Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Gold
On 18/08/2020 at 16:49, Metr0Land said:

Can't afford the new high fidelity APT?  Why not go halves with a mate?

Gauging test with tilt failed wrong way, perhaps?

Edited by 96701
Typing in the wrong bit......

1 hour ago, sir douglas said:

just seen 2 class 66's top & tailing a pair of empty container wagons, sorry no photo

Possibly a wagon repair trip? I saw this photo today and on second glance it’s actually quite a mash up...GBRf-operated working led by 66763, hauling a dead DB Maritime livery 66005 (these workings often used to transfer locos), then a DB red MXA 'Lobster' bogie box (ex-BDA chassis), YSA 'Salmon' bogie flat, then what appears to be a blue livery BDA. I’ve never seen the blue BDA before, very modellable I’d have thought...

66763 66005

(Flickr link)

Jack.

• Like 11

The GBRf pair of 50s are now regulars top and tailing loads of two or three old coaches or the occasional HST power car. Kernow are doing a limited edition pack of the pair as they are now in N gauge. That makes an interestingly different nice little train for a modern layout. Here they are passing through a rather wet Widney Manor last Monday. Sorry about the quality, these are snapshots from my video.

image.png.e0ba949b68ae2392580c40403a1b8e31.png

image.png.9fa4725d53c28275785a5d91bb340f72.png

Edited by Chris M
Photo added
  • Like 9

On 22/08/2020 at 06:30, Hilux5972 said:

2 class 66’s for 5 empty hoppers? Bit of overkill innit. 

Probably down to operational convenience, it may have saved a run round en route or the rear loco may be needed elsewhere. Happens more often than you'd think and saves an expensive light loco path.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

That looks very much like the main hall at the BeiJing railway museum.

..but I don't recall the center wheels though!

(I'll have a shifty through the phots I took..)

Kev.

• Like 1

On the subject of wacky coal wagons, Burlington Northern's Trough Train warrants a mention:

Trough Train

Yup, that's a 13-unit articulated coal hopper. Or rather, 23 of them in one train, because that's what happens when North American railroads and King Coal meet. You definitely won't get that under the screens in the Welsh Valleys.

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Here's a whole rake of these "10-wheelers" on a train heading through KaiFeng in 2004.

I remember them as being quite noisy (they were empty) and there was one car, in the middle, which was "hunting around" alarmingly! I wonder if the centre wheel was set wrong and was taking too much of the weight of the car?

image.png.57bdad491182b707eb0ad9688ce2681a.png

Kev.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RLBH said:

On the subject of wacky coal wagons, Burlington Northern's Trough Train warrants a mention:

Trough Train

Yup, that's a 13-unit articulated coal hopper. Or rather, 23 of them in one train, because that's what happens when North American railroads and King Coal meet. You definitely won't get that under the screens in the Welsh Valleys.

If I didn't know better I'd swear that was alongside Loch Carron on the Kyle Line !

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, RLBH said:

Trough Train

How do the stop the coal falling out the joins?

Lasted until BNSF days:

showimage.php?id=71186&key=2061011