Prototype for everything corner.

1 hour ago, jonny777 said:

I am adding this image because I was not aware that 27s and push-pull sets worked across the Forth Bridge, but this appears to show otherwise. 

D5400 (I think) just south of Dalmeny. 

2021-01-15-0010.jpg.726982d14d063cc72e7b93d0d928c14e.jpg

There is a possibility it's a diversion due to Winchburgh tunnel being closed, therefore the train wouldn't have been across the bridge.

When such a closure occurs Eastbound trains turn off the E&G at Winchburgh Junction heading Northwards for Dalmeny. Once there they stop short of the station, reverse and then proceed South directly towards Edinburgh.

Westbound trains do the same in reverse.

In this image the train appears to be crossing from the down to the up line, which would fit in with just such a diversion.

Edited by Bon Accord
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

1 hour ago, Bon Accord said:

There is a possibility it's a diversion due to Winchburgh tunnel being closed, therefore the train wouldn't have been across the bridge.

When such a closure occurs Eastbound trains turn off the E&G at Winchburgh Junction heading Northwards for Dalmeny. Once there they stop short of the station, reverse and then proceed South directly towards Edinburgh.

That was a common event, even in recent times, often due to flooding at Winchburgh Tunnel or points failures at Newbridge Jc. However, no longer possible for the majority of services along the E&G, since electrification !

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, caradoc said:

That was a common event, even in recent times, often due to flooding at Winchburgh Tunnel or points failures at Newbridge Jc. However, no longer possible for the majority of services along the E&G, since electrification !

Reversal could also happen if there was a problem on the lead loco. if minor, like the speedo, then the loco was still useful (i.e. shoving), if more serious, it at least let the train continue in service.

Also, if for some reason the BSO was not at the Glasgow end, then the train was supposed to be turned at the earliest opportunity.

Such  was the intensity of these services, they were kept running as much as possible - there were even horn codes (for signalboxes) when approaching Edinburgh or Glasgow, to signify the need for a new loco on arrival.

Edited by keefer
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
On 15/01/2021 at 21:08, Wickham Green too said:

Reverse Bustitution ? ............... Not enough Pacer Skipper railbuses in traffic today ? - just put on a class 50 and four coach set instead ( Mk2c BSO, Mk2e TSO, Mk2e FO & Mk1 RBR ! - why didn't I record the numbers ??!? ) : -

194.14.jpg

Paignton to Newton Abbot, 4/9/86

GWR have announced that as a short-term replacement for the 143s, they will be using 3+2 HST sets

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, blackpete said:

GWR have announced that as a short-term replacement for the 143s, they will be using 3+2 HST sets

Is this for real? What routes? I'd love to be able to catch one from Starcross to Exeter Central, the climb from St David's would be great!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Is this for real? What routes? I'd love to be able to catch one from Starcross to Exeter Central, the climb from St David's would be great!

It's in January's Rail Express. They'd certainly have a great power to weight ratio

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, blackpete said:

It's in January's Rail Express. They'd certainly have a great power to weight ratio

Similar but not the same story on the Modern Railways site here, dated 24 Dec 20:

https://www.keymodernrailways.com/article/23-hsts-help-oust-gwr-pacers

which seems to say that while waiting for more sliding door conversions, they’re shuffling the existing trailers into sets of 3 instead of 4 in order to make best use of the power cars. That, together with a shuffle of other DMUs, means they can do without the pacers. I don’t think it implies 2+3 HSTs to Exmouth. 

Time to start watching the Dawlish webcam maybe, to work out what’s on what services. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, blackpete said:

Three power cars and 2 coaches?.

Is the climb from St David's that steep?

:o

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Three power cars and 2 coaches?.

Is the climb from St David's that steep?

:o

Enough to stall several steam specials in the last few years.

2 x 2-6-4T and a second one 76079 + 34067 Exeter Bank  there are more I think if you search YouTube.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ben B said:

If I'm right in thinking, the railway there is long gone but the warning signeage is still beside the road.

Isn’t there a giant metal Scorpion there now ??!!

cheers,

Phil.

1 hour ago, eastwestdivide said:

Google street view shows some unlit traffic lights:

https://goo.gl/maps/94SqpLgcMgeD1iJJ9

Hi- yeah that's the spot.  About 8 years ago I can remember driving that way a few times whilst I was doing some work with a gallery in Sheffield, and there was definitely still the triangular sign warning of a level crossing either on or immediately before those lights.  It stuck in my memory as I meant to go back and photograph any remains of the lines, but subsequent trips to Meadowhall all involved coming in off the Motorway and I haven't been back past Forgemasters for a while.  Looks like the signs have gone anyway.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

At the opposite corner, there seems to be an old, round sign under the modern 'No Admittance' sign.

75078118_Screenshot_20210122-1531172.png.cb1a5ef6afb5f84f5c8bde2608b1777a.png

Also seems to be a Blue Plaque, (commemorating the history of the works perhaps?)

Edited by keefer
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, keefer said:

At the opposite corner, there seems to be an old, round sign under the modern 'No Admittance' sign.

Also seems to be a Blue Plaque, (commemorating the history of the works perhaps?)1582951147_Screenshot_20210122-1531172.png.2db9ca309c591a891d9402ba52b86564.png

This?

But obviously not on the same wall.

lower-don-valley-history-trails-plaque-s

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1