Prototype for everything corner.

3 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Super D 48895 Wolverhampton MR Goods Yard 1963. Or is it 1933?

Super D 48895 Wolverhampton MR Goods Yard October 1963 John Wiltshire collection

This was discussed on here before. There was a suggestion the ‘LMS’ was chalked:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/153956-how-late-did-lms-exist-on-tenders/

1 hour ago, Ramblin Rich said:

I wonder if the XL5 on the tender is an ironic reference to Gerry Anderson's 'Fireball XL5' - I believe it did start in 1962.

4 minutes ago, ianmacc said:

Very sure it is and you beat me to it. Looks very incongruous even though it’s contemporary doesn’t it!!? 

I saw the full ‘Fireball XL5’ chalked on a Stanier 5 tender in 1964. Sorry - no pictures.

Edited by pH
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Super D 48895 Wolverhampton MR Goods Yard 1963. Or is it 1933?

Super D 48895 Wolverhampton MR Goods Yard October 1963 John Wiltshire collection

Interesting that the BR black over paint has totally gone, if you zoom in on the image the bicycling lion transfer is just visible over the M of LMS.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, john new said:

Interesting that the BR black over paint has totally gone, if you zoom in on the image the bicycling lion transfer is just visible over the M of LMS.

It's the same with the several ex GWR locos that lost their BR skim of paint, revealing the GWR initials underneath, although IIRC there is at least one loco that made it to around 1960 without having a BR paint job at all.

Presumably the "quick job" of painting out the former owner wasn't good quality.

Also IIRC there is a GWR period picture of a loco where the previous MSWJR intials have re-appeared from under the GWR's green paint job

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

20 hours ago, pH said:

This was discussed on here before. There was a suggestion the ‘LMS’ was chalked:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/153956-how-late-did-lms-exist-on-tenders/

I saw the full ‘Fireball XL5’ chalked on a Stanier 5 tender in 1964. Sorry - no pictures.

Yeah, if you blow up the picture it does look quite crudely done.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Yeah, if you blow up the picture it does look quite crudely done.

I assume there were vestiges of the original lettering visible which the chalk was used to "enhance"

• Agree 1

On 29/05/2021 at 23:00, melmerby said:

It's the same with the several ex GWR locos that lost their BR skim of paint, revealing the GWR initials underneath, although IIRC there is at least one loco that made it to around 1960 without having a BR paint job at all.

Presumably the "quick job" of painting out the former owner wasn't good quality.

Also IIRC there is a GWR period picture of a loco where the previous MSWJR intials have re-appeared from under the GWR's green paint job

On 29/05/2021 at 22:25, john new said:

Hi Chaps,

If the lettering on the tenders was done by hand using gold leaf then that will, despite being only microns thick last longer that all of the rest of the materials that make up the locomotive if left alone. This is presumably why once the paint wore off through cleaning oil based paints with paraffin the gold leaf remained.

Gibbo.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 29/05/2021 at 22:25, john new said:

Looks to me more like the M is on top of the early emblem, not beneath.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

Looks to me more like the M is on top of the early emblem, not beneath.

I think you are right looking again, the chalk idea as mentioned up thread probably most likely.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

If the lettering on the tenders was done by hand using gold leaf then that will, despite being only microns thick last longer that all of the rest of the materials that make up the locomotive if left alone. This is presumably why once the paint wore off through cleaning oil based paints with paraffin the gold leaf remained.

LMS insignia was all transfers from the start, except in a few cases where transfers weren't available. However the "gold" may have been done on the 1923-8 large numerals, I'm fairly sure the 1928+ style only used gold for a few years, yellow or straw being used from the mid-30s.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

18 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

This looks like the half arsed paint job of a NSE MK2 BFK that has been converted into Regional Railways livery just by repainting the red stripe blue.

Grange Over Sands 1993

Grange-over-Sands

From Up to Down

31438 09.30 Barrow-Manchester Victoria, Grange over Sands 21.08.1993

31421Cplumptoncomplete Leaving Bolton.

I remember seeing quite a few done like that around then. I assume that they were ex West of England or Thames Valley ones repurposed?

Great photos.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Very common in the mid 1990s, and not just BSK - TSO in the same livery were easy to find. Yes they're the former West of England sets - the branding survived the initial "repaint" in many cases:

https://flic.kr/p/94AGmW

Trains made mostly of the rebranded NSE weren't uncommon:

https://flic.kr/p/94i7ca

You could often find unchanged NSE coaches (including Network South East branding) thrown in to rakes too:

https://flic.kr/p/94ACF5

Steven B.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Coincidentally, in the early 1990s de-branded Trans-Pennine/Provincial/Regional Railways (whatever they were at the time) Mk2s sometimes appeared amongst the Network SouthEast coaches in the formation of Waterloo-Exeter line trains. There are quite a few examples in this video.

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Like 5

59 minutes ago, Western Aviator said:

Coincidentally, in the early 1990s de-branded Regional Railways Mk2s sometimes appeared amongst the Network SouthEast coaches in the formation of Waterloo-Exeter line trains. There are quite a few examples in this video.

So many good bashing memories on that video!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 28/05/2021 at 06:04, Ben B said:

Not sure if the water crane is still there now, but it certainly was in 2007, the last time I used Sellafield station :)

I take it you now glow green in the dark !   Many years ago a certain magazine had a journalist who reviewed gricers trips but was sacked after a tun of shall we call robust reviews.One year  two such trips went into  Selafield and this cancelled his career!

• Like 1

If it is the same magazine as the railtour reviews I used to read circa 1985/6, they were some of the funniest railway articles I have ever come across. 

A 'crankex' coaching stock set was referred to as Beryl and Cheryl, but BR banned this reference after the Chernobyl meltdown as they said it might upset railway customers. 

I think the decision was roundly ridiculed in one article, which may not have helped the reviewer's cause. 

Edited by jonny777
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

From Facebook.

"Found this in a copy of ‘Steam’ magazine a few years ago ,taken in the 60s in Eastern France on an industrial line from Audincourt to a Peugeot components factory in the village of Beaulieu"

FB_IMG_1622789220931.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, jonny777 said:

A 'crankex' coaching stock set was referred to as Beryl and Cheryl, but BR banned this reference after the Chernobyl meltdown as they said it might upset railway customers. 

...became Beryl and Carol....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Most BR era nuclear flask trains ran with 2-3 flask wagons, however, a Crewe to Sellafield working combined several trains ending up with eleven FNA flask wagons in one train:

30893729010_089bf7405c_w.jpg

31200Ccartlanecomplete by Dean Cornthwaite, on Flickr

Valley and Trawsfynydd workings were combined from Llandudno - these trains may feature in the picture. Looking at the barrier wagons I'm guessing there are flasks from five or six power stations.

Steven B.

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

FB_IMG_1622789220931.jpg

3 hours ago, dagrizz said:

Well, the building is still there, if not the railway.

https://goo.gl/maps/YYUYUT92cnQpY4hp7

Graham

Modern version in Vancouver:

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/440+Terminal+Ave,+Vancouver,+BC/@49.2730683,-123.1017242,3a,75y,4h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sljgNgljbNMRje6XbafQCAQ!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x5486716411e3f2d3:0x2f809750b3f78ebd

• Like 3