Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Mel_H said:

Fancy putting a 'privy' on your freight train?

96794083_hr6489-1---foto-fs---archivio-rivarossicopy.jpg.ce3c82cccde58745c44bf5063e1d8352.jpg

Much cheaper than fitting tanks to every carriage.

Run one of those in every consist and pipe all the

carriages to it. :) 

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

67 433 020967 Barrow D5716 and D3412

And the 08 is a prototype for when you've overdone the weathering, or to hide wasp stripes that went a bit dodgy....

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

image.png.3f148d40d825fc020a257008cb982022.png

"the new tank wagons for the export of vintage malt whisky are marked as 'petrol and mineral oil', to deter pilfering - and have an armed guard as a last resort"

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, rab said:

Ah, so that what's meant by "through piped"....

• Funny 2

6 hours ago, rab said:

I assumed it was added to the ends of trains before carriages got indoor plumbing. Mind you, I can see the level differences leading to some hilarious back-siphoning problems. 

On 26/06/2020 at 19:13, Western Aviator said:

37xxx.jpg.b28a499a7a423fa8735dcc44a08e50f2.jpg

Here’s another unhealthy specimen. I remember pulling off the southbound M6 somewhere in Cumbria or Lancashire having seen this train waiting in a loop and assuming it would follow the next up passenger, which it did. Other than that, I don't know the exact location, loco number, what train it was or even the date (apart from early 90s).  

It is 37023, it had non standard marker lights at no2 end.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, PatB said:

I assumed it was added to the ends of trains before carriages got indoor plumbing. Mind you, I can see the level differences leading to some hilarious back-siphoning problems. 

To be boringly prosaic, it's a guard's lookout, a common feature of mainland European stock. It has a brake standard, and if he's lucky, a seat for the guard. Quite a few Italian and Spanish ferry vans were so equipped.

I'm curious about the springs on the wagon; there seem to be two, parallel, sets of them.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

To be boringly prosaic, it's a guard's lookout, a common feature of mainland European stock. It has a brake standard, and if he's lucky, a seat for the guard. Quite a few Italian and Spanish ferry vans were so equipped.

I'm curious about the springs on the wagon; there seem to be two, parallel, sets of them.

Probably assister springs, common on road vehicles. There is a light spring in use all the time, but this deflects when the vehicle is loaded to bring a second, heavier spring into play to deal with the greater weight.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, LMS2968 said:

Probably assister springs, common on road vehicles. There is a light spring in use all the time, but this deflects when the vehicle is loaded to bring a second, heavier spring into play to deal with the greater weight.

I think a few early air-brake wagons on BR had something similar.

2 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

In the days before continuous brakes, end, European and American railways provided a number of brakemen along the length of the train to set the brakes on their wagons in motion. I don't know if it was done much in the UK, although Ffestiniog gravity slate trains were worked this way.

Obviously gives finer control than a brake van, but considerably more railwaymen to pay and rather worse conditions for them!

On 26/06/2020 at 19:13, Western Aviator said:

37xxx.jpg.b28a499a7a423fa8735dcc44a08e50f2.jpg

Here’s another unhealthy specimen. I remember pulling off the southbound M6 somewhere in Cumbria or Lancashire having seen this train waiting in a loop and assuming it would follow the next up passenger, which it did. Other than that, I don't know the exact location, loco number, what train it was or even the date (apart from early 90s).  

EDIT: it’s subsequently been identified as 37023 (thanks to poster 37114 for the information).

I didn't realise Class 37 engines had a 'make smoke' setting...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

Low Moor 1966

42055 at Bradford

First engine number I ever recorded! It was a Polmadie engine at the time (1962).

• Like 2

7 hours ago, markw said:

Re-Sprayed coach without masking roof

Also the solebar!

Worth also noting that this appears to be a newly outshopped blue and grey coach with a NE prefix in 1967, surely must have been one of the last applied as NE ceased to be used at the end of 1966

Jim

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

And the very small numerals.

This would be pretty much the Corporate Manual version of blue/grey i.e. as designed, before any concessions to day-to-day practicality.

See also these pics from Robert Carroll on Flickr:

M308_Wolverton_c1968

M9395_Blaenau-Ffestiniog_24-9-66

Edited by keefer
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

I think blue would have been correct for a corporate solebar at this date ....... and note that the bogie ( etc.) is a very deep brown rather than black.

Solebars were blue on mk1's until the end of the blue/grey era I believe. I certainly remember them in the mid 80's, though more often than not they were a rusty brown.

Edited by rodent279
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

On 07/07/2020 at 12:39, Wickham Green too said:

I think a few early air-brake wagons on BR had something similar.

I think it is for ride comfort for the guard, as the non-guard version has conventional single springs. If you want some, then Rivarossi are making them (new tooling), which is where the pictures came from...

hr6489-1---foto-fs---archivio-rivarossi (1).jpg

hr6490.jpg

• Like 2