Prototype for everything corner.

If you are not very good at loco renumbering, but would like a WR Brush type 4 on your layout, you ought to choose 'City Of Truro' in its first blue incarnation. 

(or is it just my eyes?)

2020-09-07-0010.jpg.cee6ac5c6c475f9f17de5d14d7de548c.jpg

• Like 10

21 hours ago, jonny777 said:

The secret is to pay a quick visit to the buffet for a single malt nightcap (double preferably) before you turn in. And don't try and imagine where you are on the network. 

I awoke in the dark on a trip south from Glasgow to Euston many decades ago. The train was stationary, and I thought I could hear voices in the distance. I lay their trying to picture the scene at Preston or Crewe as station staff loaded/unloaded mailbags from the brake vehicle. I had built up a wonderfully vivid picture in my mind when suddenly a train shot by in the opposite direction doing close to 100mph (or so it seemed to me). 

Oh well, stuff that - back to sleep. 

It's very deceptive in my experience.  I recall taking the sleeper from Euston to Glasgow.  We left Euston behind a class 83 and I was in the rearmost sleeping car with only vans behind.  We passed Rugby and I hadn't slept a wink and I thought this is going to be bad.  Next thing I remember was being aware of the train going slowly and negotiating point work.   Crewe maybe I thought. 

Nope.  Going across the Clyde bridge and the Glasgow Central approaches.  Not only that but when I got off the 83 had changed into an 86, the whole formation was reversed so I was near the front and all bar one of the vans had gone.  A subsequent enquiry revealed the 83 had come off at Preston and we'd gone via the S&C with a 47 which was in turn replaced by the 86 at Carlisle.  And I slept through all of it!

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Not sure if this is unusual but found this in my old slides, an inspection saloon attached to a 122 (or 121). No notes so no idea where or when except it was early 80's. Not one of my regular haunts from those days.

UPDATE - thanks to Western Aviator (see below) for the location:

"It’s just to the west of Slough station. The green signal on the left of the picture is for the Windsor bay."

251928583_Untitled(173).jpg.6851f9897b28de40003925b0fb49e600.jpg

Edited by ruggedpeak
new info
  • Like 12

This was mentioned in the Royal Train thread but worth posting here. A special short HST for the Queen's visit to Bath, Bristol and Weston-super-Mare on 8 August 1977.

GWR Special Royal HST 'Silver Jubilee' Tour 1977

And on a similar note, a different Royal Train carrying the Queen for the opening of electric services to Edinburgh on 28 June 1991.

91029_1X01_musselburgh_19910628

• Like 15

5 hours ago, ruggedpeak said:

More wonky numbers, 7 & 3 slightly bigger font than the rest.

Untitled (170).jpg

My Grandad used to do signwriting, by hand. Any letter or number with a curved top (or bottom) was always made marginally higher (or lower) to deceive the eye, so that the whole word/number appeared in line.

Stewart

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, ruggedpeak said:

Not sure if this is unusual but found this in my old slides, an inspection saloon attached to a 122 (or 121). No notes so no idea where or when except it was early 80's. Not one of my regular haunts from those days.

251928583_Untitled(173).jpg.6851f9897b28de40003925b0fb49e600.jpg

Looks Western Region to me, judging from the gantry in the distance. London area, perhaps?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, rodent279 said:

Looks Western Region to me, judging from the gantry in the distance. London area, perhaps?

It’s just to the west of Slough station. The green signal on the left of the picture is for the Windsor bay.

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Western Aviator said:

It’s just to the west of Slough station. The green signal on the left of the picture is for the Windsor bay.

That makes sense. I used to radiate out from Reading in various directions.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DY444 said:

It's very deceptive in my experience.  I recall taking the sleeper from Euston to Glasgow.  We left Euston behind a class 83 and I was in the rearmost sleeping car with only vans behind.  We passed Rugby and I hadn't slept a wink and I thought this is going to be bad.  Next thing I remember was being aware of the train going slowly and negotiating point work.   Crewe maybe I thought. 

Nope.  Going across the Clyde bridge and the Glasgow Central approaches.  Not only that but when I got off the 83 had changed into an 86, the whole formation was reversed so I was near the front and all bar one of the vans had gone.  A subsequent enquiry revealed the 83 had come off at Preston and we'd gone via the S&C with a 47 which was in turn replaced by the 86 at Carlisle.  And I slept through all of it!

OTOH there are the tales of sleeper passengers who woke after a great sleep and remarked how smooth the ride had been, only to discover that their Glasgow-Euston train was still at Carstairs due to wires down or other catastrophe !

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Persumably 'S' on the signals stands for 'Slough'.

It does.  And the train in question is right in front of Slough PSB which is largely hidden by the bridge.

Edited by DY444
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, ruggedpeak said:

Just stick the 31 in the Staff Car Park.....Skipton Station in the 80's

Untitled_(177).jpg.78f3972c5c9f969d990089e4d74b1c56.jpg

What a fantastic array of classic traction.....

......& a 31 !!

cheers,

Phil.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, DavidB-AU said:

This was mentioned in the Royal Train thread but worth posting here. A special short HST for the Queen's visit to Bath, Bristol and Weston-super-Mare on 8 August 1977.

That HST photo appeared on the front cover of a Railway Magazine at the time.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, DavidB-AU said:

Has it been rather inexpertly renumbered for the occasion, with the real 253025 (presumably 43050/43051) being unavailable, a bit like 4082 Windsor Castle happening to be in Swindon Works when King George VI died, so 7013 Bristol Castle masqueraded instead on the funeral train.

What?!! I hear you say. HSTs were new in 1977 so how could there be one already dedicated to royal train duties? Well, 1977 was the Queen's Silver Jubilee, so 25 was something of a "royal number" that year. I wouldn't have been surprised if they'd painted the thing in silver,

Shame they couldn't find any matching yellow paint, though, don't you think?

Edited by Jeremy C
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Jeremy C said:

Has it been rather inexpertly renumbered for the occasion

Looks like they've removed the coupling hatch door from 025 and put it on the power car used.

Then only realised when it was done that the hatch looked kind of scabby compared to the freshly-painted yellow, with no time to sort it!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Western Aviator said:

Good guess on my part then! I did wonder what box the S might refer to. Slough didn't occur to me, first place I thought of was Swansea!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 05/09/2020 at 09:19, dana said:

found on the internet and email through flicker notification 

Phil Parker's Spotted & photographed telephone Coffee shop

https://www.flickr.com/photos/45131642@N00/50219822067/in/album-72157675298195078/

phone box book exchange

https://009adventure.blog/2020/07/08/model-it-telephone-box-library/

And for someone with an up to date Welsh layout, this box at Cwmsychbant on A475 near Lampeter

rev Phone Box Cwmsychbant on A475 10Sep20.jpg

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

And for someone with an up to date Welsh layout, this box at Cwmsychbant on A475 near Lampeter

rev Phone Box Cwmsychbant on A475 10Sep20.jpg

So that's what "telephone" is in welsh!

Kev.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 9