Prototype for everything corner.

You could always apply a bit of selective compression and accept a vehicle or two less per siding. Or maybe backdate it and allow for the same number of wagons but use older, 4 wheel stock which, even allowing for longer Continental wheelbases , should shrink it significantly. 

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, dana said:

found on the internet and email through flicker notification 

Phil Parker's Spotted & photographed telephone Coffee shop

https://www.flickr.com/photos/45131642@N00/50219822067/in/album-72157675298195078/

phone box book exchange

https://009adventure.blog/2020/07/08/model-it-telephone-box-library/

No pictures of their previous alternative use... public urinals! 

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, PatB said:

You could always apply a bit of selective compression and accept a vehicle or two less per siding. Or maybe backdate it and allow for the same number of wagons but use older, 4 wheel stock which, even allowing for longer Continental wheelbases , should shrink it significantly. 

There are already a selection of tanks in this google shot, short 4 wheelers, long 4 wheelers and bogies:

https://goo.gl/maps/yJXqjTFe8PnwSNqg7

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 03/02/2019 at 18:48, EEType4 said:

Got a disproportionate number of buffet cars, no problem:

43158 & 43092 Nottingham 03121982.JPG

On 05/02/2019 at 01:18, 30851 said:

The book "British Rail at Work: East Midlands" has a photo of a set with the same formation - it says it was for crew-training. Dated 24th September 1982 and said to consist of 43195, 43196, 40516, 40514, 40512 and 44093.

Rob

Going way back to February last year, but just noticed something in the May 1982 R.O.

"Training unit: The Tyseley test train has recently been formed of 43183/4 with 44083 and 40513/4/5, officially stored at Derby."

So definitely a training/test train with various vehicles used but always formed PC +TGS + 3 x TRUK + PC

• Informative/Useful 1

This is not really a prototype for anything, but was in a strip of negatives I have been scanning while watching the Tour de France. 

60024 'Walter K Whigham' approaches Doncaster in the early 1960s with what looks to be a 14 coach train; however the interest in the background is fascinating from a modelling point of view. 

Gas tank vehicle in the goods train make-up, and a couple of fish vans brought in by the class 114 DMU from Grimsby at the other platform face. A diesel shunter yet to receive  wasp stripes, and over by the Works, along with a couple of Mk1 sleeping cars is a brand new EE Type 4 with central head code box. 

2020-09-05-0012.jpg.7b90e1e4b67626ea70fa2b724db0b20b.jpg

Edited by jonny777
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold

This is one of those photos where the longer you spend looking at it the more detail you can see.  The 15mph speed restriction through the single slip is a nice piece of detail, and there is a saloon or dynamometer car of Gresley style in the up bay.  The gas tanks are not far off the loading gauge height,  The Factory clock is showing 5 past one, and the chap on the platform who has a camera but hasn't considered that Walter is worthy of a shot is dressed very characteristically for the period.  Perhaps he's out of film and is thinking 'wouldn't it be wonderful if somebody invented some sort of electronic light sensor so I could bang off as many shots as I like, but it'll never happen...'.

And there's a nice 5-planker, directly above Walter's third boiler cladding seam, that looks as if it is in unpainted wood livery, probably a works internal user.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I think the DMU is more likely to be heading towards Grimsby (or Hull?) with a couple of empties, otherwise it's taken a rather circuitous route to get where it is. 

The clock is above the Plant "Works Managers" office (well it was when I worked in Doncaster telephone exchange 1978-1985).

2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

This is one of those photos where the longer you spend looking at it the more detail you can see.  The 15mph speed restriction through the single slip is a nice piece of detail, and there is a saloon or dynamometer car of Gresley style in the up bay.  The gas tanks are not far off the loading gauge height,  The Factory clock is showing 5 past one, and the chap on the platform who has a camera but hasn't considered that Walter is worthy of a shot is dressed very characteristically for the period.  Perhaps he's out of film and is thinking 'wouldn't it be wonderful if somebody invented some sort of electronic light sensor so I could bang off as many shots as I like, but it'll never happen...'.

And there's a nice 5-planker, directly above Walter's third boiler cladding seam, that looks as if it is in unpainted wood livery, probably a works internal user.

That 5-planker looks more like an all-steel; first full coach in from the right; what is it?

3 hours ago, The Johnster said:

hasn't considered that Walter is worthy of a shot

I think 60028 was a very common A4 down south so he's probably more likely to have shouted 'Scrap it!'

The loco is carrying a reversed headboard so it's possible that the photo was taken on a Sunday when the Elizabethan stock was used in normal trains and the headboard kept on the loco to save losing it. I don't know if the Elizabethan was still all Thompson stock after 1961 (the OHLE warnings on 60028 date it) but if it was, it could be the Flying Scotsman stock.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 62613 said:

That 5-planker looks more like an all-steel; first full coach in from the right; what is it?

