Prototype for everything corner.

22 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

When you are 1 window frame short of completing your latest building, but have some spare etched BR Mk.2 coach windows lying around...:mocking_mini:

FB_IMG_1609150560518.jpg.ab41a95afff45008148dd5c026cc5cb0.jpg

(Photo from Rutland Auction House Facebook page.)

This has reminded me of an incident from my youth.

I grew up on the Dee estuary in North Wales, and some of the LMS lines to the west of Holywell Junction were used for stock storage  in the offpeak season. My dad was a retained fireman and  was called out to a major blaze  at one of the stored rakes of coaches. The pic reminded me that there were a few   greenhouses and cold-frames with those windows and a maroon paint finish on our estate after that!   :-)

Edited by Theo C. Cupier
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, lmsforever said:

First time I have seen those doors open since the class arrived interesting shot.

Probably the last time they were opened as well. I am led to believe D5705 is the only surviving loco to actually retain the gang way bellows albeit loads of locos retain the doors.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 18/12/2020 at 12:58, JDW said:

Not sure where else to put it, this thread seems as good as any. The title ("Saving..."), and the way they handle it don't seem to match... Can't help but think if this had been one of the UK heavy haulage firms, they'd have just lined a trailer up with the track it's on and winched it on board with some bridging track.

An update on this.

The loco has now arrived at it's destination, this is the follow up video:

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

There is also this video of it moving across the main lines on the dollys.

It also shows all the bolt holes visible where the fairings at either end of the loco have been removed, not simply gas-axed off by cowboys as some people have implied. It should also be clear why they were removed.

Edited by simon b
  • Informative/Useful 1

Having seen signs like this before on other weak bridges, the 3t MGW most likely relates to the disused span of the bridge that is use as an access track for road vehicles.  The rail span is likely to be in far better condition and maintained for adequate rail axel loading.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 01/01/2021 at 12:13, simon b said:

Not to far away is this setrack point and 3rd radius curve.

I tend to find a lot of American railroad practise doesn't really float my boat (vast freight trains crawling through the middle of nowhere and so on), but I really love these sorts of shortlines, especially slightly mad ones like this with public street running, tight curves, all the sorts of things our railways here in the UK have long since disposed of.  It seems odd (but quite pleasing) that in the land of the truck and the automobile, you can still find winding industrial branch lines that use maybe one or two dedicated, ex-mainline locomotives in private liveries, trundling up and down residential streets or overgrown tracks once a week with revenue-earning freights.  And if you modelled that as a UK scene, you'd have people pointing out how wrong you were for using anything bigger than an 03/04/08 on the tight curves of that line!  Just look at the size of those monsters, not to mention the bulk wagons.  Thanks for sharing this, I always find this location entertaining :)

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ben B said:

I tend to find a lot of American railroad practise doesn't really float my boat (vast freight trains crawling through the middle of nowhere and so on), but I really love these sorts of shortlines, especially slightly mad ones like this with public street running, tight curves, all the sorts of things our railways here in the UK have long since disposed of.  It seems odd (but quite pleasing) that in the land of the truck and the automobile, you can still find winding industrial branch lines that use maybe one or two dedicated, ex-mainline locomotives in private liveries, trundling up and down residential streets or overgrown tracks once a week with revenue-earning freights.  And if you modelled that as a UK scene, you'd have people pointing out how wrong you were for using anything bigger than an 03/04/08 on the tight curves of that line!  Just look at the size of those monsters, not to mention the bulk wagons.  Thanks for sharing this, I always find this location entertaining :)

I agree, chasing 2 mile freights has no interest for me but things like this I find fascinating. The whole Utica sub division is full of interest, but the brewery with street running ticks all the boxes.

For those that haven't seen them here's a couple more vids that show just how tight that curve is, they even have trouble coupling the cars because of it. I've not seen proof, but I'm told an SD40 has been in there.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Is that Warrington Bank Quay? I presume that's because the railway lines have supports added whereas the road section probably doesn't.

Certainly is WBQ, I've got to build that in OO at some point soon.

The that span is the old Crosfield siding, it's a different span as far as I can tell and no longer used as far as I know. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ben B said:

I tend to find a lot of American railroad practise doesn't really float my boat (vast freight trains crawling through the middle of nowhere and so on) ...

Crawling?? I certainly found that standing by Union Pacific’s Sunset Route in Arizona as trains of double stacks passed at track speed (65mph, I believe) got my attention!

Having said that, everyone to his own!

• Like 1