Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Although it's not that clear in these pictures it seems that part of the Kyle of Lochalsh line was used as temporary road in 1990!

Photo taken 1990 (c) Alex Ingram

By Alex ingram

I have a feeling that has happened more than once.

The rock along that stretch is extremely unstable and is constantly fracturing and falling on the road.

There have been plans to move the road well inland. I don't know whether anything has come of it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

More recently as well.  Found this sequence of pictures from Highland Council

https://www.flickr.com/photos/highlandcouncil/albums/72157628908964901

Apparently there were complaints from motorists at the time taken to open the what is in effect a level crossing.  To save costs the road lights were interlinked with the existing retb signalling, and the train had to be proved clear of the section, rather than just the level crossing....  of course they could have driven round the closure but that would have taken a lot longer than waiting... but thats not good enough...

Still it did for a time have that very rare beastie, a bus-replacement-rail-service, for the Highland Council school service.

• Like 8

On another forum, someone has posted a colour photo of ex-GW pannier tank 6431 in black livery but with orange/black/orange lining as normally used on a green loco. 

I can't ever remember seeing a lined black BR steam engine with anything other than red/black/grey lining. I wonder if this is unique? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

I wonder if it's a very dark, oil-stained shade of green under the lining ??!?

Yes, I think that is the general opinion. Forget my initial enthusiasm. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

I wonder if it's a very dark, oil-stained shade of green under the lining ??!?

Not necessarily. A handful of black paniers had MT lining, some 15xx amongst them, and seemed to work in and out of Paddington on ECS IIRC. Someone has written a short magazine article listing those so adorned, but I can't remember how long ago, or which journal.  

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, melmerby said:

In "Great Western Way" there is a picture of 6412, at Monmouth Troy in 1959, in lined black and the lining "appears" to be orange.

In the corrections to GWW that the HMRS issued in 2009, it is acknowledged that the locomotive is actually green.

Edited by 4069
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 23/06/2021 at 18:31, montyburns56 said:

Although it's not that clear in these pictures it seems that part of the Kyle of Lochalsh line was used as temporary road in 1990!

By Alex ingram

Reminiscent of the Anton Anderson Memorial Tunnel in Alaska (also known as the Whittier tunnel) - a shared use rail and road tunnel which is apparently 4.1km long and can handle road traffic in one direction at a time or a train.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

For a moment there, I thought it was a single power car running in reverse! I had images of the driver hanging out of a window to see where he was going :o

On pausing it, I could see it was a pair, with the telephoto lens shortening them.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ian Morgan said:

For a moment there, I thought it was a single power car running in reverse! I had images of the driver hanging out of a window to see where he was going :o

On pausing it, I could see it was a pair, with the telephoto lens shortening them.

I thought pretty much the same... I had to rewind a couple of times before I saw the lead car.

Then came the Class 60 which was in the background hauling two (failed?) 37s with a wagon load of 37(?) PGAs(?) - no wonder 60s are still used.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JN said:

Then came the Class 60 which was in the background hauling two (failed?) 37s with a wagon load of 37(?) PGAs(?) - no wonder 60s are still used.

Very rare indeed, it was usually the other way around!  At the time the reliability of the 60's were so bad that they were often sent out in pairs, so it could be that the 37's were just there as insurance as they had run out of working class 60s.  They were known as "Egg timers"  not because of their shape (I think the 58's were known as egg timers for a while because they were thin in the middle) but because they would last about 5 mins before stopping...

Mind you, they must have still been more reliable than the Networkers were around the same time which were truly dire...

5 hours ago, Zomboid said:

Reminiscent of the Anton Anderson Memorial Tunnel in Alaska (also known as the Whittier tunnel) - a shared use rail and road tunnel which is apparently 4.1km long and can handle road traffic in one direction at a time or a train.

As seen in the tv show Alaskan Railroad   plenty of trains but didnt see much of road traffic  one episode showed the track repacement through the tunnell.

• RMweb Premium

(as commented on the Flickr link) not really that odd, except perhaps for using a GUV on BR Standard bogies with the rest of the train on B4/CW, limiting top speed to 90 mph

Would there have been many dual-braked GUVs with ETH wiring on BR1/2 bogies?  (pic taken in August 1979 so presumably the a/c would need to be on, even just for basic ventilation)

Edited by keefer
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, 4069 said:

In the corrections to GWW that the HMRS issued in 2009, it is acknowledged that the locomotive is actually green.

I wonder how they managed to get such a uniform black colour in a colour photo?

The other colours in the picture look OK.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

50 031 'Hood' at Slough on the Plymouth - Paddington by Anthony Guppy

50 031 'Hood' passes Slough on the 11.25 Plymouth - Paddington

So, thanks to not building any vans or catering vehicles beyond the Mk1 variants, a spiffy, relatively high status express is has at least 3 non-matching vehicles in its make up. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, PatB said:

So, thanks to not building any vans or catering vehicles beyond the Mk1 variants, a spiffy, relatively high status express is has at least 3 non-matching vehicles in its make up. 

If I'm remembering my trainspotting from Fairmile in the Lune Valley in the 1970s/80s correctly, the first Mk 3 vehicles on the WCML were catering vehicles, replacing the Mk 1 ones, so the usual formation of the London-Glasgow trains was a Bk 1 BG, Mk 2 d/e/f* SOs, Mk 3 buffet, Mk2 d/e/f FOs, Mk 2 d/e/f/ FKB - or something along those lines. 

*I never could distinguish between the varieties of air-conditioned Mk 2.

• Like 4