Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, roythebus1 said:

Seen today on the Real Trainspotting FB group, a class 47 failed on the S&C with a heavy ballast train. A class 25 was summoned to assist. that couldn't move the load. It so happened an A4 was going light engine the other way and was summoned/hijacked to help and the entourage eventually got going, triple headed by a tender-first A4, 25 and dead 47! 1980-ish.

See this thread: 

Simon

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, lmsforever said:

I would ask for my money back if a Pacer turned up at a preserved line as the train in service !

Wait 50 years and you’ll probably find they’ll be the most popular thing on the line. I find the current popularity of classes 17, 21/29 and 28 (both prototype and model) quite amusing. In their heyday(?) in the 1960s they were almost universally reviled.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I've always liked the high 'window to pillar' ratio in Pacers, which gives a very good view out. Having said that, I'd far rather be in a 153 (which is effectively a bogied Pacer and probably what should have been built in the first place).

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

DRS 33 025 and 33 207  at Workington Docks 2005 by Kevin Smith

DRS 33 025 and 33 207

That's the first picture I've seen of the DRS cromptons actually hauling a service train! 

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, DavidB-AU said:

Interesting consist at Dawlish c1983.

Peak at Dawlish

Interesting, yes, but by no means unusual. The Speedlink trains that ran to and from Devon and Cornwall at that time were often a varied mixture of multiple wagon types. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, DavidB-AU said:

Interesting consist at Dawlish c1983.

Peak at Dawlish

First vehicle is I believe one of the Interfrigo vans used for Spanish onion traffic, and other perishables. Used to see them come through Leighton Buzzard regularly, 2-3 times a week, usually with an electric on the front. If it was a warm day, they used to reek!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Overpowered nuclear waste trains....

Workington 2013 by Richie B

Boxing Clever?

DRS 33 025 and 33 207  at Workington Docks 2005 by Kevin Smith

DRS 33 025 and 33 207

Sellafield to Crewe nuclear train By Timothy Young

PFA wagon 92703

I see your pairs, and raise you quads! All pics linked from Flickr...

4 Loco's 1 wagon !

(Also a 57/3 on a flask working, which was quite rare...)

DRS 57003, 66302, 37607, 37601 - 6K74

6K74: 68028 & 016 & 029 &022

In years gone by, multiple locos on multiple flasks was due to the train splitting for different destinations. Recently it’s been to get (usually) pairs between Sellafield and Crewe or Kingmoor for exams, maintenance or to get them out of the flask loco pool.

Jack.

• Like 15

On 15/06/2021 at 03:53, lmsforever said:

I would ask for my money back if a Pacer turned up at a preserved line as the train in service !

I don't see it as much different from the WSR, in their early days, running a lot of services with repainted Park Royal(?) DMUs. It seemed very mundane and a bit of a disappointment at the time, but in hindsight, they were quite interesting vehicles, and it's regrettable that they've since had to be scrapped. And it was certainly better than no trains to Minehead at all, which seems to be the preference 40+ years on.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rodent279 said:

First vehicle is I believe one of the Interfrigo vans used for Spanish onion traffic, and other perishables

Transfesa blue rather than Interfrigo white, but yes, one of the “onion vans”.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

Transfesa blue rather than Interfrigo white, but yes, one of the “onion vans”.

That's the one. I thought Interfrigo didn't sound right, but I couldn't think of the other. Thanks.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Western Aviator said:

Doing some “research” yesterday I came across this unusual photo by Jeremy Gould on Flickr of 50046 running through Reading on the down main line with Westbury-bound stone empties. Interesting to see a couple of Tiphook KPAs in amongst the Bardon PHAs.

Booked for a 56, the appearance of 50046 'Ajax' at Reading on the 18:00 Thorney Mill to Westbury was a pleasant surprise.

Likewise there were three Tiphook hoppers on hire to Tilcon to boost the Rylstone trains when the PGA’s were used!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1