 - Leeds, West Yorkshire.

Like your number 12 shirt choice for the last dance in some dodgy night club in the 80's! 

I think I'll go for a kebab lads.......

Some great photos here! 

Regards 

Guy

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

I don't fancy yours much Pt 2.

Leeds 1984

07/07/1984 - Leeds, West Yorkshire.

There must be a guy with a paintbrush and a tin of warning panel yellow just out of shot, as you just don't get that much clean paintwork in one place....!

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

Fed up with the cliched burnt out brake van? Go one better with a burnt out carriage look!

The mortal remains of QPV DB977249 (ex Mk1 CK M16081) seen at Woodhams Yard.

Edited by SP Steve
  • Like 5

Go one different for your green / small yellow panel liveried loco by adopting the BR 'Arrows of Indecision'

Class 31 D5677 (31.249) seen stabled on Tinsley depot.

Edited by SP Steve
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Hi folks,

Couldn't get a photo today due to the rain but a pre-fab building about five minutes walk from here has a painted brick effect applied to help it blend in with the surrounding architecture; what it looks like is Superquick brick paper reproduced at 12":1' scale.  Hopefully I'll get a pic tomorrow and post it here.

Regards,

Alex.

• Like 2

I'm posting this mainly because of the number of brake vans in use, but I also noticed how one of them seems to be a ZTO brake van for departmental use, but I didn't know that this livery variant was in use in the 70s or is the photo date wrong??

Manors 1974

Manors c074

• Like 15

I'm posting this mainly because of the number of brake vans in use, but I also noticed how one of them seems to be a ZTO brake van for departmental use, but I didn't know that this livery variant was in use in the 70s or is the photo date wrong??

Manors 1974

Manors c074

I'd check the date: I don't think 'Dutch' livery was around that early.

• Like 1

Manors 1974

Manors c074

Looks like a trip from West Blyth to Tyne Yard the crane at the front is the ADRF96405 that was the only crane suitable for use on West Blyth Staiths, the tank is probably a waste oil tank with a Grampus behind that looks like it is filled with pick up coal off the Staiths and surplus Brake Vans going for use on weekend P'Way trains out of Tyne!

As for date more like 1984 as the North Tyneside loop had closed and the platforms to the right taken out of use and lifted since about 1977 when closed for conversion to Metro.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1