Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, keefer said:

Probably a faulty power car - train would just about manage on the level but would need help on the bank.

HSTs with only one operational power car were not allowed over the Devon banks unassisted. Since WR power cars could be changed at Plymouth for a return working, it was common to see a loco put on at Exeter St Davids rather than CAPE the train. Cross country HSTs on the other hand (as in the photo at Newton Abbot above) were often assisted from Plymouth to Exeter SD, from where they could proceed alone, to get the HST back to Neville Hill.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

HSTs with only one operational power car were not allowed over the Devon banks unassisted. Since WR power cars could be changed at Plymouth for a return working, it was common to see a loco put on at Exeter St Davids rather than CAPE the train. Cross country HSTs on the other hand (as in the photo at Newton Abbot above) were often assisted from Plymouth to Exeter SD, from where they could proceed alone, to get the HST back to Neville Hill.

That changed in later years and they were allowed providing certain conditions were met which included railhead conditions being good and prior arrangements being made for a clear road over specific sections.  Also 2+8 HSTs on one PC couldn't stop at Torquay in either direction or Totnes in the down direction whereas 2+7 HSTs could. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

5 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

Could they get up Lickey on one power car?

3 hours ago, DY444 said:

That changed in later years and they were allowed providing certain conditions were met which included railhead conditions being good and prior arrangements being made for a clear road over specific sections.  Also 2+8 HSTs on one PC couldn't stop at Torquay in either direction or Totnes in the down direction whereas 2+7 HSTs could. 

In 2001, we travelled as a family from Glasgow to Truro on an HST - our first (and likely only) rail trip together since emigrating to Canada. Somewhere between Crewe and Birmingham, one of the power cars failed, and we carried on with only one working. At Taunton, with our train already pretty full, we had to take on the passengers from a train from London which had failed there. Kids were sitting on parents’ knees, people were standing, and sitting on luggage, in the aisles and vestibules. Speeds were not high. Our eldest son, who is not the most discreet, was wondering out loud when the chickens in cages and the pigs were going to appear - he was not impressed by British railways.

I was wondering what was going to happen, as it was obvious that there was no way we were going to get over the south Devon banks with the train in this state. However, there were fitters waiting as we pulled into Exeter and, during a long station stop, they got the dead power car working again and we made it to Truro, several hours late.

I do wonder what Plan B had been if they hadn’t managed to get the power car restarted at Exeter - there was no obvious spare loco waiting. Also, if they could do that at Exeter, why couldn’t they have done it at Birmingham or Gloucester?

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

My one came into Newton with the '50' already attached - and I don't think either power car was working !

One power car should have been running, just to supply ETS power for air-con and the buffet, with the 50 just for traction.

1 hour ago, pH said:

I do wonder what Plan B had been if they hadn’t managed to get the power car restarted at Exeter - there was no obvious spare loco waiting. Also, if they could do that at Exeter, why couldn’t they have done it at Birmingham or Gloucester?

Sounds like a loss of coolant. I doubt Gloucester was an option, and would a long stop in Brum cause too many knock-on delays to other services?

• Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, DY444 said:

It is a very slow climb from Totnes stop on a Paxman powered 2+7 cross country set on one power car over the banks, almost down to walking pace. With an MTU 2+7 it is slightly more lively.

Edited by 45125
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

That's a HST Prototype pulling an APT Power Car. 

252001 Hest Bank 1977 by Martyn Hilbert

Class 252 252001 (43001) - Hest Bank.

Anyone know if the APT power cars were under power in these trains 

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, russ p said:

Anyone know if the APT power cars were under power in these trains 

I think that would have been unlikely - I doubt the controls of the prototype HST would have been compatible with the APT power car.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Welly said:

I think that would have been unlikely - I doubt the controls of the prototype HST would have been compatible with the APT power car.

Not so sure as surrogate DVT HSTs controlled 91s 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, russ p said:

Not so sure as surrogate DVT HSTs controlled 91s 

Both providing power sometimes, bet that combination accelerated nicely.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, simon b said:

Both providing power sometimes, bet that combination accelerated nicely.

Absolutely,  I got chance to drive a 91 on an HST set and that went very well 

Recently been driving 88/68 combinations on box jobs on the East Coast they fly when the 88 has its pan up 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

820 Grenville  Malago Vale 1972 by Andy Kirkham

NOV 72 12. 820 Grenville passing Malago Vale carriage sidings. Monday, October 30th,  1972.

What looks to be an illegal formation to me . An air braked van obviously using it Vac through pipe in the rear three vehicles.  Brake regs stated that the automatic brake must be operable on the last three vehicles of a fully fitted train

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

10 hours ago, russ p said:

What looks to be an illegal formation to me . An air braked van obviously using it Vac through pipe in the rear three vehicles.  Brake regs stated that the automatic brake must be operable on the last three vehicles of a fully fitted train

The headcode says it's a class 8

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, 62613 said:

The headcode says it's a class 8

It hasn't got a van so I hope it's fully fitted and not the front portion of a divided train

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, russ p said:

It hasn't got a van so I hope it's fully fitted and not the front portion of a divided train

Might it be a local arrangement, shown in the Sectional Appendix? There used to be a working from Duport, Llanelli, to Llandeilo Jct (initially composed of Twin Bolsters, then Bolster Es) which ran as an unfitted Class 9 without a 'van. Admittedly, it rarely touched 15 mph, but it did involve about a mile of the Fishguard main line.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

Might it be a local arrangement, shown in the Sectional Appendix? There used to be a working from Duport, Llanelli, to Llandeilo Jct (initially composed of Twin Bolsters, then Bolster Es) which ran as an unfitted Class 9 without a 'van. Admittedly, it rarely touched 15 mph, but it did involve about a mile of the Fishguard main line.

Not heard of  that on a passenger line before.  Trains from tees yard to the south bank area could run without a van providing they were routed by the goods lines. During daylight hours  a red flag was often tied around the rear drawhook instead of a tail lamp

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

It might be a move that's permitted under the relevant Table of the Sectional Appendix.

e.g. Table H1 Working of freight vehicles without a brake van in rear "in accordance with Rule 153(b)".

(Which says a brake vehicle must be provided as near to the end of the train as possible. If this is not possible then the 'man in charge of the the train' may ride on the engine)

EDIT: Beaten to it!

Edited by keefer
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

A Class 50 on a freightliner on the WR was a very infrequent occurrence. This video features 50046 at Bristol Temple Meads in 1989:

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Class 50s were frequently found on Freightliner trains on the northern  part of the WCML, before their transfer to the WR. They worked north of Crewe and into Scotland, some even worked to Holyhead.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, nigb55009 said:

Class 50s were frequently found on Freightliner trains on the northern  part of the WCML, before their transfer to the WR. They worked north of Crewe and into Scotland, some even worked to Holyhead.

You’re right. I had intended to write “A Class 50 on a freightliner on the WR was a very infrequent occurrence” but for some reason I didn’t type it. Caption now amended, thanks.

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Friendly/supportive 1