Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

I don't know what spilt or split milk looks like, but their version seems to be cream to me. 

Surely spilt milk is just milk that has been spilled?

Split milk would be the solids split from the whey and would be creamier than ordinary milk.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

It's a long time since I last saw the NRM coaches. But I think that the true colour should be close to black with a slight bluish tinge to it. Can't remember which variety of plum that is.

This is what some soul thought they should look like

(Picture from Warwickshire Railways)

lnwrbns_str4306-2.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Surely spilt milk is just milk that has been spilled?

Split milk would be the solids split from the whey and would be creamier than ordinary milk.

Well probably, but I imagine the milk they had 100 years ago was a different colour to these days. I remember my grandma eating butter she bought from a farming relative in the 1950s and it was a bright rich yellow, not the pale colour of today. 

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

Well probably, but I imagine the milk they had 100 years ago was a different colour to these days. I remember my grandma eating butter she bought from a farming relative in the 1950s and it was a bright rich yellow, not the pale colour of today. 

Dairy Cows these days (usually Holstein- Friesians) have been bred for quantity not quality.

• Agree 2

45 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Dairy Cows these days (usually Holstein- Friesians) have been bred for quantity not quality.

As have most animals, which is why they are virtually tasteless. 

I gather that certain supermarkets add chemicals to their meat which were originally only preservatives, but now include flavours. 

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Putting a small amount of blue in "white" paint was a regular painter's trick before the advent of Brilliant White. It was supposed to make it look more white in daylight, just like using Reckitt's Blue in the wash to get whiter whites. 

I work in the pakaging industry, and when Castrol GTX moved from (5 litre) tins to plastic, the colour was blue-white, a very pale blue which was TiO2 with a hint of blue. Several years later when producing 20 litre drums for the water treatment industry the same pigment was used, but the containers were referred to as white, because that is what they appeared to be.

Just goes to show that colours don't scale...........

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Davexoc said:

I work in the pakaging industry, and when Castrol GTX moved from (5 litre) tins to plastic, the colour was blue-white, a very pale blue which was TiO2 with a hint of blue. Several years later when producing 20 litre drums for the water treatment industry the same pigment was used, but the containers were referred to as white, because that is what they appeared to be.

Just goes to show that colours don't scale...........

Had a similar problem when I worked with the company that built Hyster and Yale Forklift Trucks, the "Yale Gold" was applied as a powder paint coating to fabricated parts, a wet spray to cast parts (the counterweight) and there were also plastic covers that were pre-coloured plastic.  Every part was given spectrophotometer checks at the point of application to ensure that the shade was accurately checked against a master sample, yet when the truck was assembled and there was a point on the side of the truck where the three materials came together the colour looked as if it failed to match.  The issue was that the assembly check was done in part of the building lit by sodium lights and when the truck was driven outside into natural light the discrepancy was much less marked.

jim

The other point to bear in mind is that the railways of the Victorian and Edwardian period used several layers of varnish to protect the paintwork, and that would have tended to alter the perceived colour of the paint. In other words, what the viewer saw was not the paint colour as mixed but the paint covered by whatever composition of varnish the particular railway (or workshop or painter) used.

Tom Rolt explains in one of his books (possibly "Landscape with Machines") what the paint shop at Kerr, Stuart was doing when he was an apprentice in the late 1920s: to modern eyes, an extraordinary number of layers of paint and varnish on a "quality" job. That is obviously a locomotive builder, but it gives some idea of how paintwork was a applied then.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Slightly OT, vintage guitars ('60s Fenders particularly) can often change colour slightly. There is t the base colour which then had coats of clear lacquer applied over it.

Over the years, the lacquer discolours to a yellow tint of varying degrees (esp. considering the smoky nature of music venues) hence Olympic white guitars look anything from cream to mucky yellow and Ice Blue looks pale green.

FB_IMG_1605527842073.jpg.fdc1e152a4258a4c194e87e90930a6bc.jpg

Edited by keefer
Add photo
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, luckymucklebackit said:

sod it - link does not work as it is a private group, I will see if I can get a copy of the vid

Jim

That's the idea of "private" websites

It's so the innocent don't accidentally stumble on something that might offend them such as non-GWR railway subjects.:jester:

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Too many half brakes?  How about this formation, looks like BFK/TSO/BSK/TSO/BSK, Hope the Facebook link works

sod it - link does not work as it is a private group, I will see if I can get a copy of the vid

Jim

It's not a Cardiff to Portsmouth in the Mk1 era is it? They were often made up like that due to the variations in platform lengths on the route.  Dilton Marsh Halt was/is particularly short.