Prototype for everything corner.

On 18/06/2021 at 18:53, montyburns56 said:

58 005 & 58 004 at Toton 1985 by Adrian Nicholls

58 005 & 58 004 at Toton TMD. 02/03/85.

Reminds me of when I used to get tired of all the HSTs going round the club test track and put a 'Terrier' each end of a NGS Inspection Saloon and tell them the LBSCR got there first... :)

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

4 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

What idiot parked those Presflos so close on converging roads ??!?

Not to mention a set of sidings apparently divulging straight onto a running line. Totally unrealistic. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Phil Himsworth said:

Are they the remains of a removed double slip?

8 hours ago, PatB said:

Not to mention a set of sidings apparently divulging straight onto a running line. Totally unrealistic. 

It looks to me like a normal if economical way of protecting the running line where any shunting of the siding is done from the running line. A double slip would, I think, only be provided here if it was necessary to provide a headshunt for shunting of the sidings to be done with the loco clear of the running line. Looking at the 1934 OS 25" map on the NLS site, when these sidings were the station goods yard, Northenden Junction signal box was at the far end of the station, so I suspect the points are operated by a ground frame - which would be consistent with the layout of the point rodding seen. Release of the ground frame from the box would lock the running line signals. 

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, Phil Himsworth said:

Are they the remains of a removed double slip?

Same trap arrangement at Carlisle, the exit from Collier Lane sidings.

t.jpg.c746e607de6924b893e767d9b815e695.jpg

Both traps seen here at the bottom left, this is also the exit on to a running line from platform 6 to Newcastle.

t1.jpg.38d10724f93974d50d5977dae0e60f0a.jpg

Bottom left again, these are on our EM model but it is built exactly to scale - it was fun getting them to work as well...

• Like 9

BEN_BUCKI_KWVR_5820_20031_Haworth_19_06.21_02.JPG.7ca3bfe04b2d970108015bc057056e30.JPG

The KWVR continuing to give good value for this thread :)  Weekend just gone- S160 in US Transportation Corps colours, piloting a Railfreight class 20, hauling a train that had a Pullman as the lead coach...

BEN_BUCKI_KWVR_Vulcan_Haworth_18_06.21_13.JPG.8df105c3c9e89c49b32235e7e6fdaf9e.JPG

...and the day before, the Prototype loco "Vulcan" (in a livery I don't think it ever carried in service), luggage van, van in a 'modern' private-owner livery advertising a local brewery, and standard brake.  If only the luggage van was a non-prototypical livery like NR yellow, or bright red, it would be looking very much like a Hornby Railroad train pack ;) 

• Like 12
  • Funny 4

On 21/06/2021 at 23:07, 73c said:

The Traps, if that's what they are, look interesting.

On 22/06/2021 at 12:21, Compound2632 said:

It looks to me like a normal if economical way of protecting the running line where any shunting of the siding is done from the running line. [...]

23 hours ago, 4069 said:

That's a very ordinary, very common design of trap points. Just one that Peco haven't made yet :)

A new set installed last year - during lockdown! - at The Strathspey Railway.  Take a look here at the post for 21st June.
https://signallingstrathspey.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2020-07-12T21:44:00%2B01:00&max-results=7&start=12&by-date=false

click here for image

Incidentally, the full turnout from the main line, installed in March 2020 immediately before lockdown, is a BRAND NEW one, chairs are marked LU 2019.  Bullhead S&C are still made for London Underground.

Edited by DavidBird
Added link direct to image.
  • Like 3

On 22/06/2021 at 12:21, Compound2632 said:

It looks to me like a normal if economical way of protecting the running line where any shunting of the siding is done from the running line.

If a runaway occurred in the sidings towards the main line, a vehicle on the outer track in the photo would end up with one wheel outside the rails so will come to a stop; something on the inner track however would end up with its wheels still inside converging rails which, if it the vehicle went far enough, could end up re-railing it.

Would a vehicle just not roll that far when off the rails? Is there some other mechanism that would stop it? Would it not re-rail itself when the rails converge but just stop / fall over / crumple in on itself? Is it theoretically possible it could re-rail itself but considered unlikely enough that the risk that isn't worth addressing further?

• Like 2