Prototype for everything corner.

9 minutes ago, Derekstuart said:

All I can say is to reiterate my experience. When I expressed an interest in a railway career, my Dad's line management actively encouraged my Dad to let me visit at the weekends, school holidays etc. I knew the controls of a Brush 4 before I knew how to ride a bike. Yes really.

Maybe the type of job being applied for made a difference, and of course the local (un)employment situation. I and my friend joined BR as Trainee Clerical Officers near London, perhaps no-one else wanted the job ! 

4 minutes ago, caradoc said:

Maybe the type of job being applied for made a difference, and of course the local (un)employment situation. I and my friend joined BR as Trainee Clerical Officers near London, perhaps no-one else wanted the job ! 

Maybe- and I'm only speculating here- those in the operational departments (drivers, guards etc) were career railwaymen, whereas in clerical positions they were just as likely to come from an accounting background as railways.

I'm not suggesting that having your Dad working for BR was enough to get you the job, but it did mean you could get help and advice to prepare for the interview and if those doing the interview already knew you and you could show a track record of relevant interest- ie learning about the operation, rules etc... rather than 'train spotting' then that would be something to put on your CV. ANYTHING that is relevant to a job will help at an interview.

Anyway, we're drifting off topic. My prototype for everything would be a disgruntled me walking away from Kings Cross in 1993 and deciding to go into bus and coach instead. Incredibly, apart from helping my Dad empty his office, I've never been back.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jonny777 said:

I may have posted these before, but if you have a weathered WD but love the idea of a Hornby 71 in mint condition - just model the GC in the late 50s/early 60s era. These are screen grabs from a video of a grimy 2-8-0 hauling a brand new SR electric through Nottingham Victoria. The number appears to be E5021 which would date the footage to around July 1960. 

1632627874_Screenshot2020-10-28at10_30_23.png.f8e3f2fc13fa44386222e0211cbe727f.png

87705011_Screenshot2020-10-28at10_30_38.png.83335b068b278a00d143b158d46cc91c.png

By the time it got to it's destination, that 'HA' would be nicely weathered...

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, jonny777 said:

I may have posted these before, but if you have a weathered WD but love the idea of a Hornby 71 in mint condition - just model the GC in the late 50s/early 60s era. These are screen grabs from a video of a grimy 2-8-0 hauling a brand new SR electric through Nottingham Victoria. The number appears to be E5021 which would date the footage to around July 1960. 

1632627874_Screenshot2020-10-28at10_30_23.png.f8e3f2fc13fa44386222e0211cbe727f.png

87705011_Screenshot2020-10-28at10_30_38.png.83335b068b278a00d143b158d46cc91c.png

I wonder if any of the Doncaster built 85's or 86's were delivered via the GC? (London extension, not Woodhead).

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Folks,

Here is a rather bent class 40:

https://www.railexpress.co.uk/1663/class-40-mystery-solved/

Gibbo.

Thanks for the link which provides a bit more detail regarding the accident. I bought a copy of that photo off ebay a while ago. Interesting how the nose/cab was pushed upwards rather than just inwards. 

16 hours ago, rodent279 said:

I wonder if any of the Doncaster built 85's or 86's were delivered via the GC? (London extension, not Woodhead).

I doubt the 85s were because the WCML was only wired up as far as Crewe when they were built. I don't know about the 86s, but by then the GC was being cut back prior to closure. 

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, rodent279 said:

Before the southward electrification was complete there was an awful lot of electrics concentrated oop north.

I remember a journey from Manchester to Birmingham where there were two AC electrics on as far as Crewe (where the wires currently reached), with a moderately sized train. It absolutely flew!

When we got to Crewe a Black 5 took over and it seemed positively pedestrian in comparison.

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

I doubt the 85s were because the WCML was only wired up as far as Crewe when they were built. I don't know about the 86s, but by then the GC was being cut back prior to closure. 

Good point, I hadn't thought of that!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

They've nicked more than the wheels - an' it's a bit further north ........ though some people might think the place is down under !

114.20.jpg

Is this the prototype "Hovertrain"?:scratchhead:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1