Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Steven B said:

Who says you can't run a coal wagon with a Pullman Car?

1962 - Clapham Junction from John Turner's collection:

c.09/1962 - Clapham Junction.

(I can't seen any coupling dangling between the 21t mineral and Medusa, can you?)

Steven B.

Pullman gave you an "old fashioned" experience of luxury.

Maybe it's coal for the stove?:D

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, jonny777 said:

Railcar.co.uk suggests that the last two were taken out of service in August 1981. 

https://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-111/operations

But I think they stopped being used as buffets long before then. Same with the Gloucester Class 119s and Trans-Pennine Class 124s, I think their use as actual buffets was very short lived.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, ianmacc said:

Is that definitely 1985? Thought the 06s were out of traffic by then? Unless that’s why it’s in prototype for everything of course! 

Click on the image. Flickr caption says Feb 1980

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Steven B said:

(I can't seen any coupling dangling between the 21t mineral and Medusa, can you?)

Steven B.

I would not expect there to be, Medusa would have no screw couplings of her own being fitted with drop head buckeyes, so the coupling of the 21t would have to be slung over the hook of Medusa, leaving nothing to hang down.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The triumph of hope over experience.

image.png.776b2cf08a3f31ecdc566cb6e8f4ec1e.png

Taken from Rock Dinosaur's blog https://scottishrsl.livejournal.com/201130.html

In very tatty external condition, Clayton Type 1 (Class 17) No. D8616 awaits departure from Larbert with a failed GRCW (Class 100) 2-car DMU forming the 09.11 Falkirk Grahamston to Stirling on 23rd March, 1970. The DMU had failed at Falkirk. [Jim Binnie]

Faith in the new technologies of the day must have been great.

Regards

Ian

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Titan said:

I would not expect there to be, Medusa would have no screw couplings of her own being fitted with drop head buckeyes, so the coupling of the 21t would have to be slung over the hook of Medusa, leaving nothing to hang down.

That's what I was getting at - there's no sign of the 21t'ers coupling so it looks like they're made up into a train, rather than just sharing siding space.

Steven B.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Ian Smeeton said:

In very tatty external condition, Clayton Type 1 (Class 17) No. D8616 awaits departure from Larbert with a failed GRCW (Class 100) 2-car DMU forming the 09.11 Falkirk Grahamston to Stirling on 23rd March, 1970. The DMU had failed at Falkirk. [Jim Binnie]

Regards

Ian

I immediately assumed the DMU had pushed the Clayton to clear the line!

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

21 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Read further down the page

"Taken in February 1980"

Thanks.

I use my phone and didn’t realise you could click behind to go to the actual page!

Anybody know why the 06 and 25 qualifies for prototype for everything?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Steven B said:

That's what I was getting at - there's no sign of the 21t'ers coupling so it looks like they're made up into a train, rather than just sharing siding space.

Steven B.

More than just made in to a train, they were moving when the photo was taken - look at the relative position of the ground signal in the "going away" shot and its absence in the "approach" shot

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Titan said:

More than just made in to a train, they were moving when the photo was taken - look at the relative position of the ground signal in the "going away" shot and its absence in the "approach" shot

And the adjacent trackwork.

Points and no points.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, Ian Smeeton said:

Regards

Ian

A Clayton running that must be a record at that time!

• Like 3

On 29/06/2021 at 15:42, Steven B said:

Who says you can't run a coal wagon with a Pullman Car?

1962 - Clapham Junction from John Turner's collection:

Steven B.

Are you not supposed to look directly at Medusa, otherwise you'll be turned to stone? :)

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

58 minutes ago, SHMD said:

Was that after that derailment at Dinting?

Kev.

The flicr link describes what is going on. 

And here is 6050 at Dewsnap 8 days later https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/eurlammonia/e53e43c7 when I was fortunate to catch several of the wagons involved in the accident, some showing they had been on their sides.  https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/eurlammonia/ee70e22b3

Paul

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

I've just posted this on the N Gauge Forum but thought it might also be of a little interest here.

Browsing through my collection of Railway World magazines I came across this snippet in the "Motive power miscellany" section of the September 1966 issue:

"A WR Hymek Type 3, No. D7062 worked through to York on July 19 with a troop special from Windsor & Eton to Newcastle; the train had been routed via Gloucester, Birmingham New Street avoiding line, Derby, Sheffield avoiding line to York.  The locomotive was required back at Worcester later in the day to work the 17:25 Paddington service and therefore worked south on the 12:25 York-Bristol in tandem with Brush Type 4 No. D1992.  Another unusual diesel at work in the NER three days earlier was Metro-Vick Co-Bo No. D5706 which worked south out of Durham with a special, believed to be a troop train although its destination was not reported."

So, if any modellers of BR (NE) want a justification for buying a Hymek or a Class 28...

I do like the "trade-craft " element of these old magazine columns, where reports of unusual movements are pieced together from isolated sightings by enthusiasts at the lineside who had no instant way of communicating with each other to track the progress of a working.  In these days of instant access to real-time databases of train movements on a device in your pocket, it's useful to be reminded of how difficult it used to be to come by complete and accurate information.

Richard T

• Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1