Prototype for everything corner.

35 minutes ago, melmerby said:

How do you fix a bullhead check rail, with it's associated chair, to a flatbottom running rail?

Does that actually mean that running rail is another bullhead?

If I remember rightly, the bullhead, being shallower than the flatbottom was effectively sitting on the bottom flange of the latter - with special chair--baseplates. Obviously you can't do that with a second flatbottom as the flangeway would be to wide.

The Service with Unit1006 & 1005's Power Cars was the 10.35 from Hastings to Charing Cross - so 1006, at least, was in passenger use.

Yes, Bopeep Junction was named after a local hostelry .... I don't know whether it's still there.

The Long Thin Drag ran on 12th April using units 1011 & 1032 with the Power Cars of 1001 ...... it achieved the most northerly and highest points ever reached by Hastings Units : Carlisle and Ais Gill respectively. ( It was NOT named after a scrawny transvestite.)

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Unit 1006 was among those stored from 26th April 1986 - exactly a week after these photos - and 1005 was among those which joined it in withdrawal the next day .......... though some of the motor coaches were retained in working order for a little longer.

Incidentally - did anyone spot the odd track ? - Flat bottom running rail but bullhead check rail ! : -

159.21.jpg

I thought this arrangement used to be reasonably common. Bullhead rail was in plentiful supply, it was easier to bend and would fit inside the FB rail section. It needs special baseplate/chairs, of course.

Mixed chaired and flat bottom running rails would be exceptionally unusual, I would have thought. Usually when you replace rails you replace everything else. Although a single broken rail might be replaced, I cannot imagine it not being replaced with the same type of rail.

However, after doing a web search, I have found this, at Baker Street on the Bakerloo line. Here, of course, there are no sleepers to replace: https://hydeparknow.uk/2019/01/24/rare-mixed-track-at-baker-street/

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Jeremy C said:

I thought this arrangement used to be reasonably common. Bullhead rail was in plentiful supply, it was easier to bend and would fit inside the FB rail section. It needs special baseplate/chairs, of course.

Mixed chaired and flat bottom running rails would be exceptionally unusual, I would have thought. Usually when you replace rails you replace everything else. Although a single broken rail might be replaced, I cannot imagine it not being replaced with the same type of rail.

However, after doing a web search, I have found this, at Baker Street on the Bakerloo line. Here, of course, there are no sleepers to replace: https://hydeparknow.uk/2019/01/24/rare-mixed-track-at-baker-street/

Interesting, thanks for digging that up. Don't think I've ever seen a mixed rail arrangement. My only question is would the rail heights be the same, as BH is slightly smaller in profile than FB.

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, rodent279 said:

Interesting, thanks for digging that up. Don't think I've ever seen a mixed rail arrangement. My only question is would the rail heights be the same, as BH is slightly smaller in profile than FB.

Doesn't the bullhead chair hold the rail higher above the sleeper?

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, rodent279 said:

With the restricted headroom available on the Tube lines, I'd guess LU have FB rail rolled to suit ...... though, as melmerby points out there could be a difference in chair/baseplate thickness in the equation too.

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

With the restricted headroom available on the Tube lines, I'd guess LU have FB rail rolled to suit ...... though, as melmerby points out there could be a difference in chair/baseplate thickness in the equation too.

Code 55 instead of code 80 (in N terms)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, BR(S) said:

Run out of transfers for your loco numbers?  Just scribble it on, doesn't even have to be neat:

47600 Fishguard Harbour 30.07.84.

Would you trust that if a spotter and that was all you could see?

On a visit to Crewe works many years ago there were a number of equipment cubicles with different class 47 numbers on them, yet none of the actual locos was on the works.

Edited by brushman47544
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

3 hours ago, BR(S) said:

Run out of transfers for your loco numbers?  Just scribble it on, doesn't even have to be neat:

47600 Fishguard Harbour 30.07.84.

ΛΛ

Some of my track is like that.

At least it's prototypical:good:

Edited by melmerby
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, Steven B said:

"Dave, we've got these random coaches left in the stock box. Do you want me to put together another train using them?"

"Nah, nothing like that ever ran on the real thing"

8318796084_ffeef1b358_w.jpg

Crewe coaching stock. by Matt Taylor, on Flickr

8318796208_1deb8c882e_w.jpg

BR Blue loco

Royal Mail BG

Intercity Executive GUV

Scotrail Mk3 CO

Regional Railways Mk2 TSO

Scotrail Mk3 TSO

Intercity Swallow DVT

Five (or six) liveries in a seven vehicle train. Can anyone do better?

you even don't need to have the DVT the correct way round 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

14 hours ago, melmerby said:

ΛΛ

Some of my track is like that.

At least it's prototypical:good:

You think that's bad track???

Try this....

000043766016.Jpeg.adaf204143f4cb0e7c94df755ad3674b.Jpeg

Prototype for everything....

:blum:  :locomotive:

• Like 10

19 hours ago, Steven B said:

"Dave, we've got these random coaches left in the stock box. Do you want me to put together another train using them?"

"Nah, nothing like that ever ran on the real thing"

8318796084_ffeef1b358_w.jpg

8318796208_1deb8c882e_w.jpg

BR Blue loco

Royal Mail BG

Intercity Executive GUV

Scotrail Mk3 CO

Regional Railways Mk2 TSO

Scotrail Mk3 TSO

Intercity Swallow DVT

Five (or six) liveries in a seven vehicle train. Can anyone do better?

13 hours ago, ajwffc said:

you even don't need to have the DVT the correct way round 

Looking at the second picture, there appears to be another red BG behind the DVT

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Steven B said:

It can be surprisingly hard to derail a train:

Makes you think that with typically larger than scale flanges and wheel tread we really shouldn't be suffering from derailments with our models.

Steven B

Probably something to do with the fact that while our flanges are larger than scale, the weight of our models is proportionally a lot less.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Have you ever wished you could run a crazy liveried locomotive on a 1950s steam layout without being subjected to judgmental finger wagging? 

You might try one of these specials - 

2020-12-17-0011.jpg.36ff33d2ff5ba4ff946c22a69892f533.jpg

• Like 12