Prototype for everything corner.

10 hours ago, Mel_H said:

.......  If you want some, then Rivarossi are making them (new tooling), which is where the pictures came from...

If they were ferried into the UK in the late forties ( I see no chaining-down rings ) and if Rivarossi are producing them in 4mm scale I'd love to take a couple .......................

Here's one for when you're still saving up for the trailers!

HST power cars, 43160 leading and 43088 pass Boat and Anchor crossing, Bridgwater, this afternoon 10/07/20, returning to Laira Depot from Wabtec, Doncaster Works. I understand these are 2 out of 4 additional power cars purchased for use as spares or possible additional Castle Class sets.

20200710_155228.jpg.7adc4b6e022aeb3c7eaed8ef6373ba3e.jpg20200710_155231.jpg.bdd72a6eae540be14786caa1099a01c3.jpg

• Like 13

7 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

"Fancy a race?"

Peterborough 1985

Peterborough June 1985,an HST departs for Kings Cross as a class 110 waits in platform 3 with a GNGE Joint line service to Doncaster.

Hi Monty,

Interestingly as a two car set the 110's had a better power to weight ratio than a standard HST set, possibly quicker over the first half a mile.

Gibbo.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Monty,

Interestingly as a two car set the 110's had a better power to weight ratio than a standard HST set, possibly quicker over the first half a mile.

Gibbo.

One evening back in the 70's, I was on a 304 going south leaving Nuneaton. At the same time, an 86 was also leaving south with a London train. There was a chap leaning out of a window of the kitchen car of the express; "beat you to Rugby" said I. The other chap just moved his head from side-to-side, saying no. The 304 raced away over the first half mile before being overtaken by the 86. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 09/07/2020 at 17:49, keefer said:

And the very small numerals.

This would be pretty much the Corporate Manual version of blue/grey i.e. as designed, before any concessions to day-to-day practicality.

See also these pics from Robert Carroll on Flickr:

M308_Wolverton_c1968

M9395_Blaenau-Ffestiniog_24-9-66

The lower picture (Blaenau Ffestiniog?) must be no earlier than 1966, so I am impressed by the coach in the background extreme right of frame.  It looks a bit like a Period 1 LMS Restaurant Car, but is in unlined maroon livery, which would be incorrect if such a vehicle still existed in service as late as this; lined maroon like the SK or SO behind it.  This latter coach is a recent production as it has B4 bogies.  

On second thoughts it can't be Blaenau Ffestiniog.  It isn't raining...

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, The Johnster said:

The lower picture (Blaenau Ffestiniog?) must be no earlier than 1966, so I am impressed by the coach in the background extreme right of frame.  It looks a bit like a Period 1 LMS Restaurant Car, but is in unlined maroon livery, which would be incorrect if such a vehicle still existed in service as late as this; lined maroon like the SK or SO behind it.  This latter coach is a recent production as it has B4 bogies.  

I think that you are right about that being an ex-LMS catering vehicle on 6-wheel bogies. Probably in some departmental role rather than in public use. If I can find my copy of Jenkinson/Essery, I will check the date they were last in service.

Edit to add: Last Period II catering vehicle in service (D1811), December 1962, so well before any blue/grey coaches.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

*in a David Attenborough voice*

"Here we see the Class M9 in its natural environment, hiding from its prey..... the trainspotter "

M9 868 at No 19 shop Dematagoda after fire dammage in 30.10.2011

Is that one of those 67 relatives with a ruston engine? 

• Like 1

On 06/07/2020 at 19:29, montyburns56 said:

"You want how many brake vans?"

SLS/MLS Furness Railtour 1967

67 433 020967 Barrow D5716 and D3412

On the subject of brake vans, we may have had this before - but it is worth a second post. 

1869792811_class24withguardsvans.png.3097da1fd5f3c7cacf5645cf0211d993.png

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, jonny777 said:

On the subject of brake vans, we may have had this before - but it is worth a second post. 

Interesting the loco isn't showing engine and van headcode 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, The Johnster said:

How about a Period 2 Corridor third something like M1498 or M1501 (D1782) which became Mess & Dorm vans?

1501 is preserved, was DM395801

http://www.lmsca.org.uk/stock/1501.php

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, russ p said:

No, it is a class E (I think) lamp code, but maybe they only connected up the first few vehicles to save time?

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, russ p said:

It would be wrong if it was. Class G, later 0, was light engine and up to TWO brake vans, which hardly fits in this case.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

The vans look very uniform for "in service" vehicles. Are we sure it's not a delivery run of new/refurbished vehicles? If such were the case, would an engine and van code be appropriate, or would it be a normal freight which just happens to be made up of vehicles that look like brake vans? 

Edit: Oops. Just blew the photo up a bit and read the caption. Next time, maybe I'll do that before asking the question. 

Edited by PatB
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

5 hours ago, melmerby said:

How about a Period 2 Corridor third something like M1498 or M1501 (D1782) which became Mess & Dorm vans?

1501 is preserved, was DM395801

http://www.lmsca.org.uk/stock/1501.php

I don't think it's a Dia.1782 as what would have been compartment ventilator looks to be more-or less centred over the axlebox - wrong for PII TK or TO .......... I'd guess a former catering vehicle or Brake Third which didn't have the lavvy at the end !!?!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jonny777 said:

Must have been from the last batch built ( Lot 3394 ) - these were 250 vans from Ashford .............. they're probably not all behind that single Type 2, tho.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

I don't think it's a Dia.1782 as what would have been compartment ventilator looks to be more-or less centred over the axlebox - wrong for PII TK or TO .......... I'd guess a former catering vehicle or Brake Third which didn't have the lavvy at the end !!?!

I'll have a look again at the coach list in Hugh Longworths book

It lists, as well as when the coaches finished revenue service, any later life as departmentals.

Essery & Jenkinson don't have that info.

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, The Johnster said:

On Flickr Robert Carroll shows the date as 24-9-66 which would make it the LCGB Conwy Valley Railtour. https://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/60s/660924lc.html.

Regarding the LMS coach, all of the post-grouping restaurant cars were flush sided, not beaded panelling, so it isn't one of those. I am drawn to the possibility of it being one of the D1707 Royal Scot semi-open firsts which went into departmental stock c1957/58.

Some LMR departmentals were finished in unlined maroon. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

On Flickr Robert Carroll shows the date as 24-9-66 which would make it the LCGB Conwy Valley Railtour. https://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/60s/660924lc.html.

Regarding the LMS coach, all of the post-grouping restaurant cars were flush sided, not beaded panelling, so it isn't one of those. I am drawn to the possibility of it being one of the D1707 Royal Scot semi-open firsts which went into departmental stock c1957/58.

Some LMR departmentals were finished in unlined maroon. 

All of 1023-1027 (D1707) went into departmental use.

1023 (DM395205) is preserved on the East Lancs Railway:

http://lmsca.org.uk/wiki/1023

• Like 1