Prototype for everything corner.

On 10/11/2020 at 21:08, 37114 said:

37292 was the one updated to 2000HP, it is still running today as 37425 albeit back at 1,750. Like other attempts to increase or reduce horse power there was always a trade off with wear and tear on the engine and the gains weren't worth the additional maintenance costs.

The correct horse power setting for the refurbished 37s is 1800hp not 1750hp.   37292 was quite a noisy machine remember it turning up at BG on before working back north with 6S68. 

On 13/11/2020 at 09:33, melmerby said:

Got too many locos?

Just "furlough" them:

Hi Keith,

Look on the bright side, while all the spotters are off work due to deferred unemployment (furlough) they can get all those numbers scratched in !!!

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Chocolate & Spilt Milk or Plum & Cream ??? .......... Western, yes - but Great or North ??!?

139.10.jpg

IIRC that's been on before.

The "GWR" livery is stuck onto an ex LNWR coach.

It was done for a film.

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

38 minutes ago, melmerby said:

IIRC that's been on before.

The "GWR" livery is stuck onto an ex LNWR coach.

It was done for a film.

Well, vice-versa actually ..... and there was an LMS one too .................................. at the old Marylebone !

139.11.jpg

Can anyone give an exact identity for these ?

Edited by Wickham Green too
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

"The classic LNWR livery is often referred to as 'plum and spilt milk' ..." according to David Jenkinson in his LNWR Carriages History ..... otherwise he refers to the upper panels as 'off white'.

( The exact colour probably depends what the milk was spilt onto ......... but that's splitting hairs.

An historic controversy: spilt milk or split milk?

13 hours ago, Western Aviator said:

So, you have a single Mk3 coach and you don’t know what to do with it. Stick it in a rake of Mk1 and 2 coaches and hope nobody will notice....

Evening at Dawlish

Photo by Stephen Dance on Flickr

Thanks for posting this photo, it reminded me of one I took at Stirling in 1985.

47523 leaves the station with an array of different coaching stock; and if you only have a couple each of Mk1s, Mk2a, Mk2d, Mk3,

1294664695_10083947523STIR31785.jpg.d299eeed6bff0ab86d3d65396681ee44.jpg 

just lash them together and run your service anyway. 

Edited by jonny777
line feeds
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

That's probably the 'Clansman' (Euston-Inverness), well known for its mix of stock.

Another pic, courtesy of Eastbank MRC:

http://www.eastbank.org.uk/images/Coaches/UK4029.jpg

"47593 leads a Mk.1 BG, Mk.2f TSO, Mk.2f TSO, Mk.2c TSO, Mk.1 RU(B), Mk.3 FO, Mk.2a TSO and a Mk.2f TSO passing Faskally, just north of Pitlochry."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Well, vice-versa actually ..... and there was an LMS one too .................................. at the old Marylebone !

139.11.jpg

Can anyone give an exact identity for these ?

It was IIRC a right mish-mash

Wasn't the firstcoach a Hawksworth brake with LNWR style vinyls but lettered GWR?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

........to get back on subject, split milk has just a hint of blue.

Putting a small amount of blue in "white" paint was a regular painter's trick before the advent of Brilliant White. It was supposed to make it look more white in daylight, just like using Reckitt's Blue in the wash to get whiter whites. 

40 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Putting a small amount of blue in "white" paint was a regular painter's trick before the advent of Brilliant White. It was supposed to make it look more white in daylight, just like using Reckitt's Blue in the wash to get whiter whites. 

Hi There,

The weird thing about all of this milk coloured paint is that brilliant white paint is made using titanium dioxide, titanium dioxide is also put into skimmed milk so that it looks white instead of unpalatable, which of course it is !!!

Full cream unpasteurised for me.

Gibbo. 

My problem with plum and spilt milk is that neither colours appear to be relevant to the description in real life. 

Looking at the NRM restored livery, the 'plum' looks quite brown and I most UK plums tend to have a more red hue (or at least mine do - they are much lighter, even the Victoria's).  I don't know what spilt or split milk looks like, but their version seems to be cream to me. 

I know I am committing heresy, but brown and pale cream seems more appropriate. 

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, jonny777 said:

My problem with plum and spilt milk is that neither colours appear to be relevant to the description in real life. 

Looking at the NRM restored livery, the 'plum' looks quite brown and I most UK plums tend to have a more red hue (or at least mine do - they are much lighter, even the Victoria's).  I don't know what spilt or split milk looks like, but their version seems to be cream to me. 

I know I am committing heresy, but brown and pale cream seems more appropriate. 

It's a long time since I last saw the NRM coaches. But I think that the true colour should be close to black with a slight bluish tinge to it. Can't remember which variety of plum that is.