Prototype for everything corner.

48 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Pre 1963 as there is still active third rail leading to the High Level bridge.

Late 1950s at the latest - the A4 still has the cycling lion on the tender.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

37 minutes ago, 73c said:

Counting but still a guess at 18, with a bonus point for the wagon with a Hot Box   :)

Which looks like a slope-sided version; Maybe a BSCO wagon ?

• Like 2

On 19/05/2021 at 19:54, eastwestdivide said:

Were they a conversion specifically for this traffic?

'Converted' to the extent of having longitudinal beams as cradles. These all seem to be vac-fitted and BR-operated, and would have originated at SCoW's Port Talbots (Abbey) works. There were others that RTB bought for the same traffic, from their Spencer ( Llanwern) plant.

• Like 1

On 23/05/2021 at 19:08, montyburns56 said:

I believe that's an ex-LMS 6-Wheel Stove R in the train, which may not have been that unusual at the time, but still.....

Pontardulais May 1963

4676 at Pontardulais May 1963 by John Wiltshire: Peter Brabham collection

The train is bound for Llanelli . The line to the right of the platform is the one served by trains on the ex-LN&WR line from Swansea (Victoria).  The train is about to run into a short (88 yards) tunnel, which carries the Llanelli- Pontarddulais road. This road then descended to cross the L&NWR line on the level

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 22/05/2021 at 20:41, Bulleidnutter said:

Milk from Torrington is the most likely explaination. The Hawksworth BG and the Maunsell Van B will be carrying churns. The yellow/ orange patches denote the van being stove fitted.

Churn traffic was pretty much extinct by the 1960s so I doubt there would have been much left in 1963. Also Torrington was a pretty modern dairy as it had a major rebuild after WW2 so churns would have been unlikely. Thirdly, the Torridge Vale dairy was located about a mile away from the station. Milk was driven down to the station in tanker lorries and loaded in the old goods shed which was converted into a filling point. Churns would have been twice as unweidly as at dairies with a direct rail connection as they would have had to be driven to the station, unloaded from the lorry and then loaded into the vans, all while warming. The passenger brake vans in milk trains were almost exclusively for the Guard by the 1960s.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Karhedron said:

Churn traffic was pretty much extinct by the 1960s so I doubt there would have been much left in 1963. Also Torrington was a pretty modern dairy as it had a major rebuild after WW2 so churns would have been unlikely. Thirdly, the Torridge Vale dairy was located about a mile away from the station. Milk was driven down to the station in tanker lorries and loaded in the old goods shed which was converted into a filling point. Churns would have been twice as unweidly as at dairies with a direct rail connection as they would have had to be driven to the station, unloaded from the lorry and then loaded into the vans, all while warming. The passenger brake vans in milk trains were almost exclusively for the Guard by the 1960s.

I had a friend at Uni who was, how shall I put it, a dairy spotter/photographer. He'd get kicked out of dairies while I would get kicked out of loco depots.

Edited by brushman47544
  • Like 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
On 26/05/2021 at 15:08, Wickham Green too said:

Ah ...... can you point out the dia.1/116 aluminium-bodied one(s), please - I've always wondered what they looked like after umpteen years in traffic ! :rolleyes:

It's the one tucked in behind the 2nd Ventilated Van:)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

On 27/05/2021 at 14:34, brushman47544 said:

I had a friend at Uni who was, how shall I put it, a dairy spotter/photographer. He'd get kicked out of dairies while I would get kicked out of loco depots.

I don't suppose you are still in touch? I wouldn't mind a flip through his photo album. Particularly rail-served dairies which gives the best of both worlds. ;)

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Karhedron said:

I don't suppose you are still in touch? I wouldn't mind a flip through his photo album. Particularly rail-served dairies which gives the best of both worlds. ;)

'fraid not.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

Super D 48895 Wolverhampton MR Goods Yard 1963. Or is it 1933?

Super D 48895 Wolverhampton MR Goods Yard October 1963 John Wiltshire collection

I wonder if the XL5 on the tender is an ironic reference to Gerry Anderson's 'Fireball XL5' - I believe it did start in 1962.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Ramblin Rich said:

I wonder if the XL5 on the tender is an ironic reference to Gerry Anderson's 'Fireball XL5' - I believe it did start in 1962.

Very sure it is and you beat me to it. Looks very incongruous even though it’s contemporary doesn’t it!!? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2