We may be at cross purposes or I may have simply got it wrong.  There is an all-steel medfit with chain pockets coupled to the right of the gas cylinder wagon and between it and the 16ton mineral; the wagon I'm talking about is in the centre background.  If you follow to the right of the brand new 40, it is the next vehicle.  The coaches outside the works are, from the right, Mk1 BCK or possibly BFO in dirty crimson/cream, an ex works SLF ex-works (York?) but with B1 bogies which may help to date it as sleeping cars, along with catering vehicles, were the first to get Commonwealth Pattern bogies.  Next is another SLF, and another mk1 hidden by the 08, both in clean but not ex-works lined maroon livery.  I cannot identify the Gresley panelled coach or the vehicle to the left of it on the next road towards the camera.  

The haze or drizzle, which may be another reason our photographer on the platform didn't bother,  makes it difficult to identify coaches further back in Walter's train, but there are coaches which are not to the mk1 body profile in the centre of the train, probably Thompson catering vehicles, which may help to ID the set; you need Tony Wright for this!  Of course, identifying what A4 hauled major express passed at speed through Doncaster on the down main at five past one on a Sunday would do this as well, if you knew what you were talking about, which I don't.  It is a cracking shot, though!

6 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

The coaches outside the works are, from the right, Mk1 BCK or possibly BFO in dirty crimson/cream, an ex works SLF ex-works (York?) but with B1 bogies which may help to date it as sleeping cars, along with catering vehicles, were the first to get Commonwealth Pattern bogies.  Next is another SLF, and another mk1 hidden by the 08, both in clean but not ex-works lined maroon livery.  I cannot identify the Gresley panelled coach or the vehicle to the left of it on the next road towards the camera.  

It is a cracking shot, though!

Hi Johnster,

With regard SLF's fitted with B1 bogies the build dates are as follow:

1. 2000-2009, Wolverton, 1957/58 lot 30035
  2. 2010-2019, Wolverton, 1958 lot 30159
  3. 2020-2029, York 1958, lot 30318
  4. 2030-2063 ,York 1959, lot 30377
  5. 2064-2104, Metro Camm 1959, lot 30490

The first lot to be fitted with commonwealth bogies were 2105 & 2106, Wolverton 1959, lot 30528.

No offence to Hugh Longworth but I do read some boring books !

Class 40 D345 was delivered from Vulcan Foundry in May 1961 and was the first of the class to have a centrally placed head-code box. The class 40 in the picture really does look fresh out of the box.

What a Neddy-Gricer I really am !

Gibbo.

46 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

I cannot identify the Gresley panelled coach or the vehicle to the left of it on the next road towards the camera.  

That panelled coach is a BCK diagram 314. The saloon in the mid foreground looks like  43087 which became MacApline's saloon and is now on the NYMR

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Colin_McLeod said:

There would also be sleepers inside the sleeping car.

That depends on how much sleep they get.

From my (limited) experience they would 

be better named waking cars. :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, The Johnster said:

We may be at cross purposes or I may have simply got it wrong.  There is an all-steel medfit with chain pockets coupled to the right of the gas cylinder wagon and between it and the 16ton mineral; the wagon I'm talking about is in the centre background.

It is a high fit, LNER design as modelled in 4mm by Bachmann. Very common open merchandise wagon in 1961 as BR built thousands. 

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/bropenmerchandisesteel

I agree that the unpainted wood, steelwork painted open in the far background is interesting although I have photos of opens which appear not to have painted woodwork taken in the later 1970s. Perhaps it was a wagon used for collecting waste - rubbish. It was common to find such wagons at larger stations that occasionally worked to a local railway owned tip.  This is a nice example from nearby Selby which was written to work to Barlow Tip. https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/br5pldropside/e32334e3d

Paul

• Like 1

15 hours ago, balders said:

MK1 sleeper. Looks like first class branding on the right door. 

Regards

Guy

It was the way the light was shining on it that confused me; I thought the spaces between the windows wre the actual windows

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, hmrspaul said:

.... This is a nice example from nearby Selby which was written to work to Barlow Tip. https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/br5pldropside/e32334e3d

Paul

Yep, used to tip our rubbish into that on a daily basis during my time with the Selby S&T. 

Edited by iands
Typo
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I suspected the chain pocket steel Hyfit (not Medfit, those were 3 plankers) might be the type modelled by Bachmann; I have one of them, but nice to have it confirmed by no less than THE expert!

The other wagon, the 5 planker in the Factory yard with unpainted wood and what looks like painted steelwork but may be wet rust, looks as if it loaded with rubbish and I am sure it is a Works departmental for this purpose.  I ought to remember the one at Selby if it was there in '66 or 67, because my sister lived there and I spent Easter or Summer hollys trainspotting, including a good bit of time hanging around on Selby station, but I don't; I guess I hadn't completely shaken the lococentricity of my callow yoof.  

• Like 1