Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

P4?  EM?, nope, here is (as near as dammit) genuine correct Prototype 00 gauge track.  Glasgow Subway surface Depot at Govan, with new stock on test.FB_IMG_1606591923441.jpg.032b436427bc52f248400be01fb08b32.jpg

Jim

An under-reported and often overlooked railway. Only been on it twice, once when virtually new, the 2nd time about 3 years ago.

Edited by rodent279
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, rodent279 said:

An under-reported and often overlooked railway. Only been on it twice, once when virtually new, the 2nd time about 3 years ago.

That would make you at least 125 years old.;)

(It was new in 1896!)

• Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, melmerby said:

That would make you at least 125 years old.;)

(It was new in 1896!)

Ha! Yes, I see what you mean. I think I may have been on it once just before it closed for rebuilding, but not positive. If so, I'd have been about 7.

Have you bought a 'Hall' on Ebay, described as "suitable for spares", but wish to plonk it on your layout with some ex-LNER coaching stock?

Well, you could get away with it if you model Lutterworth in 1961.  6902 'Butlers Hall' was involved in an accident on the GC and the loco was dumped at the station until its appointment with the scrap man. 

2020-12-02-0012.jpg.d85c6888018fe76ae37898f57e2b9845.jpg 

• Like 13

2 hours ago, jonny777 said:

Have you bought a 'Hall' on Ebay, described as "suitable for spares", but wish to plonk it on your layout with some ex-LNER coaching stock?

Well, you could get away with it if you model Lutterworth in 1961.  6902 'Butlers Hall' was involved in an accident on the GC and the loco was dumped at the station until its appointment with the scrap man. 

2020-12-02-0012.jpg.d85c6888018fe76ae37898f57e2b9845.jpg 

Could the carriage experts comment on the Gresley with a British Standard gangway, please?

Edited by 50A55B
Punctuation

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 50A55B said:

Could the carriage experts comment on the Gresley with a British Standard gangway, please?

Possibly one of the pair of diagram 114 BTKs (BSK by that date) that were built with BS gangways for the North Eastern Area to work with LMS stock. Various other Gresley coach diagrams were similarly equipped for the same reason. Easier than using the adaptors that would otherwise be necessary.

Simon

Edited by 65179
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 50A55B said:

I'm no Expert but looking in Michael Harris book on LNER carriages, there are some batches with BS gangways

e.g. some Brake First and Brake Thirds from around 1938 as well as some Thirds and compos

Dias 149,296,297,298

Edited by melmerby
  • Thanks 1

On 24/11/2020 at 19:55, montyburns56 said:

13 003 at Broughton Lane 1978

13 003 broughton lane 1978

On 24/11/2020 at 21:30, Michael Edge said:

I was on that train, special run to Tinsley so that we could be pulled by the class 13. That was my last trip over the Woodhead line.

Me too :)

Very pedestrian progress between Tinsley Yard and Rotherwood. IIRC, the lost time on that leg denied us that advertised visit to Man Picc, the train stopping short at Guide Bridge for the loco change to two Class 40s and onward to York.

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 27/11/2020 at 23:25, melmerby said:

If you have a US based layout, see the first few minutes of this for something different:

(no not the the trains!)

I've been watching some US railcams recently, Flagstaff, AZ & Lake Shore East, PA to name 2. I'm impressed by the sheer length of some of the trains-one rumbled past at I'd estimate 40mph, and took a full 4m 20s to pass by, making it in the region of 2 miles long.

Which got me to wondering-how do they marshall these long trains? How do they know which wagon is which? How do they break out a wagon or two for onward dispatch elsewhere? If there is such a thing as a guard, he/she has a heck of a long way to walk to inform the driver of the train consist! One of those trains by my reckoning will stretch from about Willesden TMD most of the way to Wembley Central!

Usualy there is a crew of three with one person who looks after the consist ,checks if a brake gets stuck or a wagon needs other attention.As for switchting a wagon this can be done and the wagons will usualy be marshalled at the rear .Most frieghts are not shunted until they arrive in the yard with switching locos doing the work.Some yards still have humps which speed up switching and a train can be assembled quite quickly.If you have a look at the all you will see which ones you like I regularily watch them all the locos are fantastic.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, rodent279 said:

I've been watching some US railcams recently, Flagstaff, AZ & Lake Shore East, PA to name 2. I'm impressed by the sheer length of some of the trains-one rumbled past at I'd estimate 40mph, and took a full 4m 20s to pass by, making it in the region of 2 miles long.

