Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Could be problems if the bobby tries to throw that turnout!

You have do ask. Why?

Presumably cost/value for money. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 16/03/2021 at 14:47, iands said:

Similarly, and if you don't want all and sundry to notice your cock-up, do it when it's a bit foggy.

1121918903_DoncasterWestyardMay1981.jpg.b2b84f0f1d000c54de64538c193d02e0.jpg

The train now arriving at platforms one and two

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

On 14/04/2021 at 00:11, melmerby said:

Is it a train?

Is it a bus?

Wasn't there something like this here in the UK in the 50's or 60's? I had a pic in a book when I was a kid, it showed a diesel shunter and chunky flat wagons with road wheels, on a 'railway' that was a meandering concrete path with a single guide rail.

I've just remembered something I found in Peru in 2019 which might be suitable for this thread. Walking through Hidroelectrica, near Machu Picchu, there was a set of shops which straddled a railway line. At the end of the row of shops, on the opposite side of the line to the Urubamba River, was Restaurant Bailon, where we stopped for lunch. Accross the line from the restaurant was a gate, and going through the gate was a siding. It was at roughly 90 degrees to the mainline, and a small vehicle (presumably some sort of shunting tractor or maintenance vehicle) was parked on it. There was no phycial connection to the mainline, and I wondered if and how the vehicle was able to move out of the siding. Then I realised that left on the front of the vehicle, there were two ski-shaped objects and a post with a beam on top. I don't recall whether there was a corresponding hole in the ground, but I did reach the conclusion that the aparatus was probably a kind of turntable which could be constructed when needed to access the siding.

Unfortunately, while I took photos, my camera died before I got back to the UK and I haven't yet been able to retrieve them, but I'm hoping that if anyone else has been to the area this might be enough to jog their memory. I have tried looking online, but unfortunately it appears that the 'typical' British visitor to Peru is not the sort of person to spend their lunchtime pondering how a railway siding is worked.

I can at least assure you that whether the turntable was real or not, the herd of over fifty schoolchildren and their teachers walking down the railway definitely was. There seems to be an expectation that pedestrians will use the line - speeds are low and horns are well-used - but I still imagine that a few readers here will twitch uncomfortably at the very thought of it.

Here is a google maps link to the restaurant:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Restaurant+Bailon/@-13.1764708,-72.5598272,16.44z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x916d9b651ba3c5f1:0x9a0cb70d04816808!8m2!3d-13.1750054!4d-72.5569265

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Double slips on a main line? - No way that's just happens in model railway land.

4 Double slips and a scissors crossover on a 4 track electrified passenger line:

224236545_doubleslips2.JPG.df81c54d779cc0d76776e731359e8db1.JPG

There were two such layouts in Tees yard outside the east and west end cabins,  where the sorting sidings met the departures 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, melmerby said:

Double slips on a main line? - No way that's just happens in model railway land.

4 Double slips and a scissors crossover on a 4 track electrified passenger line:

224236545_doubleslips2.JPG.df81c54d779cc0d76776e731359e8db1.JPG

Where? Just curious.