Prototype for everything corner.

On 05/07/2021 at 21:08, Davexoc said:

I think you'll find the original is right, that is if they are Riviera's vehicles as shown below. Blue and cream was their livery...

92042g.JPG.2875701f680a154f7c41812fd6871b16.JPG

Thanks, I knew I remembered them :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Davey said:

BUT why oh why the exclamation mark. Totally unnecessary.

I always find a little variety in punctuation cheering. To me, @Wickham Green too's exclamation mark expresses their enthusiasm for the subject. A mere full stop would suggest they were merely responding out of a weary sense of duty!

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Davey said:

Interesting in that it's fitted with BFB wheels.

Davey

Ordered during OV Bulleid's tenure.

Maunsell's earlier design (later BR D3/12) was updated by Bulleid to be more like the LMS equivalent.

All delivered post Nationalisation.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Arpster said:

Ah, but @Compound2632 - what about the amazing interrobang‽

Damn it! I've been waiting for the an appropriate opportunity to slip one of those in for a long time. You beat me to it Doc...      (but I trust you).   >!)  ←Pinocchio's smiling face  (on its side).

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

Ordered during OV Bulleid's tenure.

Maunsell's earlier design (later BR D3/12) was updated by Bulleid to be more like the LMS equivalent.

All delivered post Nationalisation.

Nothing much to do with Maunsell, Bulleid (apart from the wheels) or the Southern Railway - it's an English Electric design modified with bigger driving wheels. The earlier three were also EE, internally much the same as GW No2 (15100) and the early LMS twin motor locos (later 12000-2).

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

Nothing much to do with Maunsell, Bulleid (apart from the wheels) or the Southern Railway - it's an English Electric design modified with bigger driving wheels. The earlier three were also EE, internally much the same as GW No2 (15100) and the early LMS twin motor locos (later 12000-2).

But each railway's version was subtly different.

The "Maunsell" ones were largely erected by the Southern with EE supplying just the power equipment.

To me that make's them a product of R Maunsell's tenure as CME, not a standard EE product.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, melmerby said:

But each railway's version was subtly different.

The "Maunsell" ones were largely erected by the Southern with EE supplying just the power equipment.

To me that make's them a product of R Maunsell's tenure as CME, not a standard EE product.

I did say "internally" with regard to the early ones but the later ones were supplied to many railways as a standard design (with 4ft diameter wheels).

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

..... and the Bulleid-era locos ( later called 'class 12' ) followed the Maunsell-era ones in having 4'6'' wheels more appropriate for trip-working speeds. The B.R. ( not-really-very ) standard locos followed with the bigger wheels - possibly because they gave greater third-rail/coupling rod clearance - but geared back down for shunting speeds ...... apart from what became the '09's, of course !

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

What's the colour of the 37 at Hereford?? ;)

Hereford 1993

37414 19 2 93 (2)

Faded and grubby Railfreight Construction livery? If that’s the wrong answer, you’ll have to give us a clue…

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Bought your Class 222 as "spares and repairs" from eBay but haven't repainted it yet? Not a problem:

27594183989_72732d76c3_w.jpg

222103 - 60193, Destined for East Midlands Trains by Kyle Baldwin, on Flickr

Nose forward Class 20 working on its own with an RTC Test car and a 75t crane (running slip brake tests on the crane):

29302713827_a36c9e2a4d_w.jpg

20097 with RTC Test Train including TC2 and 76t Crane - Crewe - 28 11 1987 by Dave Bower, on Flickr

Haven't quite finished your HST repaint in time for the exhibition:

AH 013 Crewe 43049

Steven B.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
On 06/07/2021 at 18:47, montyburns56 said:

Woooo, it's a ghost train!

BR Class 12 15231 - Tilcon Quarry, Rylstone 1980 by Martyn Hilbert

Ex BR Class 12 15231 - Tilcon Quarry, Rylstone.

All that clay can't be good for the airflow through the radiator...

• Like 2

On 26/06/2021 at 10:22, rodent279 said:

08's without wasp stripes do look odd to me. Photo by "blackwatch55013".

08691 'Escafeld' at Sheffield (Photo 6)

Thought the location looked familiar but I couldn't place it for a se. Its weird how the swimming pool looks like its directly the other side of the boundary wall. The line the loco is on now ends with a flashy light pretty much where in the same spot.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

I know it was probably quite a common sight back then, but it still looks weird to see a Sparky pulling a milk train.

85029 signal checked at Preston with a train of six wheel milk tanks in May 1979.

By Roger Sutcliffe

84002 milk tanks south at Stafford 15.05.1976

By Richard Clayton

I always thought 84s were ugly, but that one with its monocle and robot dots really takes the biscuit.

I never understood why they painted the 83s and 84s different from the other electrics. The 83 livery wasn't too bad, but on the 84 the angles are all over the place; the eye (well, my eye at any rate) wants the yellow paint edge to be either parallel to the opposite side (more or less acheived in the 83) or vertical (81, 82 and 85). The handrails don't help.

I have no idea how many 83s eventually got an 85 paint job, but here's one:

83001 Euston 27th August 1982

• Like 9

On 07/07/2021 at 01:47, montyburns56 said:

Woooo, it's a ghost train!

BR Class 12 15231 - Tilcon Quarry, Rylstone 1980 by Martyn Hilbert

Did it die of silicosis? 

• Funny 3