Prototype for everything corner.

3 hours ago, PhilH said:

I apologise if this has been on before, and for only posting a link, however I wasn’t sure of copyright etc. However it’s the first time I’ve seen it and maybe if new some might be interested.  

Picture of both of the J67s modified to work the Lauder Light:

https://d240vprofozpi.cloudfront.net/locos/J/j67j69.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Carmarthen - Old Oak Common empty newspaper train 1983 complete with Class 121 DMU 54286

47492 with 54286 in the consist on the Carmarthen - Old Oak Common empty newspaper train at East Usk, Newport 26.10.1983

What max speed would that have been allowed?

1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

Carmarthen - Old Oak Common empty newspaper train 1983 complete with Class 121 DMU 54286

Wasn’t all that unusual to see DMU vehicles in parcels trains. Derby sent overhauled Cricklewood ones back that way. Will try and look out a couple of examples in my collection. 

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

47492 with 54286 in the consist on the Carmarthen - Old Oak Common empty newspaper train at East Usk, Newport 26.10.1983

1 hour ago, rodent279 said:

What max speed would that have been allowed?

15 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Do you mean how fast can the 121 push the 47?:jester:

That became a Sandite coach.

Well technically it was a class 149 DTS which was then reclassified 121. There was no 54286, maybe 56286 or if a typo 56284.

As it had no engines it was probably being dragged at up to 70MPH, but then as it has no engines, gearboxes or final drives, could it have been faster?

According to sources to hand Memerby's right and 54286 became TDB977466 in December '86 .............. and my 1985 Platform 5 lists it as class 121 ............. though it may have been a 149 - which sounds more like a Pacer - in the dim and distant past .........

Edited by Wickham Green too
grammar

This brings back memories of my spotting days on the GN&GE, specifically to see a similar train but from Lincoln to March which conveyed dmu cars on the rear, fresh from overhaul. 

Most of my underlinings of E79xxx East Anglian based units were from these trains. I was lucky in that the line curved in the distance and so I could be prepared for the number of dmu cars to be concentrated on. 

There was a similar train which ran down the ECML to Kings Cross, although as well as dmu vehicles, it also had the occasional newly painted blue non-gangwayed suburban coach in the consist. The numbers in the E43xxx or E46xxx series were somewhat confusing until I read a copy of Railway Observer some time later. 

32 minutes ago, Davexoc said:

Well technically it was a class 149 DTS which was then reclassified 121. There was no 54286, maybe 56286 or if a typo 56284.

Wouldn't 56286 have been renumbered around that time, to 54286? 

There is a 54286 in my 1986 Platform 5 book - listed as at Southall but unserviceable. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

There is a 54286 in my 1986 Platform 5 book - listed as at Southall but unserviceable. 

Just checked Longworth, which has renumbering in May 83, with the change to TDB977466 in October 86. So possibly May 83 shot then...

Quite why a London Division based DTS is in S Wales, but as it looks almost ex-works, could it have been tagged onto the westbound newspapers at Swindon to get it back to London on the return leg?

15 hours ago, jonny777 said:

DMU cars in the 50xxx and 56xxx series were renumbered for the introduction of POIS, to avoid confusion with locos with the same numbers. By that time sadly there was no need to renumber the 55xxx DMU cars...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Have we established the location ? ......... it certainly has a South Wales feel to it and most of the Carmarthen to OOC is a little flatter than this .......

It says East Usk on the photo.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Davexoc said:

As it had no engines it was probably being dragged at up to 70MPH, but then as it has no engines, gearboxes or final drives, could it have been faster?

According to Railcar.co.uk it was renumbered in 83 to 54286.

https://www.railcar.co.uk/data/vehicle/54286

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Looks like a Mk1 BG to me !

Possibly a missing comma?

The Hawksworth, BG and the Maunsell Van B........:scratchhead:

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

I believe that's an ex-LMS 6-Wheel Stove R in the train, which may not have been that unusual at the time, but still.....

To me the van looks green and bogie fitted, so I would agree with the OP that it’s a Stove fitted ex-SR Van B.