Prototype for everything corner.

14 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

Accidentally snapped the top off your signal post while leaning over to shove a recalcitrant loco? Never mind, just mount the arm on the stump that's left.

But I'm afraid I can't forgive that unrealistically short mail train formation!

47625, Abergele, 25.04-1994

I think even the 90's Graham Farish Royal Mail set had one more carriage than that :)

Is it the North Wales Coast Line? Wondering if it's a TPO portion for Holyhead/Irish ferry.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Ben B said:

Is it the North Wales Coast Line? Wondering if it's a TPO portion for Holyhead/Irish ferry.

TPO empties for Holyhead

(Again from the caption!)

Both this and the HST shortie are at Abergele (note caravan sites)

https://goo.gl/maps/WAui5wi1GoJKYzKa7

https://goo.gl/maps/9P9ozeV8cpxFKHXB6

Edited by melmerby
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

Similar formations of mostly catering cars between the power cars were used for training runs when the HSTs were introduced to the Midland main line. 

Quoting myself, just found a reference to this earlier in this very thread!

2 hours ago, Ben B said:

I think even the 90's Graham Farish Royal Mail set had one more carriage than that :)

I can't remember if it was either a Workington/Huddersfield/Lincoln TPO that was formed of a sorting coach and BG in the late 80s/early 90s

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, Ian Morgan said:

It fell on the floor and I trod on it - doh!

post-11458-0-60452000-1501012549.jpg

something about that picture also screams 'real thing looks like a model'. Plain sky backscene, that container/cabin needs weathering... plus some's trodden on the tank wagon ;) 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 09/02/2021 at 19:08, rodent279 said:

Why not simply remove the brushes then?

Apologies for the delayed reply, as a later post says this isn't always an easy job, some of the carbon brush carriers seemed to be designed by people who thought that Leckys had three hands attached to arms with infinite flexibility.

My experience of dc was marine rather than railway, but I would think that some of the larger locomotive generators and traction motors would be of a similar design. 

Edited by Tankerman
corrected typos
  • Like 1

On 11/02/2021 at 20:03, Tankerman said:

Apologies for the delayed reply, as a later post says this isn't always an easy job, some of the carbon brush carriers seemed to be designed by people who thought that Leckys had three hands attached to arms with infinite flexibility.

My experience of dc was marine rather than railway, but I would think that some of the larger locomotive generators and traction motors would be of a similar design. 

Not just leckys! Why should you have all the fun?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Those human powered locomotives weren't a great success were they?

The TV programme Scrapheap Challenge did something similar - four blokes in a giant hamster wheel on rails. Photo in this article:

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv-programme/e/qxs4/scrapheap-challenge--s9-e3-muscle-trains/

not to mention the episode with a scary jet/rocket-powered train that caught fire.

Edited by eastwestdivide

14 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

The TV programme Scrapheap Challenge did something similar - four blokes in a giant hamster wheel on rails. Photo in this article:

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv-programme/e/qxs4/scrapheap-challenge--s9-e3-muscle-trains/

not to mention the episode with a scary jet/rocket-powered train that caught fire.

I loved the diesel/steam/electric Christmas special where the producers had comprehensively underestimated just how fast a mere 30hp could shift a mk2 coach, and the camera carts they were trying to film from could not keep up!  Brilliant demonstration on how efficient steel wheel on steel rail was,

• Like 4