Prototype for everything corner.

8 hours ago, rab said:

That depends on how much sleep they get.

From my (limited) experience they would 

be better named waking cars. :)

The secret is to pay a quick visit to the buffet for a single malt nightcap (double preferably) before you turn in. And don't try and imagine where you are on the network. 

I awoke in the dark on a trip south from Glasgow to Euston many decades ago. The train was stationary, and I thought I could hear voices in the distance. I lay their trying to picture the scene at Preston or Crewe as station staff loaded/unloaded mailbags from the brake vehicle. I had built up a wonderfully vivid picture in my mind when suddenly a train shot by in the opposite direction doing close to 100mph (or so it seemed to me). 

Oh well, stuff that - back to sleep. 

• Like 2

If your pets discover your layout and really do not get on with each other, you could always buy an old tender drive Black 5 from Ebay and renumber it to 45401. 

Why? 

45401 was the first Black 5 to be withdrawn in November 1961, and this is why. 

45401_accident_warrington_1961.jpg.6177971b1a1709ab0322164093792d5a.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, rab said:

That depends on how much sleep they get.

From my (limited) experience they would 

be better named waking cars. :)

I sometimes had trouble sleeping when going from Truro to Paddington when going to Heathrow to join a ship, but no trouble at all when going in the other direction.

After handing over to my relief, then flying from the USA or Persian Gulf with a late afternoon arrival at Heathrow, then a taxi trip to Paddington. I normally got there around 7 pm and had a three hour wait until 10 pm to get on the sleeper. It was then straight to bed and sleep until the steward brought a cup of tea at St Austell to give me time to get dressed and get off at Truro.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

If your pets discover your layout and really do not get on with each other, you could always buy an old tender drive Black 5 from Ebay and renumber it to 45401. 

Why? 

Hi Jonnny,

The crane appears to be the Cowans Sheldon 36ton crane from Lostock Hall, formerly of Preston supplied to the LNWR in 1913.

Looking at the photograph, has the impact knocked the driving wheels form the axles or is it a feature of the camera angle ?

Gibbo.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Jonnny,

The crane appears to be the Cowans Sheldon 36ton crane from Lostock Hall, formerly of Preston supplied to the LNWR in 1913.

Looking at the photograph, has the impact knocked the driving wheels form the axles or is it a feature of the camera angle ?

Gibbo.

It does look like that's what's happened, that looks like the end of an axle just above the smoke box. In any case, it must have been quite an impressive blow to have knocked that buffer beam back like that.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, billbedford said:

That panelled coach is a BCK diagram 314. The saloon in the mid foreground looks like  43087 which became MacApline's saloon and is now on the NYMR

It moved to the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway last year, just don't ask me when exactly.

I don’t know the London-Penzance route, but I used the London-ABZ route over the years and always slept well. Then again, I’ve always believed in the beneficial effects of alcohol as a preparation for such trips (no D&A testing in those days).

I once made a trip from Cairo to Luxor by sleeper, my wife detested it and we’ve never repeated the experience. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jonny777 said:

Why? 

The collision happened at Warrington, Dallam shed, 28/8/61 and involved 5XP 5630. I think it was the latter coming off shed and the Five was working a train on the running line. One of them passed a signal at danger, and this was the result. Both locos were withdrawn.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, rodent279 said:

It does look like that's what's happened, that looks like the end of an axle just above the smoke box. In any case, it must have been quite an impressive blow to have knocked that buffer beam back like that.

Hi Rodent,

Never mind the buffer beam, the cylinders and motion brackets are most certainly missing !

Gibbo.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, rockershovel said:

I once made a trip from Cairo to Luxor by sleeper, my wife detested it and we’ve never repeated the experience. 

Done that twice. (from Giza station)

Third time (in reverse) I booked us onto a day train. Much nicer watching the countryside gently go by.

On 21/08/2020 at 16:56, Jack374 said:

Possibly a wagon repair trip? I saw this photo today and on second glance it’s actually quite a mash up...GBRf-operated working led by 66763, hauling a dead DB Maritime livery 66005 (these workings often used to transfer locos), then a DB red MXA 'Lobster' bogie box (ex-BDA chassis), YSA 'Salmon' bogie flat, then what appears to be a blue livery BDA. I’ve never seen the blue BDA before, very modellable I’d have thought...

66763 66005

(Flickr link)

Jack.

