Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, great central said:

There were also some former Great Western ones in the mix, can't remember now if they were fag packet or road runner livery

They'd have been green & cream, surely? I don't think purple livery was a thing at that point.

• RMweb Gold

Wellingborough 29Aug 2003.  Rear PC in unbranded Virgin.  No fGW carraiges in this consist but the cascaded ones were green like the power car.  Very much mix and match at the time with most sets.

rev Wellingborough HST1 29Aug03.jpg

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, great central said:

There were also some former Great Western ones in the mix, can't remember now if they were fag packet or road runner livery

It was a full 2+8 set in fag packet livery that was hired in. The power cars did end up getting split

• RMweb Gold

Got a blue Bachmann class 85, with marker lights, and want to personalise it?

How about remove the central arrow, relocate it to the cabside, and renumber it 85032?

85032_Northampton_13061987

A similar trick can also be done with 85002, but it also needs the TOPS data panel removing from under the number.

85002_86101_Euston_June1987

These photos are from 1987; unfortunately I only have photos showing the corridor side, so I don't know whether the equipment side was the same on one or both locos. Here's one of 032 in 1984, looking rather tatty and in need of a repaint, but showing the arrow (and worksplate) still in place on the corridor side.

85032_1B07_Northampton_28081984

That's the trouble with AC electrics, they're all the same......

Edited by rodent279
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

A Class 50 at Bourne End?  In Sep87 the Marlow-Maidenhead Users Assoc (or whatever their correct name was) organised an open day along with a lot of help from NSE.  A Class 50 and Class 117 in NSE colours were positioned there for the day, and the choc/cream 121 was rostered for the Marlow shuttles. 50.035 Ark Royal looked splendid.

50035 Bourne End Sep86.jpg

• Like 19

1 hour ago, LNERGE said:

I'm more interested in the propelling control container. Any more photo's of it?

It's not my photo.  If you click on it, you'll be taken to the photographer's Flickr page.  There used to be an indication of a photo being from Flickr, but that seems to have disappeared.

• RMweb Premium

The container was used on the Cricklewood-Forders binliner.

Googling finds plenty of pictures including:

http://www.hondawanderer.com/58047_Kempston_1996.htm

It possibly ended up running between Avonmouth and Newport Alexandra Docks.

https://flic.kr/p/6CE3sM

The forum has started taking Flickr's "Share" links and using them to embed the photo (as it does if you share via the Embed or BBCode option).

Steven B.

Edited by Steven B
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, ColinK said:

Odd combination at Kings Cross in 1988. At one end there is a 91 with a test car behind.

1988R168.JPG.6326805b4313de5c421e7ab8abe5dc4e.JPG

While at the other end of the train there is an HST power car and a Mk3 sleeper.

1988R167.JPG.1aeaa3dc22caa78c89af2a4970865fb1.JPG

That power car looks to have 91 style horns not seen that before 

• Agree 1

I believe it is the test runs for the 91s before the Mk4s were fully ready. They did some runs up/down the WCML just prior to introduction, and I think the middle carriages in that formation were indeed Mk4s on test as well as the 91, with a Mk3 to provide a translation between the HST power car and the Mk4s and a translator coach of some kind between the 91 and Mk4s. I am however going on memory of a thread that was posted about it elsewhere!

• Informative/Useful 1

Fancy running your brake tenders behind a BR blue Class 33? Then throw Rule 1 out of the window!

Loose Grip's photo: "London Latchmere Junction 8th October 1976. I associate brake tenders with the North-east for some reason but here Class 33 diesel 33006 heads south with two of them at London Latchmere Junction, near Clapham Junction on the West London Extension Joint Railway from Kensington Olympia.

"At that time the only passenger trains to traverse this section of railway were GPO staff services that only ran at rush hours during the week to and from Olympia.

"What is startling compared to today's railway views is the lack of vegetation to shield sight of the train, even in urban areas like this. In the last couple of years I've passed this way quite a lot on support crew turns but I have failed to identify the location probably because it is behind a wall of greenery today."

Source: https://www.flickr.com/photos/loose_grip_99/353965414/in/photostream/

353965414_2f929be4b5_o.jpg

Edited by Mel_H
  • Like 18

14 hours ago, russ p said:

That power car looks to have 91 style horns not seen that before 

Certainly does! I wasn't aware of that either. The tri-tone 'chime' horn was developed for the 91/DVT, I understand, due to the initial plan to run at 140mph/225 km/h to give sufficient warning for trackside staff.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, Mel_H said:

Fancy running your brake tenders behind a BR blue Class 33? Then throw Rule 1 out of the window!

Loose Grip's photo: "London Latchmere Junction 8th October 1976. I associate brake tenders with the North-east for some reason but here Class 33 diesel 33006 heads south with two of them at London Latchmere Junction, near Clapham Junction on the West London Extension Joint Railway from Kensington Olympia.

"At that time the only passenger trains to traverse this section of railway were GPO staff services that only ran at rush hours during the week to and from Olympia.

"What is startling compared to today's railway views is the lack of vegetation to shield sight of the train, even in urban areas like this. In the last couple of years I've passed this way quite a lot on support crew turns but I have failed to identify the location probably because it is behind a wall of greenery today."

Source: https://www.flickr.com/photos/loose_grip_99/353965414/in/photostream/

353965414_2f929be4b5_o.jpg

Picture doesn't seem right without a granada /consul tearing round that yard and some dodgy looking bloke sprinting down the path to the bridge! 

I didn't recognise the location Às you say all overgrown nowadays 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1