Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Premium
On 29/06/2020 at 18:37, Alex TM said:

Hi folks,

Couldn't get a photo today due to the rain but a pre-fab building about five minutes walk from here has a painted brick effect applied to help it blend in with the surrounding architecture; what it looks like is Superquick brick paper reproduced at 12":1' scale.  Hopefully I'll get a pic tomorrow and post it here.

Regards,

Alex.

Hi again,

Posted the above some three weeks ago yet only realised this week that I hadn't got around to taking and posting a picture; sorry.

Anyway, evidence that Superquick may have gone into production of 12":1' scale brickpaper:

618290701_KBSuperquickbldgJul2020.JPG.39a43731317e156d6b2ce8de2a687974.JPG

The prototype is on the King's Buildings campus of the 'University of Edinburgh'.  From a reasonable distance it simply looks like a new-ish building, but as you get closer you realise that no bricks were harmed in its construction.

Thanks for the patience.

Regards,

Alex.

Edited by Alex TM
Correcting typos.
  • Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

We had some very strange combos on the lines to Marylebone just before our new stock arrived,our regular units disapeared and everybodys cast offs appeared.I think every make of dmu was mixed up ,I went up to London one morning in Met Cam driving unit a 108 trailer a 115 trailer and a 104 driving trailer.We did not get Cravens thank goodness experienced them out of Norwich not a pleasant experience.I t was a great relief to receive the 165 ,s which are still a good unit to ride in.The next thing will be electrification someday.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

A bit of everything at Moorgate in 1959

1959 - The Original Moorgate..

I notice "Robert Gadsdon" is claiming copyright on a photograph of unknown origin.:scratchhead:

A lot of people seem to think that they can claim copyright in that way.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

It's strange seeing Moorgate in the open like that. More used to the later subterranean station.

The Widened Lines in general is like that, you get the impression of a dark and dingy 'underground' line but a lot of it is actually in the open, albeit often hidden behind buildings

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, melmerby said:

I notice "Robert Gadsdon" is claiming copyright on a photograph of unknown origin.:scratchhead:

A lot of people seem to think that they can claim copyright in that way.

Copyright is a problem area -

1) for the original to be out of copyright the photographer would have had to have died before 31 December 1949, copyright in general is 70 years from date of death of the creator not the date of creation of the work. Unless a BR image (50 year Crown Copyright) then the photo should not have been copied for publication as the photographer was obviously still alive when he/she took it in 1959!

2) Whether or not the original was legally copied, then yes you do own copyright of the new digital image but obviously not the original artistic content of whatever it is you have now digitally copied. Notable examples of this re-copyrighting are old maps on-line, museum produced images etc. For example you can legally copy paper OS maps from prior to 1970 (50 year copyright has expired)  and do what you like with them but not so for the digital rescans on sites like that of the National Library of Scotland, it is only their new rescan that is back in copyright not the master copy. As their new rescan is in copyright they have rules regarding what you can do with them, how many copies can be licenced for further reproduction etc.

It can be a nightmare though, for the SLS Journal  I often have to republish images with no known source, the Society makes no claim on the photo' content BUT the page layout etc., of the page it is on is very definitely our copyright.

Edited by john new
Date error 1950 changed to the correct 31/12/1949
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

12 hours ago, Alex TM said:

Hi again,

Posted the above some three weeks ago yet only realised this week that I hadn't got around to taking and posting a picture; sorry.

Anyway, evidence that Superquick may have gone into production of 12":1' scale brickpaper:

618290701_KBSuperquickbldgJul2020.JPG.39a43731317e156d6b2ce8de2a687974.JPG

The prototype is on the King's Buildings campus of the 'University of Edinburgh'.  From a reasonable distance it simply looks like a new-ish building, but as you get closer you realise that no bricks were harmed in its construction.

Thanks for the patience.

Regards,

Alex.

Here in Australia we have a lot of quite old timber framed houses with corrugated iron roofs. For many years, thanks to brick industry propaganda, this was deeply unfashionable and even a source of shame. As a result, several manufacturers offered fibre-cement cladding sheets embossed with faux brickwork, and tin roofing pressed in the shape of pantiles. Houses so treated are getting rare enough now that spotting them is a fun game when in country towns (most have now gone from more urban areas).

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Alex TM said:

Anyway, evidence that Superquick may have gone into production of 12":1' scale brickpaper: <photo snipped>

Alex.

Lincoln Prison's wall is made of steel sheets covered with faux brick sheets: Streetview

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

That kind of thing is pretty common. I saw a block of flats being constructed somewhere near Southwark, and the external walls were a case of chunks of embossed plastic/ resin with industrial bath sealant at the joins. As a result it went up pretty quickly. Actual bricks would have been pretty silly for that job, too.

• Like 1

On 18/07/2020 at 23:22, dagrizz said:

Isn't that a Dick Riley photo? I'm sure I've seen it before. There is reference in the Transport Treasury to 40032 at Moorgate on 14th May 1959. Their reference numbers 13310/2.

Graham

I think that is very possible. I have a photo of 40022 credited to R.C Riley which looks like it was taken shortly after this one, in the book 'London Steam. Scenes from the Fifties and Sixties by Michael Welch (Capitol Transport, 1999). In the picture the Scottish BRCW (as there were known to me and my compadres during my gricing days) has left and the Fowler tank appears to be pulling the same consist out. The same LT stock is also present. They are both wonderful, fascinating pictures.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Zomboid said:

....., and the external walls were a case of chunks of embossed plastic/ resin with industrial bath sealant at the joins. .......

The Bromley town centre bypass bridge ( Kentish Way ), built in 1991 has 'Brick-look' concrete parapets cast in sections and - somehow - they've managed to get exactly the same colouring*, as well as texture, in each panel. ( The inside of the parapets are lined with real bricks ! )

* including identical blemishes in the London yellow stock brick 'infill' !

540.09.jpg

549_25.jpg

Edited by Wickham Green too
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

The Bromley town centre bypass bridge ( Kentish Way ), built in 1991 has 'Brick-look' concrete parapets cast in sections and - somehow - they've managed to get exactly the same colouring*, as well as texture, in each panel. ( The inside of the parapets are lined with real bricks ! )

* including identical blemishes in the London yellow stock brick 'infill' !

540.09.jpg

549_25.jpg

Didn't you know?

It comes out of a tin and you brush it on and it dries with a brick effect.:no:

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

On 19/07/2020 at 01:48, PatB said:

Here in Australia we have a lot of quite old timber framed houses with corrugated iron roofs. For many years, thanks to brick industry propaganda, this was deeply unfashionable and even a source of shame. As a result, several manufacturers offered fibre-cement cladding sheets embossed with faux brickwork, and tin roofing pressed in the shape of pantiles. Houses so treated are getting rare enough now that spotting them is a fun game when in country towns (most have now gone from more urban areas).

“Brick industry propaganda”?

Actually, I’ve had experience of buildings with corrugated iron roofs in desert areas and they work better than you might think - the usual construction is to have a double roof so the wind can blow between the two layers. Otherwise they are unbearably hot. 

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

Just a thought.... might this be associated with long distance pigeon racing? 

Don’t think the train would be able to go that fast.

• Funny 4