I have a vague recollection that the blue BDA is an internal user wagon. If so, it's escaping!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LMS2968 said:

The collision happened at Warrington, Dallam shed, 28/8/61 and involved 5XP 5630. I think it was the latter coming off shed and the Five was working a train on the running line. One of them passed a signal at danger, and this was the result. Both locos were withdrawn.

45401 was hauling a southbound freight from Liverpool past Warrington Dallam shed when it was in collision with Jubilee class 45630 Swaziland coming off the shed.

One person was killed, and six were injured, according to Railways Archive, which suggests there wasn't a public report; a little surprising these days when there's a fatality, but 1961 was a very different time (only 16 years since the end of WW2, when there were so many deaths...)

Edited by Mel_H

6 hours ago, Mel_H said:

45401 was hauling a southbound freight from Liverpool past Warrington Dallam shed when it was in collision with Jubilee class 45630 Swaziland coming off the shed.

One person was killed, and six were injured, according to Railways Archive, which suggests there wasn't a public report; a little surprising these days when there's a fatality, but 1961 was a very different time (only 16 years since the end of WW2, when there were so many deaths...)

I can't remember where I got this image, but it shows the two engines inside Dallam shed. Although the other side of the Five, the RH leading coupled wheel is seen to be in place.

dallam10.jpg

Edited by LMS2968
Poated in error
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

15 hours ago, jonny777 said:

The secret is to pay a quick visit to the buffet for a single malt nightcap (double preferably) before you turn in. And don't try and imagine where you are on the network. 

I awoke in the dark on a trip south from Glasgow to Euston many decades ago. The train was stationary, and I thought I could hear voices in the distance. I lay their trying to picture the scene at Preston or Crewe as station staff loaded/unloaded mailbags from the brake vehicle. I had built up a wonderfully vivid picture in my mind when suddenly a train shot by in the opposite direction doing close to 100mph (or so it seemed to me). 

Oh well, stuff that - back to sleep. 

Once went for an interview at Marylebone for a Student Sponsorship Position with BR.  Interview was at 10am so I got the overnight sleeper from Glasgow which was due in to Euston around 6am, so plenty of time for breakfast and a walk to the venue.  Woke up with the train stopping at a station about 5am and thought could be possibly Rugby - to my horror it was Preston!  The copper fairies had been out that night and caused major signalling problems between Carlisle and Preston so we were running about 4 hours late.  The train made up some time but it was still a sprint along Euston Road to make the interview on time, but I was ill prepared so I flunked it!

Jim

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

11 minutes ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Once went for an interview at Marylebone for a Student Sponsorship Position with BR.  Interview was at 10am so I got the overnight sleeper from Glasgow which was due in to Euston around 6am, so plenty of time for breakfast and a walk to the venue.  Woke up with the train stopping at a station about 5am and thought could be possibly Rugby - to my horror it was Preston!  The copper fairies had been out that night and caused major signalling problems between Carlisle and Preston so we were running about 4 hours late.  The train made up some time but it was still a sprint along Euston Road to make the interview on time, but I was ill prepared so I flunked it!

Jim

I went on one of those, but my interview was in York. 

I had no problem with timing, but in the interview they  subtly worked the discussion around to railway museums. I had been a few times to the fledgling NVR and gave them an enthusiastic personal run down of how the line to Wansford would be ideal, and the location was only an hour from London and much of the West Midlands, Peterborough was a growing city, etc. etc.

I noticed the interviewers looking at me with a stony silence, but it wasn't until a few days after I returned home that I read an article in Railway World about BR planning to construct a railway museum at York. 

I didn't get one of the sponsorships, but I often wonder what these senior BR employees thought of a 17 year old giving them a detailed appraisal of a rival venue for the NRM. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jonny777 said:

I went on one of those, but my interview was in York. 

I had no problem with timing, but in the interview they  subtly worked the discussion around to railway museums. I had been a few times to the fledgling NVR and gave them an enthusiastic personal run down of how the line to Wansford would be ideal, and the location was only an hour from London and much of the West Midlands, Peterborough was a growing city, etc. etc.

I noticed the interviewers looking at me with a stony silence, but it wasn't until a few days after I returned home that I read an article in Railway World about BR planning to construct a railway museum at York. 

I didn't get one of the sponsorships, but I often wonder what these senior BR employees thought of a 17 year old giving them a detailed appraisal of a rival venue for the NRM. 

Sadly around the time I was applying for jobs in the railways, that important question "Does your Father work for the Railway" still had a lot of weight behind it, and I had to honestly reply - no!

Jim

• Agree 2