Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

50 031 'Hood' at Slough on the Plymouth - Paddington by Anthony Guppy

50 031 'Hood' passes Slough on the 11.25 Plymouth - Paddington

Should this one have gone in the Class 50 thread? Looks like an everyday scene for the time to me, or am I missing something? 

• Agree 4

8 hours ago, Western Aviator said:

Should this one have gone in the Class 50 thread? Looks like an everyday scene for the time to me, or am I missing something? 

Well it's the GUV in the mix that I was thinking of, but it seems that it wasn't that unusual.

• Like 1

Maybe the 31 thought it could sneak away with its 'swag' of a couple of BGs, a DMU, and a Mk1 compo from the sidings without anyone noticing? 

Imagine the cliche'd conversation - "Sorry sir, but I am going to have to ask you to accompany me to the station". 

I'll get me coat..........

• Like 3
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

Maybe the 31 thought it could sneak away with its 'swag' of a couple of BGs, a DMU, and a Mk1 compo from the sidings without anyone noticing? 

Imagine the cliche'd conversation - "Sorry sir, but I am going to have to ask you to accompany me to the station". 

I'll get me coat..........

Excuse me sir....... Is this your DMU?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Well it's the GUV in the mix that I was thinking of, but it seems that it wasn't that unusual.

It was no more unusual than the picture of 50007 on the Milford Haven newspaper empties at Newport that you posted earlier this month :wink_mini:

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

"Theirs was a love that dare not speak its name..."

Seriously though, I'm struggling to work out what was going on. Had the 86 just pushed the failed unit into the station??

86029 304037 at Macclesfield 1975 Hugh Searle

55-32 86029 304037 1G61 2H96 Macc 06051975

It's quite possible that the 304 had failed enroute, the platform is the loop looking towards Manchester

• Like 1

I recently came across a picture of a Fairfield Shipbuilding and Engineering loco being used on a railtour. It's of a two axle steeple electric taken in 1962 in Govan goods yard and around 50 people are sitting on two bogie bolsters! See BR Diesel Traction in Scotland page286.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, w124bob said:

It's quite possible that the 304 had failed enroute, the platform is the loop looking towards Manchester

That's what i thought, but then I thought about how they had then ended up with an express train blocked by the EMU in the station.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

Maybe the 86 had failed and the 304 had dragged the whole train into the platform? 

(Well I can dream.....)

Well, I have seen a loaded Freightliner being "rescued" by a pair of class 310's. I don't know how far they did it from, but they were seen propelling the liner train into Northampton station one evening from another train.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

You may think that running three different front end varieties of green class 33s is a little too far fetched, especially when you have brush painted the window surrounds of one of your syp models; only to discover your shade of yellow was different to that of your rtr models lower panel and the whole thing looks completely unrealistic. 

Is it tho' ?

42852870_1881681618614033_5929356794856996864_n.jpg.4a0afa28477097ffcfecec2d171a2a48.jpg

I love these odd, early transition diesel liveries, especially when mixing corporate colours, logos, TOPS numbers and green with small/large yellow panels, in varying proportions. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

A standard DMU vehicle I guess, but am I the only who didn't know that some of the Met Camm DMUs had a Buffet built in?

https://www.railcar.co.uk/data/vehicle/59574

TSLRB Sc59574 Class 111 by emdjt42

DMU: Sc59574 Dundee MPD

Didn't realise they lasted so long . Anyone any idea when they were last used as actual buffets?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

A standard DMU vehicle I guess, but am I the only who didn't know that some of the Met Camm DMUs had a Buffet built in?

https://www.railcar.co.uk/data/vehicle/59574

TSLRB Sc59574 Class 111 by emdjt42

DMU: Sc59574 Dundee MPD

I have a vague recollection of travelling in a preserved one on the Worth Valley in the late '70s - or am I mistaken?

• Like 1

On 26/06/2021 at 19:40, montyburns56 said:

Occasionally there would be a blue GUV at the front of a morning up train from Newbury, I used to catch it from Reading to Maidenhead, often 50 hauled (I remember people getting on at Twyford and immediately turning up the steam heat control in the Mk1 compartment to full, oblivious to the fact 50s were ETH only) mid '80s. Also a blue GUV on an express in Penzance station one morning being loaded with crates of broccoli directly from a farm tractor and trailer on the platform (it was the seaward side of the station) - Easter '77 I think - Geology field course in Cornwall.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 28/06/2021 at 21:29, Wickham Green too said:

Your memory is faultless ........... that's the one that's now on the G.C.R. ( they also have a class 120 Trailer Buffet )

This one, third vehicle in this 4-car lash-up back in 2018.

IMG_6561.JPG.2e0fae5c59eeb25164939274a7c877bc.JPG

Edited by Davexoc
Photo restored
  • Like 8

13 hours ago, Artless Bodger said:

I have a vague recollection of travelling in a preserved one on the Worth Valley in the late '70s - or am I mistaken?

It's a pity the KWVR don't still have it, it would make a nice addition to their preserved 101 for 'Railcar Wednesdays' :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Who says you can't run a coal wagon with a Pullman Car?

1962 - Clapham Junction from John Turner's collection:

c.09/1962 - Clapham Junction.

c.09/1962 - Clapham Junction.

(I can't seen any coupling dangling between the 21t mineral and Medusa, can you?)

Steven B.

• Like 18