Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, melmerby said:

At least it had a decent Mk1 underframe, even if the rest was too much like an urban bus.

That's why they got rid of the "decent Mk1 underframe" !

I have the distinct impression (probably wrong) that the railways were deliberately trying to lose passengers and freight - at that time.

Kev.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, SHMD said:

I have the distinct impression (probably wrong) that the railways were deliberately trying to lose passengers and freight - at that time.

Kev.

If every passenger you carry incurs a loss and every tonne of freight carried incurs a loss, then reduce both to reduce losses. Simples:jester:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

At least it had a decent Mk1 underframe, even if the rest was too much like an urban bus.

I seem to remember seeing some interior pictures and was similar to a 155

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, russ p said:

Probably luxury nowadays compared to new trains

Especially the seats. Anything has to be better that the park benches in the 800's.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Mel_H said:

Fancy a Freightliner class 70 + 66 lashup? And, if you've got 39 wagons (a mix of open box and hoppers), you can recreate Wednesday's (17/3/21) 3,600 tonnes Tunstead-Wembley trial run!

Jumbo freightliner service on first West Coast main line journey.jpg

I was wondering if anyone had taken photos of its arrival at Wembley, I worked part of it back from Battersea to Wembley then onwards to Bedford (see my posts in the Class 70 thread).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Rugd1022 said:

I was wondering if anyone had taken photos of its arrival at Wembley, I worked part of it back from Battersea to Wembley then onwards to Bedford (see my posts in the Class 70 thread).

Were they in multi Nidge?

24 minutes ago, russ p said:

Were they in multi Nidge?

No Russ, but the initial plan (so I was told on the day) was for them to be multied up as part of the test. The 66 was coupled inside the 70 on the way south as precautionary measure and was supposed be the same going back, but in the event once I'd arrived back at Wembley with the Battersea portion the shunter's had arranged with Control to have it dead and isolated at the rear, as the weight going back was only just under 1,200 tons. It was quite a nice view looking back through the 70's cab door at the full length of the train on the curves, with the 66 right at the back.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

saw another example of mismatched liveries this morning, a HST in East Coast red & white but with East Midland's "EMR" on one power car and the other end was in intercity

And an odd sight the other day, the battle of Britain 91 running flat end first pulling a 67

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Monty,

Surely that is the railway version of dazzle camouflage.

Gibbo.

Presumably it worked. There's no record of one ever being sunk by enemy action. 

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, JJGraphics said:

Especially the seats. Anything has to be better that the park benches in the 800's.

A friend of mine who isn't a railfan travelled frequently from Gloucester to Paddington on the first through train on a Saturday, and he commented as to how much more comfortable the new trains were over the HST. He is a rather large gent who has had surgery on his back and is generally in constant pain, so maybe the harder seats were better for him. Passed tense used because he no longer travels due to Covid, not that he is no longer with us.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

I doubt that this is the case as I think this is the original height as many stations were still this low for may more years!

I think there are still some that have a humped section to comply with new regulations as regards accessibility.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

Does anyone know why there would be such a large gap here?

Ilkley 1975

75059-E51498 Ilkley

Whitby used to have boxes when it was still the proper station.  

I seem to remember Grosmont and pickering also being low. Must have been common on the NER

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Malton was the same.

https://findery.com/DickensMaltonMuseum/notes/malton-railway-station

The area on the left next to the station building is the original platform level, the area on the right is the new level.

Most platforms were a little lower than they are now, I assume this is because of the need to rise the floor of the vehicle in order to fit and engine and transmission underneath. Here is Nelson (Lancs) in the 70's.

20150626215958_07.jpg.d8f0f97c23475ead5c3892ef3043dea4.jpg

20150626215958_08.jpg.b18c2a21e7c65c9e8d2f1d32fedb6980.jpg

Ilkley, however was much lower.

20150611202056_02.jpg.c2d87255b62c95d4a0bf9a19b7528526.jpg

Edited by 96701
  • Like 13

18 minutes ago, 96701 said:

Malton was the same.

https://findery.com/DickensMaltonMuseum/notes/malton-railway-station

The area on the left next to the station building is the original platform level, the area on the right is the new level.

Most platforms were a little lower than they are now, I assume this is because of the need to rise the floor of the vehicle in order to fit and engine and transmission underneath. Here is Nelson (Lancs) in the 70's.

20150626215958_07.jpg.93bd1685cc2cff47d8e40c74c9455bde.jpg

20150626215958_08.jpg.85fce14c3216af773c08950240110533.jpg

Ilkley, however was much lower.

20150611202056_02.jpg.f97a14384b6e127541dfb194f6d02c45.jpg

All before the days of bad diet and too much television !!!

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, russ p said:

I seem to remember Grosmont and pickering also being low. Must have been common on the NER

It looks like the Hornby sectional plastic platform when you put foam underlay beneath the track and it messes up the height !!

Edited by ianmacc
Yoo
  • Funny 1

On 22/03/2021 at 20:27, russ p said:

They still put out steps/boxes at Pickering on the NYMR from what I remember, at least for the section of platform under the canopy.  I think the far end of the platform is a bit higher and the step up/down correspondingly less.

• Agree 3

BEN_BUCKI_KWVR_Damems_37075_Mixed-Train_Vintage_28_03.21_04.JPG.173151e80e334d535784a374f8664652.JPG

Those people who say that modelling a preserved railway gives you an excuse to run anything you want... like you'd ever see a works train with a Railfreight triple-grey 37, a vintage L&Y carriage, a BR box van and standard brakevan- oh wait...

Keighley and Worth Valley yesterday, annoyingly just after the sun had gone in.  I wish I'd got the shot earlier when the works train snuck past the house in the morning- the 37 was hauling a train consisting of two sheeted-over, unrestored MK1's, the Old Gentlemans Saloon and the Railway Children Pannier tank!

• Like 18