Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Gold

There are photos and video footage of passenger trains on the Woodhead Route in it`s final few weeks of operation with a rake of five coaches, two blue/grey, two maroon and one green. The same rake seems to have stayed together for while, but again, no real explanation of why SR coach ended on the Woodhead.

10 hours ago, john new said:

The oddity to me is why that lone S Region coach is in a north west rake? Had it been transferred between regions but not yet repainted? 

9 hours ago, nigb55009 said:

There are photos and video footage of passenger trains on the Woodhead Route in it`s final few weeks of operation with a rake of five coaches, two blue/grey, two maroon and one green. The same rake seems to have stayed together for while, but again, no real explanation of why SR coach ended on the Woodhead.

Speculation on my part but ...

The 4TC units and 4REP intermediate vehicles for the Bournemouth electrification were converted from hauled stock and there were a lot of stock swaps between the SR and elsewhere to provide sufficient suitable vehicles for this.  That could be one reason (although Bulleid's turning up in odd places is the most commonly reported manifestation of this).  Another could be that once Class 33 hauled 4TC formations started on the Bournemouth line followed later by partial then full electric working the SR needed less hauled stock and some was transferred away.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I think it wasn't just the case of getting enough coaches to convert, IIRC it was trying to get the best available i.e. newest/best condition ones. The Bulleid stock was provided in return for these.

16 hours ago, nigb55009 said:

Yes, there were some transfers between regions in the mid to late 60s. I remember the occasional green mk1 appearing in rakes of excursion stock heading for Skegness, but I can't remember the year(s). Probably 1966/67 though. 

There is also at least one green coach in a commercial video I have somewhere. This was seen on local trains passing (I think, from memory) Church Fenton station towards the end of steam.  

Talking of odd liveried coaches out of their perceived area, I have a video which shows a chocolate and cream BSK, I think, in the formation of a Nottingham Midland to Worksop train around 1964.

Also there's photos of a rail tour around the Nottingham area, hauled by an 8F, which has an almost new blue/grey MK2 at the front of the rake. One photo in one of the Alf Henshaw books about the GN in the Nottingham area, although a little hazy, taken from the train as it passes Weekday Cross on the way into Victoria. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, great central said:

Talking of odd liveried coaches out of their perceived area, I have a video which shows a chocolate and cream BSK, I think, in the formation of a Nottingham Midland to Worksop train around 1964.

Also there's photos of a rail tour around the Nottingham area, hauled by an 8F, which has an almost new blue/grey MK2 at the front of the rake. One photo in one of the Alf Henshaw books about the GN in the Nottingham area, although a little hazy, taken from the train as it passes Weekday Cross on the way into Victoria. 

Actually it seems the blue/grey coaches on the GC/GN were XP64 coaches - https://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/60s/660326ec.html - so even more unusual. I have seen this stated elsewhere after researching that same picture. They were added due a special request by RCTS.

Another strange one for the GN in Nottingham is in a picture in Hayden Reed's excellent new book on the GN Back Line. it shows the 4-15PM local to Victoria departing the bay at Basford & Bulwell station. While the A5 and most of the coaches are what you would expect in 1959 the first coach is a ex-GN twelve-wheeled dining car. Hayden says he has no clue why such a coach would be present in the train  but I am going to take a guess that it is being worked from the carriage sidings to Victoria to be added to a train there.

Rob

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 16/05/2021 at 08:18, phil_sutters said:

An LNER 4 wheeled passenger brake sandwiched between ex-GWR stock on the Somerset Central in 1964

BBG03  Collett 060 3200 Ecr J - Hbr at Glastonbury 5 11 64.jpg

Is that a 4 wheel version or another 6 wh BZ as you have illustrated a couple of postings later on? Did the 4 wheel have an end window?

Paul

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, 30851 said:

Another strange one for the GN in Nottingham is in a picture in Hayden Reed's excellent new book on the GN Back Line. it shows the 4-15PM local to Victoria departing the bay at Basford & Bulwell station. While the A5 and most of the coaches are what you would expect in 1959 the first coach is a ex-GN twelve-wheeled dining car. Hayden says he has no clue why such a coach would be present in the train  but I am going to take a guess that it is being worked from the carriage sidings to Victoria to be added to a train there.

Rob

Is that Volume 2? 

I have looked at the Booklaw site but there are no descriptions. In the end I may get all three volumes, but wondered which one to purchase first. 

1 hour ago, jonny777 said:

Is that Volume 2? 

I have looked at the Booklaw site but there are no descriptions. In the end I may get all three volumes, but wondered which one to purchase first. 

The three volume set is 'the the rise and fall of Nottingham's railways' 

The one referred to above has the 'back line' as a subtitle, but I can't remember the full title.

I'll have a look see if I can find it for you

Edit: found it for you

https://www.booklaw.co.uk/booklaw-publications/great-northern-railway-the-back-line.html

Edited by great central
Add last paragraph

5 minutes ago, great central said:

The three volume set is 'the the rise and fall of Nottingham's railways' 

The one referred to above has the 'back line' as a subtitle, but I can't remember the full title.

I'll have a look see if I can find it for you

Thanks. I think it must be Vol2, but there is no photo on the Booklaw site. 

Vol1 is subtitled 'Lines In the City' and Vol3 is 'Off The Beaten Track'

4 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

Is that a 4 wheel version or another 6 wh BZ as you have illustrated a couple of postings later on? Did the 4 wheel have an end window?

Well spotted - no the four-wheeler didn't have end windows ( standard Gresley flat ends ) so these are BOTH Thompson six-wheelers .............. not particularly common but probably in general use from the day they were built by BR.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

25 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

Bet nobody was hurt too. 

Only because in the good old days people had it within themselfs to take responsibility for themselfs rather than have some bureaucratic stooges do it for them vicariously.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2

On 15/05/2021 at 15:23, rodent279 said:

Wonder if a green coach ever made it into Euston, electrically hauled?

(Discounting tours etc,)

One BSK regularly made it to Manchester, electrically hauled........

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

They used common sense, but that is not accepted now by some on this forum. lol  :)

We used to use common sense but now it is so uncommon we have elf and safety. 

• Agree 2