Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

Didn't they use Gresley vans for that?

Wouldn't the type of van deployed to carry the pigeon baskets (if that was the working this is)  depend on the originating stations for loading up? Pigeons originating from collecting points on the WR therefore going north in WR vans.

Edited by john new
Missing ?
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, john new said:

Wouldn't the type of van deployed to carry the pigeon baskets (if that was the working this is)  depend on the originating stations for loading up? Pigeons originating from collecting points on the WR therefore going north in WR vans.

By that date all parcels vans were effectively common user and the first available vehicles would have been loaded to the far-flung reaches of the Empire - ESPECIALLY if they were 'foreign' vehicles so an assumption of WR origin may be a long way off the mark.

......... and they could be 'adopted' for internal use a long way from home rails too ! ( Wick 15/4/80 )

b46.07.jpg

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold

Thats got droop nose from a rough shunt you can tell because the lower skirt below the grills has been straightened by the impact, compare it to the other end :)

the repaint is likely due to a graffiti attack

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

From a BR related facebook group.... ;)

F OFF SI.jpg

.... and here's another one.

460051641_Stockport1990.jpg.45a6ea57b5965f5adff7c1a1e9cbfee7.jpg

A colleague of mine (until I retired in March), who is a qualified Signal Sighting Chairman, from time-to-time holds Signal Sighting  presentations/training sessions for graduate signal engineers -  he usually finishes his presentations with this slide.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

15 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

My video recorder's almost as rude - when I turn off the power it says P-OFF .........

The post electrification/pre 1980s remodelling signalling at Crewe had similar "off" and route stencils to those pictured provided mid platform.  A down direction route for the main line towards Weaver Jn would result in "P" "OFF" being displayed which always used to amuse us as puerile teenagers in the early 1970s.

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

My video recorder's almost as rude - when I turn off the power it says P-OFF .........

Mine's much more refined, it says "Bye" when switched off & "Hello" when switched on (Panasonic).

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 22/07/2020 at 17:00, jonny777 said:

ust a thought.... might this be associated with long distance pigeon racing? 

It might, but several things do not make sense about the photo.  The loco, running tender first not that there's anything wrong with that, is showing headlamp code for a class 9 unfitted goods or mineral train, which should carry a brake van at the rear with a guard riding in it and displaying side and tail lamps.  In this instance the van is a piped only vehicle and the guard is riding in the Collett van, so the train should be carrying a class 6 headcode.

Which general ramblings do not prevent this being a pigeon special or the return empty stock from one, but there is no reason to suppose that it is a pigeon special either.  AFAIK only the LNER built vans specifically for pigeon traffic, and by 1966 those still in service were employed as 'pool' parcel vehicles as has been stated.  Pigeon traffic required any NPCCS that had fold down shelves inside, so that the baskets could be loaded on to the shelves as well as the floor; most NPCCS type had this, but IIRC GUVs and CCTs did not.  The shelves 'hung' in position held by chains, which rattled characteristically when the shelves were not in use.  But bogie vehicles were preferred for pigeon traffic as the train could run at a higher speed.  

I once saw the birds being released at Cardiff General's platform 5, long a part of history now; a most impressive sight as thousands of birds darken the sky, find their bearings, and are gone!

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

.......... while nicely painting / distressing / weathering the goods van next to it  -  but leaving the roofs of BOTH in grey plastic !

I reckon the van has a white roof, which could put it on the chocolate circuit?

Also note that the platform 7 sign is wonky, and the masking of the warning panel/roof of that 110 leaves alot to be desired. And that looks to be a 4-car unit rather than the more normal 3-car, as there are no arrows of indecision on the third vehicle to denote it has drivers cab.

All in all, an interesting image of a seemingly mundane subject.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I particularly like the prototypical distance of tension-lock coupling between the ventilated van and the BG.

Kev.

• Funny 1

2 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

That reminds me of some dodgy signage that passed through my scanner the other day : -

609_24.jpg

That is a classic. Thanks. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 22/07/2020 at 23:38, Wickham Green too said:

By that date all parcels vans were effectively common user and the first available vehicles would have been loaded to the far-flung reaches of the Empire - ESPECIALLY if they were 'foreign' vehicles so an assumption of WR origin may be a long way off the mark.

......... and they could be 'adopted' for internal use a long way from home rails too ! ( Wick 15/4/80 )

I remember there being a picture which I think got posted to this site some years ago showing a Hawksworth vehicle at Kyle of Lochalsh.

• Like 1