Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Gold

Large static caravans were regularly taken across the Menai Bridge by train. Normally they would have been delivered by road from the manufacturers, but wouldn`t fit across the road bridge. There are photos of some of these workings on the 2D53 website. When Britannia Bridge was rebuilt after the fire the transporters used the new road deck, so the traffic ceased. The caravans were loaded at Bangor IIRC, and unloaded at one of the goods yards on Anglesey.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 27/07/2020 at 11:59, DK123GWR said:

How did they manage that?

I think it's a very good idea. The use of the incorrect stencil draws the eye to the perceived 'fault'  which is hard-wired into all of us. 

By the time you've deciphered the message, there's a high probability you've got the message, which is the original point. 

Edward de Bono at its finest.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, nigb55009 said:

Large static caravans were regularly taken across the Menai Bridge by train.

Do you actually mean static caravans?

They are typically 10' wide, 8' high and between 28' & 40' long.

IMHO not on a UK train. Too wide & probably too high on the corners

• RMweb Gold

Yes they were static caravans. Don`t forget,  I`m talking about the late sixties, early seventies. Static caravans were a lot smaller. If you have a look at photos you`ll see what I mean. The caravans were carried on what look like flatrols, so that should , hopefully give some sense of their size. If you go on the 2d53 site, click on the Llanfair page, at the bottom is a link to the caravan story.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

14 hours ago, Mel_H said:

Bought too many 1:76 caravans? Simple, pop them on a flat wagon.

25 026 on a train of caravans at Dundee 13/6/78 (RCTS)

[Never seen pictures of this type of traffic before!]

913140771_Screenshot2021-02-28at05_45_53.png

.. and not conveyed on anything fancy, just a standard Boplate. 

Paul

14 hours ago, melmerby said:

Do you actually mean static caravans?

They are typically 10' wide, 8' high and between 28' & 40' long.

IMHO not on a UK train. Too wide & probably too high on the corners

The days of the 10ft wide Static Caravan are long gone, 12ft has been the standard for many years now

Jim

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, luckymucklebackit said:

The days of the 10ft wide Static Caravan are long gone, 12ft has been the standard for many years now

Jim

I got my info from a sales site and there are still plenty of 10' ones around

56 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I got my info from a sales site and there are still plenty of 10' ones around

10ft ones are still available but the default now seems to be the 12ft wide variant, although some are now 13ft. Then there's the double units costing near on £100k!

There's a couple of those on the Haven site I walk past regularly, funny thing is they don't seem to be used that often and the site season is shorter than where mine is.

2 minutes ago, great central said:

10ft ones are still available but the default now seems to be the 12ft wide variant, although some are now 13ft. Then there's the double units costing near on £100k!

There's a couple of those on the Haven site I walk past regularly, funny thing is they don't seem to be used that often and the site season is shorter than where mine is.

Agree you can probably pick up at 10 ft van second hand, but most sites are laid out with pitches for 12 ft vans and most would not let you site the older vans on their site.  I don't think any of the major manufacturers make 10 footers any more.

Jim

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Agree you can probably pick up at 10 ft van second hand, but most sites are laid out with pitches for 12 ft vans and most would not let you site the older vans on their site.  I don't think any of the major manufacturers make 10 footers any more.

Jim

There's always been a bit of "no oldies" on sites.

My parents had a static, probaly 10', in the 70s (bought new) but when they let it go, although still in top nick it was virtually worthless as most sites want the old van off and a new one in it's place.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 minutes ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Jim

I've dug out a copy of the NACO in house magazine, summer 2020 edition with their price guide. Most manufacturers list a range of 10ft wide vans, although admittedly, they're in a minority.

As a contrast the biggest from quick scanning seems to be 60x22 ft and the most expensive a shade over £200k!!

• Informative/Useful 1

We've had "trains in the landscape", but have we had wagons that were embedded in the landscape and abandoned for decades?

High Peak Junction, 2011:

293739644_HighPeakJn2011.jpg.7d2a1f87400da84ab8033bedc7189256.jpg

And Potteric Carr 2010 (an area that's no longer accessible from the bird reserve):

1766112310_PottericCarrb2010.jpg.57bbc006a353992fd06a2b20ee5868b7.jpg

2010389042_PottericCarra2010.jpg.45dfe1e7733f70108f5bd824787ca1c3.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Jim

Yes, and the haulage companies seem determined to bring them along our single carriage road right around the time people are heading to work... :mad_mini::bomb_mini::diablo_mini:

• Like 2