Which got me to wondering-how do they marshall these long trains? How do they know which wagon is which? How do they break out a wagon or two for onward dispatch elsewhere? If there is such a thing as a guard, he/she has a heck of a long way to walk to inform the driver of the train consist! One of those trains by my reckoning will stretch from about Willesden TMD most of the way to Wembley Central!

Trains in the US are approaching 3 miles maximum on some routes, they can get away with such a huge train with radio controlled DPUs (distributed power units)

Some of the marshalling yards are really impressive

Conway classification yard (Norfolk Southern - Formerly Pennsylvania RR)

https://goo.gl/maps/yGTGb7pUDXifJLhu6

EDIT

A yard with a camera is Belen NM (BNSF - ex Santa Fe)

Google view, the VRF camera is at the Harvey House:

https://goo.gl/maps/QD699yGYVrdvrbqr8

Edited by melmerby
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 02/12/2020 at 23:21, 65179 said:

Possibly one of the pair of diagram 114 BTKs (BSK by that date) that were built with BS gangways for the North Eastern Area to work with LMS stock. Various other Gresley coach diagrams were similarly equipped for the same reason. Easier than using the adaptors that would otherwise be necessary.

Simon

The Southern did some early high-window Maunsells that were intended for inter-company services with BS gangways with Pullman adaptors, BTKs with BS gangways at the Brake end, and BCKs with BS gangways at both ends.

Edited by talisman56
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, talisman56 said:

The Southern did some early high-window Maunsells that were intended for inter-company services with BS gangways with Pullman adaptors, BTKs with BS gangways at the Brake end, and BCKs with BS gangways at both ends.

There were also some Pullman cars with BS gangways.

There was probably more BS fitted stock from the two "Pullman Gangway" companies (LNER/Southern) than we realise.

The coaches had to be interoperable on cross country routes where trains were chopped and changed as vehicles were added or removed along the way.

Having sufficient adaptors alone might prove a problem.

I have a book with a 1930s colour photo of a train at Oxford with King Arthur 742 and a train of SR & GW stock, nicely mixed up.

The first coach is an 8 compartment from the Southern, then a GW brake something, followed by two more different Southern coaches, then 5 GW and (possibly two) more SR on the end.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

How did some small diesel shunters travel to/from works visits? Many were attached to loose coupled freight trains, but others must have moved like this example on the S&C behind a Black 5 (thanks to LMS2968 for the correction).

787983095_48xxxd2xxxsc1966.jpg.c510d3b543d72393a1c0078929642cc0.jpg

I have zoomed in on the detail, but am still not entirely sure which class of shunter that is. 

744708345_Copyof48xxxd2xxxsc1966.jpg.d7472aeec5a4be3537b45376952af6d3.jpg

Edited by jonny777
Wrong class of loco
  • Like 10

18 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

How did some small diesel shunters travel to/from works visits? Many were attached to loose coupled freight trains, but others must have moved like this example on the S&C behind an 8F.

787983095_48xxxd2xxxsc1966.jpg.c510d3b543d72393a1c0078929642cc0.jpg

I have zoomed in on the detail, but am still not entirely sure which class of shunter that is. 

744708345_Copyof48xxxd2xxxsc1966.jpg.d7472aeec5a4be3537b45376952af6d3.jpg

The box on the footplate makes me think it's one of the YEC 0-4-0s (Class 02?) that were found mainly around Liverpool.

31 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

The box on the footplate makes me think it's one of the YEC 0-4-0s (Class 02?) that were found mainly around Liverpool.

Not sure its an 02, bonnet ends seem a bit wide, possibly a North British design?

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, rodent279 said:

I'm no expert on shunters, but I'm inclined to agree that it's an NBL design.

How spooky, just leafing through my Dads Xmas present (first generation Scottish diesels in colour) p92 has a pic of D2755 a NB 040 DH, pretty sure its one of them in the above pic. Seem to have been withdrawn mostly in 67 & 68 so would assume its trip on the S&C is for scrap