Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Yep, although judging from the problems with it seems to be the black sheep of the family.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sri_Lanka_Railways_M9

I looked at that earlier,  they sound fantastic.  Not sure what the engine is its smaller than the CSVT range I initially thought these locos had the same engine as the 37/9s but they are V12s . New engine or something going back a while? 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Regarding the LMS coach, all of the post-grouping restaurant cars were flush sided, not beaded panelling, so it isn't one of those. I am drawn to the possibility of it being one of the D1707 Royal Scot semi-open firsts which went into departmental stock c1957/58.

Some LMR departmentals were finished in unlined maroon

We seem to have an answer.  The lack of lining suggested a departmental but I couldn't square what I thought was a period 1 restaurant car with this!

• Like 1

On 11/07/2020 at 02:02, The Johnster said:

The lower picture (Blaenau Ffestiniog?) must be no earlier than 1966, so I am impressed by the coach in the background extreme right of frame.  It looks a bit like a Period 1 LMS Restaurant Car, but is in unlined maroon livery, which would be incorrect if such a vehicle still existed in service as late as this; lined maroon like the SK or SO behind it.  This latter coach is a recent production as it has B4 bogies.  

On second thoughts it can't be Blaenau Ffestiniog.  It isn't raining...

Blaenau it is on 24 Sept. 1966. The coach behind is a mess coach in departmental red livery, with panelled over windows and gangways removed.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, The Johnster said:

We seem to have an answer.  The lack of lining suggested a departmental but I couldn't square what I thought was a period 1 restaurant car with this!

My photo in my collection has doors inboard of the ends and toilets at end. That rules out D1707 and D1782.  I propose it's a D1807 Open third of 1931-2, a number of these were departmental, of which DM395784 & 811 are possible candidates. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

Do you have a problem with the trailer half of your DMU? Broken coupling perhaps, or derailing bogie?

Fear not, just run the powered car on its own. 

Class 101 DMU @ Low Fell Junction, Gateshead, Tyne & Wear, 1984 [slide 8436]

Did the driver have to reverse whilst leaning out of the cab window for the return service? ;) 

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

On 11/07/2020 at 22:00, russ p said:

I looked at that earlier,  they sound fantastic.  Not sure what the engine is its smaller than the CSVT range I initially thought these locos had the same engine as the 37/9s but they are V12s . New engine or something going back a while? 

Sadly, not one of Alstom's finest products when fitted with the Ruston (MAN B&W) V12 RK2154T for export sales, rather than the EMD 710 (as fitted to the Class 66, 67 and 69). According to the caption, this one had only re-entered service a year before after overhaul and upgrade, but is a good flame thrower. Sounds throaty though. The 16-strong M7 class, built by Brush in 1981 with EMD 645 power units (think Class 59) were probably a better buy...

Edited by Mel_H
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Mel_H said:

Sadly, not one of Alstom's finest products when fitted with the Ruston (MAN B&W) V12 RK2154T for export sales, rather than the EMD 710 (as fitted to the Class 66, 67 and 69). According to the caption, this one had only re-entered service a year before after overhaul and upgrade, but is a good flame thrower. Sounds throaty though. The 16-strong M7 class, built by Brush in 1981 with EMD 645 power units (think Class 59) were probably a better buy...

Good grief, how many barbecued pigeons must have dropped from under the footbridge after that service pulled away :)

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
On 12/07/2020 at 21:06, Merfyn Jones said:

My photo in my collection has doors inboard of the ends and toilets at end. That rules out D1707 and D1782.  I propose it's a D1807 Open third of 1931-2, a number of these were departmental, of which DM395784 & 811 are possible candidates. 

The window position relative the bogie would I think points towards the D1721/1722/1738/1795. If your picture shows the toilet window that would narrow down the possibles.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Following a tip from @Merfyn Jones I did some digging and found two more pictures which confirm the body side layout of the mystery coach at Blaenau Ffestiniog. It does appear to be an early P2 open coach with panel beading. 

7141758229_5d16df3908_z.jpg42574/42644 Blaenau Ffestiniog 24.9.66 by George Woods, on Flickr

1966SEP24JMCR002cs.jpg

Photo by John M Cramp, 

30937 Transport Photograph Database on Flickr

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
Typo
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Following a tip from @Merfyn Jones I did some digging and found two more pictures which confirm the body side layout of the mystery coach at Blaenau Ffestiniog. It does appear to be an early P2 open coach with panel beading. 

7141758229_5d16df3908_z.jpg42574/42644 Blaenau Ffestiniog 24.9.66 by George Woods, on Flickr

1966SEP24JMCR002cs.jpg

Photo by John M Cramp, 

30937 Transport Photograph Database on Flickr

Going OT slightly that mk2 must have been virtually brand new , wonder how it ended up in charter set as we know them today 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, russ p said:

Going OT slightly that mk2 must have been virtually brand new , wonder how it ended up in charter set as we know them today 

It started from Euston so was probably one of the Euston/Manchester/Liverpool sets that was spare at the weekend. From the late 1960s through to the 1980s we used to get them on our holiday trains, including the Pullman sets to Devon and Cornwall.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, russ p said:

There was another at the other end of the train, 7 coaches, the rest were Mk.1s one being blue/grey.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Merfyn Jones said:

There was another at the other end of the train, 7 coaches, the rest were Mk.1s one being blue/grey.

:offtopic:

The first years of the electric services were a bit of a mixture. Still lots of maroon stock amongst the blue/grey and a lot of mixed Mk1 / Mk2 rakes especially when the Manchester / Liverpool via Birminghams were introduced in 1967. There was a shortage of BSOs on the LMR which is what resulted in 90mph Porthole BSKs being painted blue/grey as a stopgap measure. Very entertaining downhill through Betley Road when the driver forgot he had one on the train.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 15/07/2020 at 10:55, TheSignalEngineer said:

It started from Euston so was probably one of the Euston/Manchester/Liverpool sets that was spare at the weekend. From the late 1960s through to the 1980s we used to get them on our holiday trains, including the Pullman sets to Devon and Cornwall.

Yes and when the WCML Mk3 sets appeared, they often had 31s in charge; as seen here at Teignmouth. 

1183358826_31xxx31xxxmk3steignmth1992.jpg.f37db6464b9d55d417b26fa5d2af6de5.jpg

• Like 13

Feels like I can finally contribute to this thread. Take a look at this clip, 8 minutes in. Now, I can't recall seeing a DMU formation quite like this anywhere previously in the thread.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, LU_fan said:

Feels like I can finally contribute to this thread. Take a look at this clip, 8 minutes in. Now, I can't recall seeing a DMU formation quite like this anywhere previously in the thread.

Which neatly takes us back to where this thread started, Oddball DMU formations.

Edited by rab
  • Like 4